Re : [torchwood] Re: New Torchwood series 'pos sible' but it won't be for a whi...

  • JoAnne Briere
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 11, 2012
      I though Gareth David-Lloyd was an interesting actor; with good lines and decent storytelling, I think as an actor he could go place.

      De : pfyre <oshaun@...>
      À : torchwood@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : lundi 9 avril 2012 23h53
      Objet : Re: [torchwood] Re: New Torchwood series 'possible' but it won't be for a whi...

      Actually what Ianto lacked was RTD's complete and utter infatuation with
      Eve Myles.

      pfyre

      /A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though
      he knows that you are slightly cracked. /Robert Meltzer

      On 4/9/2012 8:49 PM, psionycx wrote:
      > Sadly, Jack probably would have done better with his boyfriend as a moral compass. But that relationship fell because poor Ianto lacked Gwen's impregnable plot armour.

    • JoAnne Briere
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 11, 2012
        I wholeheartely agree with this post.

        Johanne

        De : psionycx <dsyrek@...>
        À : torchwood@yahoogroups.com
        Envoyé le : lundi 9 avril 2012 21h26

        I was going back to your original post about how Jack's immortality made him a "superhero", and technically he wasn't immortal for most of MD, which meant that what he really needed was someone to keep his *** alive!

        But going back to your point, other than plot armor that keeps her alive after everyone else has died, Gwen offers nothing especially unique in terms of balancing out Jack's personality. Indeed, if anything she literally demonstrated on "Day One" that she is reckless to the point of being a menace herself. No wonder the police seemed to prefer keeping her on the far side of the tape at crime scenes! The threat of site contamination should she decide to throw something at a snarky co-worker was just too high! Her little attempt to discipline Owen for disrespecting her cost how many lives?

        What made her a "natural leader"? She was serving coffee at the police station and getting knocked about trying to break up pub brawls! Again, this is what made her such an implausible character who got by purely on producer love.

        Despite her supposed role, Gwen was as much a source of trouble as anything else. Oh, and who was it who had to go charging off and spill everything about Torchwood to Dr. (double-agent) Patanjali? Oh, right, that would be Gwen! Because her "natural leadership" skills routinely cause her to dive in face-first without considering the ramifications of anything she does!

        As I also mentioned in another post, Jack didn't really need a moral compass. He was in fact doing fairly well. He also was not lacking in human emotion, since all his stories involved him being angsty over something or another.

        If anything it was Gwen, not Jack, who was the loose cannon of Torchwood.