RE: [torchwood] Re: New Torchwood series 'possible' but it won't be for a while, say bosses

  • sem
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 8, 2012
      Loved this email. Reminded me of a lot of things I'd conveniently forgotten,
      but you almost have to do this in the Whoniverse.

      However, this sentence:

      "Maybe the world too, since Martha seemed to have taken the whole of UNIT
      along on her honeymoon such that they were studiously unavailable."

      Made me spit coffee out of my nose I was laughing so hard.

      I also have a real problem with Gwen needing to remind Jack of the "human"
      aspect in TW. For all intents and purposes, he is/was human (even tho not of
      earth), and spent all his time after meeting the Doctor trying to help
      humans as well as others ("Meat" comes to mind.). What does he need
      reminding of? He fought in the wars! Hell, he WANTS to be mortal again. OK,
      end of rant. I'm just really annoyed that TW is no more. The tag team of DW
      and TW were real highlights of my tv-watching for a few years. It seemed
      completely logical that such a highly rated (and loved) show would continue.
      Silly me.

      Catzy

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 9, 2012
        Thank you! You raise some really excellent points about Jack by the way.

        The glaring absence of UNIT left me with a mental image of the Valiant flying off with "Just Married" banners streaming behind it and all UNIT personal gathering on some island with all communication frequencies jammed. Out-of-office auto replies leaving no clue as to where they had gone! XD

        Actually, at no point was Gwen really more genuinely moral than anyone else in the Hub. In "End of Days" Gwen was at the front of the line to do something absurdly dangerous (i.e. open the Rift) in order to save her boyfriend. Plus, after having a more-than-one-time affair with Owen she confessed to Rhys, purely because she selfishly wanted his forgiveness, but had proactively Retconned him so that no matter whether he did or not he would not remember her confession.

        The real clincher was in "Adrift" here she appears to show empathy (except to Andy). But in reality she is just out to prove Jack wrong. It turns out that he cares enough to see to the care of those Rift victims that come back too badly damaged to just be Retconned and returned to society. Gwen just second-guesses him and is surprised that the result was not what she hoped for.

        I agree with others here who have noted that RTD really seems to have tried to turn Torchwood into a vehicle for Eve Myles's career even if it meant driving said vehicle off of a cliff.

        Also, why drown Jack in so much angst if he is lacking in human feelings? Pretty much ALL of his stories, with or without Gwen, are about his emotions, regrets, lost loves, etc... By the time we get to MD Jack is just a plain woobie whose sole purpose is to highlight how quickly Gwen morphed into a superior action girl!