Re: New Torchwood series 'possible' but it won't be for a whi...

  • psionycx
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
      Ummm....you do realize that there are other people working for Torchwood besides Gwen right? Indeed, the writers actually sort of ruined the whole "Gwen is the voice of the common man" thing by adding backstories that showed that Tosh and Owen were not originally alien catchers either. Ironically, only Ianto had actually worked for Torchwood before he met Jack.

      Even more contrived was Gwen's rapid ascension from people's constable to veritable leader of the team! Yes, by all means, let's just put the beat cop with virtually no experience in charge! Ianto, Owen and Tosh must have either been too busy with pet projects to take over the role while Jack was gone, or else they surrendered in the face of Gwen's superior ability to nag!

      Gwen, someone who once used Retcon to make her fiance forget that she had just confessed to having an affair, was hardly a "moral compass" sort of person compared to anyone else in the Hub. She was unquestionably perkier and whined a lot more. I suppose that provides some "accountability" in the form of a hen-pecked fellow's desire to just get a nag off his back.

      The biggest threat that Jack really posed on his own was apathy. Had he felt less obligation to the team or the world he would have bailed. The Doctor is just as prone to popping up in London as in Cardiff (more so actually). So waiting by the Rift was a gamble. Plus it's not as if someone with his knowledge couldn't get off of Earth or out of that time period if he really wanted to.

      To me it has always seemed that RTD imagined Gwen as a breakout character like Rose was for the Doctor. Didn't really work out though. She's barely likeable, insufferably self-righteous, hypocritical and frankly it's an unexplained mystery as to what Jack sees in her.

      Sure Owen wanted to bang her. But we all saw what sort of gal he chose to pull while in possession of a pheromone spray that could have gotten him ANY woman (or man). His minimum requirement for a shag is "breathing". Rhys was just a classic victim of her passive-aggressiveness. As was poor Andy the "oh-you-didn't-come-to-my-wedding-to-see-me-marry-another-man" ex-boyfriend.

      Sadly, Jack probably would have done better with his boyfriend as a moral compass. But that relationship fell because poor Ianto lacked Gwen's impregnable plot armour.

    • dizzheart@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
        In a message dated 4/9/2012 5:50:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        dsyrek@... writes:

        Ummm....you do realize that there are other people working for Torchwood
        besides Gwen right? >>

        ??? Not after COE, there aren't. Even before that, Jack and Gwen, who are
        natural leaders, were the de facto heads of the team.

        Janice

      • psionycx
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
          I was going back to your original post about how Jack's immortality made him a "superhero", and technically he wasn't immortal for most of MD, which meant that what he really needed was someone to keep his *** alive!

          But going back to your point, other than plot armor that keeps her alive after everyone else has died, Gwen offers nothing especially unique in terms of balancing out Jack's personality. Indeed, if anything she literally demonstrated on "Day One" that she is reckless to the point of being a menace herself. No wonder the police seemed to prefer keeping her on the far side of the tape at crime scenes! The threat of site contamination should she decide to throw something at a snarky co-worker was just too high! Her little attempt to discipline Owen for disrespecting her cost how many lives?

          What made her a "natural leader"? She was serving coffee at the police station and getting knocked about trying to break up pub brawls! Again, this is what made her such an implausible character who got by purely on producer love.

          Despite her supposed role, Gwen was as much a source of trouble as anything else. Oh, and who was it who had to go charging off and spill everything about Torchwood to Dr. (double-agent) Patanjali? Oh, right, that would be Gwen! Because her "natural leadership" skills routinely cause her to dive in face-first without considering the ramifications of anything she does!

          As I also mentioned in another post, Jack didn't really need a moral compass. He was in fact doing fairly well. He also was not lacking in human emotion, since all his stories involved him being angsty over something or another.

          If anything it was Gwen, not Jack, who was the loose cannon of Torchwood.

        • dizzheart@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
            What made her a natural leader was then when circumstances happened in
            which she had to lead, she did.

            RTD is interested in powerful female characters who remain female, rather
            than redesigned males. Lots of other writers aren't.

            Janice

            --- In _torchwood@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:torchwood@yahoogroups.com) ,

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
              Actually what Ianto lacked was RTD's complete and utter infatuation with
              Eve Myles.

              pfyre

              /A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though
              he knows that you are slightly cracked. /Robert Meltzer

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                Sorry there is nothing about Gwen that I find to indicate that she's a
                'natural leader' - more that she's self-centered and feels entitled and
                simply PUSHED her way into leading while Jack was off with the Doctor.

                As for RTD's writing of powerful female characters - it wasn't so much
                that he was writing Gwen as strong but that he was tooling the whole
                damned show as a showcase for Eve and didn't give a damn what characters
                became collateral damage in her wake. Sorry but he has no real clue
                about writing a long term strong female character than virtually any
                other male scriptwriter out there.

                I didn't start out hating or even disliking Gwen but by the time
                'Adrift' was broadcast she was and continues to be completely
                irredeemable to me.

                Hell, in MD she's preaching to Oswald about all the bad people she'd
                dealt with as a constable - BS - she wasn't constable long enough that
                have that sort of experience - it was painfully obvious from the get go
                of series one that she was so new she practically squeaked when she walked.

              • dizzheart@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                  Wow, that's quite a diatribe. May I ask why you punished yourself by
                  watching the show so faithfully? (I can tell your comments are based on having
                  studied it pretty closely - as opposed to a cursory knowledge based on
                  having seen a couple of eps.)

                  I like Eve Myles too, but I don't have to like her to respect her
                  character. The same for RTD.

                  Janice

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                    I watched the show initially for John's Capt. Jack Harkness and then for
                    Jack and Ianto. Halfway thru the first series I was ready to be done
                    with Gwen and as I said by the time Adrift aired I found her
                    irredeemable and nauseating.

                    I only know of Eve Myles from a few articles, etc. and interviews
                    connected with Torchwood. She doesn't make a great impression on me as
                    an actress [I was never impressed by her Gwyneth in 'Unquiet Dead'] but
                    I don't 'hate' Eve - I hate Gwen and how Torchwood was distorted to make
                    her special.

                  • dizzheart@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                      Well answered. I can only say that, although you make a number of good
                      points about inconsistencies in plots and such, I still like both Jack and
                      Gwen, and still grieve for Tosh, Ianto and Owen.

                      Janice

                      On 4/10/2012 12:20 AM, _dizzheart@..._ (mailto:dizzheart@...)
                      wrote:
                      > Wow, that's quite a diatribe. May I ask why you punished yourself by
                      > watching the show so faithfully? (I can tell your comments are based on
                      having
                      > studied it pretty closely - as opposed to a cursory knowledge based on
                      > having seen a couple of eps.)
                      >
                      > I like Eve Myles too, but I don't have to like her to respect her
                      > character. The same for RTD.
                      >
                      > Janice

                    • Daren :)
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                        Open Question ??

                        I've often puzzled as to why RTD Killed off Tosh Owen and then Lanto

                        Like do you think that knowing that the end of season two the show would not be picked up for a further year RTD decided a What the Fcuk and decided to kill off some cast members to spice things up ??

                        And then seeing the reaction he decided to kill off another cast member ???

                        Do you think the underlying reason for making the crew of Torchwood helpless on the run was a way of doing a sort of MacGyver seeing how they would work without all the really cool toys or the Power or Authority ???

                        Why do you think the remaining members of Torchwood were still being hunted down at the beginning of MD with Frobisher dead who else is issuing those blank papers to kill off the Torchwood crew ????

                        Daren

                      • dizzheart@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                          The rumors I read at the time said RTD wanted to bring in Freema Agyeman
                          as Martha Jones as a permanent team member, and also to find a spot for
                          Russell Tovey. When it got to COE, it was thought that might be the last
                          Torchwood, so Ianto was killed off as part of the drama.

                          Dunno how true any of that was.

                          Janice

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                            Are you saying that Lanto Tosh and Owen were rid off to make way for Freema and Russel Tovey ???

                            Daren

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 9, 2012
                              No, I'm not; I'm saying those were the RUMORS I saw. For whatever reason,
                              if true, it didn't work out.

                              Janice

                              In a message dated 4/9/2012 11:37:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

                              _twoshedsluxuryyacht@..._ (mailto:twoshedsluxuryyacht@...)
                              writes:

                              Open Question ??

                              I've often puzzled as to why RTD Killed off Tosh Owen and then Lanto

                            • sem
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 10, 2012
                                Frankly, even though she came across as mousy, I thought Tosh became the
                                strongest female character at the end. I can't see Gwen doing what Tosh did.
                                Even the way Tosh came into Torchwood was pretty impressive, even though she
                                was trying to save her mother. And of course spending who knows how long in
                                that empty jail cell.

                                And she was brave and very smart. In the episode where they're in WWII, she
                                saved the day with a lot of guts and street smarts. And towards the end,
                                with Owen, well... there's never a dry eye when I watch that. She was
                                terrific.

                                Just my 2 cents (or pence or whatever).

                                Catzy

                              • kaki4@nc.rr.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 10, 2012
                                  I agree with pfyre and also wathced the show a lot. I love Captain Jack and Ianto (together and spearate), loved Tosh, loved the idea of the show, and could survive Gwen. To me she was the irritating Barney Fife tyoe character. But when people say she was a strong female lead or a moral compass or any of that stuff, I just disagree. I like the idea of strong female characters, but I'll take Tosh over Gwen any day (I do not want kids thinking the things she did make a strong, good woman!).

                                  Thinking of RTD and strong female characters, give me Debbie Novatny (can't think of the UK QAF character name right now). flawed, brash, but human and so powerful (to me anyway) as a female character.

                                  So, back to me thinking of how could we go back to TW in Wales with Andy, perhaps. Or add new folks, then keep them around long enough to care about them!

                                  Kaki

                                • dizzheart@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 10, 2012
                                    Personally I don't think there will ever be any further Torchwood done.
                                    Everybody's getting older and that ship has sailed.

                                    Janice

                                  • Jack
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 10, 2012
                                      Captain jack need to hook up with doctor again.

                                      Sent via my LG Marquee from Boost Mobile

                                      kaki4@... wrote:

                                      >I agree with pfyre and also wathced the show a lot. I love Captain Jack and Ianto (together and spearate), loved Tosh, loved the idea of the show, and could survive Gwen. To me she was the irritating Barney Fife tyoe character. But when people say she was a strong female lead or a moral compass or any of that stuff, I just disagree. I like the idea of strong female characters, but I'll take Tosh over Gwen any day (I do not want kids thinking the things she did make a strong, good woman!).
                                      >
                                      >Thinking of RTD and strong female characters, give me Debbie Novatny (can't think of the UK QAF character name right now). flawed, brash, but human and so powerful (to me anyway) as a female character.
                                      >
                                      >So, back to me thinking of how could we go back to TW in Wales with Andy, perhaps. Or add new folks, then keep them around long enough to care about them!
                                      >
                                      >Kaki
                                      >

                                      >---- dizzheart@... wrote:
                                      >> Wow, that's quite a diatribe. May I ask why you punished yourself by
                                      >> watching the show so faithfully? (I can tell your comments are based on having
                                      >> studied it pretty closely - as opposed to a cursory knowledge based on
                                      >> having seen a couple of eps.)
                                      >>
                                      >> I like Eve Myles too, but I don't have to like her to respect her
                                      >> character. The same for RTD.
                                      >>
                                      >> Janice
                                      >>

                                      >> In a message dated 4/9/2012 9:03:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                      >> oshaun@... writes:
                                      >>

                                      >> Sorry there is nothing about Gwen that I find to indicate that she's a
                                      >> 'natural leader' - more that she's self-centered and feels entitled and
                                      >> simply PUSHED her way into leading while Jack was off with the Doctor.
                                      >>
                                      >> As for RTD's writing of powerful female characters - it wasn't so much
                                      >> that he was writing Gwen as strong but that he was tooling the whole
                                      >> damned show as a showcase for Eve and didn't give a damn what characters
                                      >> became collateral damage in her wake. Sorry but he has no real clue
                                      >> about writing a long term strong female character than virtually any
                                      >> other male scriptwriter out there.
                                      >>
                                      >> I didn't start out hating or even disliking Gwen but by the time
                                      >> 'Adrift' was broadcast she was and continues to be completely
                                      >> irredeemable to me.
                                      >>
                                      >> Hell, in MD she's preaching to Oswald about all the bad people she'd
                                      >> dealt with as a constable - BS - she wasn't constable long enough that
                                      >> have that sort of experience - it was painfully obvious from the get go
                                      >> of series one that she was so new she practically squeaked when she
                                      >> walked.
                                      >>
                                      >> pfyre

                                    • psionycx
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 11, 2012
                                        Tosh had TONS of potential! The problem was (aside from RTD's whole All-About-Eve thing) was that as the show progressed they seemed to be aiming for the lowest intellectual factor.

                                        Consider: the Jack that we first had in Doctor Who was REALLY smart. Smart enough to crosswire the "pan-dimensional surfboard", a piece of amazingly advanced technology, into the console of the TARDIS, a piece of technology more advanced than anything that humans will EVER build in the Whoniverse!

                                        Yet over the course of the show, it seems as if Jack's overall intelligence drops every time he dies and his resurrected. This seems to be meant to make him less geeky and more of a stock action guy who just has occasional flashes of brilliance (usually when it's too late to be useful).

                                        Tosh had the same problem as compared to Gwen. Other than nagging and an increasing proficiency with firearms (remember that she had none when she started) Gwen was almost terminally stupid (didn't know what a GPS was!), but loved to run around and get into scraps. Tosh was far too prone to thinking logically and approaching alien threats as a scientific problem. Kind of the way the Doctor taught UNIT to do during his tenure with them. There's a reason why a physician/xenologist like Martha quickly rose in the UNIT ranks.

                                        Back at Torchwood, rank is a function of bluster it seems. Tosh lacked this trait. She was more oriented towards applying knowledge to any situation. RTD's love affair with the geeky seemed to have been brief. Could Tosh have made a much more exciting character, and possible leader? Absolutely! Martha demonstrated the merits of the smart action girl. The science heroine who has brains instead of just bombast.

                                        Perhaps Tosh just wasn't Sarah Palin enough. Being good with a gun and uninterested in thinking seems to be a virtue in these troubled times. Tosh was (IMHO) prettier than Gwen (if only they had dressed her better) WAY smarter and had WAAAAAYYY more potential as a character.

                                        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "sem" <catz@...> wrote:

                                        > Frankly, even though she came across as mousy, I thought Tosh became the
                                        > strongest female character at the end. I can't see Gwen doing what Tosh did.
                                        > Even the way Tosh came into Torchwood was pretty impressive, even though she
                                        > was trying to save her mother. And of course spending who knows how long in
                                        > that empty jail cell.
                                        >
                                        > And she was brave and very smart. In the episode where they're in WWII, she
                                        > saved the day with a lot of guts and street smarts. And towards the end,
                                        > with Owen, well... there's never a dry eye when I watch that. She was
                                        > terrific.
                                        >
                                        > Just my 2 cents (or pence or whatever).
                                        >
                                        > Catzy

                                      • JoAnne Briere
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 11, 2012
                                          I wasn't going into those discusssion as too many times, I've heard "why are you around if you dislike it so much?"

                                          Well things are I love TW - with a team. I could dislike and dismiss all about Gwen, because there was enough of everyone else around, to find pleasure in TW. I never like her, found her to not be a good female role model at all. I could never befriend someone like Gwen, sleeping around, hurting people, not thinking nor stepping back. Judging harschly others, refusing to have anything said remotely true about her.

                                          Tosh, Owen, Ianto made up enough air time, to make the serie challenging, interesting and flawed.

                                          The writer created his characters, loved some, hated some; it's his priviledge. It's mine to agree, disagree.
                                          COE was not TW - it was a story in his folder, he wanted it out, and it put some of the TW people in it , throughtout. It gave a chance for Ianto to show his brain and action, for Rhys to be smarter than his wife, yet as cluelss at that. But the story was something else, in which he interspeded some bits of.

                                          Jack kept changing, too fast for reality. Long life doesn't mean the man can adapt quickly to all situation, actually it would be the opposition.

                                          Anyway, I won't be around for more TW - as MD was really the end of the line for me. Does it mean I should reminisce and talk about the way it was and it attracted us.

                                          Johanne

                                          De : psionycx <dsyrek@...>
                                          À : torchwood@yahoogroups.com
                                          Envoyé le : mercredi 11 avril 2012 11h20

                                          Tosh had TONS of potential! The problem was (aside from RTD's whole All-About-Eve thing) was that as the show progressed they seemed to be aiming for the lowest intellectual factor.

                                          Consider: the Jack that we first had in Doctor Who was REALLY smart. Smart enough to crosswire the "pan-dimensional surfboard", a piece of amazingly advanced technology, into the console of the TARDIS, a piece of technology more advanced than anything that humans will EVER build in the Whoniverse!

                                          Yet over the course of the show, it seems as if Jack's overall intelligence drops every time he dies and his resurrected. This seems to be meant to make him less geeky and more of a stock action guy who just has occasional flashes of brilliance (usually when it's too late to be useful).

                                          Tosh had the same problem as compared to Gwen. Other than nagging and an increasing proficiency with firearms (remember that she had none when she started) Gwen was almost terminally stupid (didn't know what a GPS was!), but loved to run around and get into scraps. Tosh was far too prone to thinking logically and approaching alien threats as a scientific problem. Kind of the way the Doctor taught UNIT to do during his tenure with them. There's a reason why a physician/xenologist like Martha quickly rose in the UNIT ranks.

                                          Back at Torchwood, rank is a function of bluster it seems. Tosh lacked this trait. She was more oriented towards applying knowledge to any situation. RTD's love affair with the geeky seemed to have been brief. Could Tosh have made a much more exciting character, and possible leader? Absolutely! Martha demonstrated the merits of the smart action girl. The science heroine who has brains instead of just bombast.

                                          Perhaps Tosh just wasn't Sarah Palin enough. Being good with a gun and uninterested in thinking seems to be a virtue in these troubled times. Tosh was (IMHO) prettier than Gwen (if only they had dressed her better) WAY smarter and had WAAAAAYYY more potential as a character.

                                          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "sem" <catz@...> wrote:

                                          > Frankly, even though she came across as mousy, I thought Tosh became the
                                          > strongest female character at the end. I can't see Gwen doing what Tosh did.
                                          > Even the way Tosh came into Torchwood was pretty impressive, even though she
                                          > was trying to save her mother. And of course spending who knows how long in
                                          > that empty jail cell.
                                          >
                                          > And she was brave and very smart. In the episode where they're in WWII, she
                                          > saved the day with a lot of guts and street smarts. And towards the end,
                                          > with Owen, well... there's never a dry eye when I watch that. She was
                                          > terrific.
                                          >
                                          > Just my 2 cents (or pence or whatever).
                                          >
                                          > Catzy

                                        • JoAnne Briere
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 11, 2012
                                            I though Gareth David-Lloyd was an interesting actor; with good lines and decent storytelling, I think as an actor he could go place.

                                            De : pfyre <oshaun@...>
                                            À : torchwood@yahoogroups.com
                                            Envoyé le : lundi 9 avril 2012 23h53

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 11, 2012