Re: New Torchwood series 'possible' but it won't be for a while, say bosses

  • badblokebob
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 7, 2012
      While I agree CoE ignored Torchwood's former "outside the government, beyond the police" stuff too easily, it felt more like a tweak than a complete betrayal to me, and the story was head and shoulders above anything in seasons 1 & 2 (both of which I largely enjoyed, incidentally).

      At the end of the day, I'd rather have writers focussed on telling a great story that may necessitate playing a little loose with previous continuity, rather than slavishly making sure everything fits and not focussing where they should. (Naturally the ideal is to uphold both.)

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Daren :\)" <twoshedsluxuryyacht@...> wrote:

      > I've noticed a lot of people mention that they liked COE and not season 1 and 2 and wished MD was more like COE
      >
      > COE had me peppering the screen of my TV with popcorn at how easilly the whole back story of Torchwood was dismissed so quickly The Torchwood Institute was always portrayed as a powerful agency able to negate any form of government authority I took it to mean that the Royal Authority it worked under trumped all other powers yet in COE we saw a backroom functionary able to completely decapitate the Torchwood Institute with the team on the run with no one and no where to run too
      >
      > What happened to all those secret warehouses of Alien goodies they had squirreled away all over the country leaving them with little more than a pair of contact Lenses
      >
      > I was really hanging my head in shame over that one and MD Don't get me started
      >
      > So the question is if everyone wants Torchwood to return in what form do they want it to be in ? Back in it's old Glory being sneaky and all powerful fighting Alien threats
      > Impotent and on the run like in COE or as a defacto arm of the CIA with the odd cameo from Jack fighting Corporate Greed ????
      >
      > I've made my choice
      >
      > Daren

    • psionycx
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 9, 2012
        Thank you! You raise some really excellent points about Jack by the way.

        The glaring absence of UNIT left me with a mental image of the Valiant flying off with "Just Married" banners streaming behind it and all UNIT personal gathering on some island with all communication frequencies jammed. Out-of-office auto replies leaving no clue as to where they had gone! XD

        Actually, at no point was Gwen really more genuinely moral than anyone else in the Hub. In "End of Days" Gwen was at the front of the line to do something absurdly dangerous (i.e. open the Rift) in order to save her boyfriend. Plus, after having a more-than-one-time affair with Owen she confessed to Rhys, purely because she selfishly wanted his forgiveness, but had proactively Retconned him so that no matter whether he did or not he would not remember her confession.

        The real clincher was in "Adrift" here she appears to show empathy (except to Andy). But in reality she is just out to prove Jack wrong. It turns out that he cares enough to see to the care of those Rift victims that come back too badly damaged to just be Retconned and returned to society. Gwen just second-guesses him and is surprised that the result was not what she hoped for.

        I agree with others here who have noted that RTD really seems to have tried to turn Torchwood into a vehicle for Eve Myles's career even if it meant driving said vehicle off of a cliff.

        Also, why drown Jack in so much angst if he is lacking in human feelings? Pretty much ALL of his stories, with or without Gwen, are about his emotions, regrets, lost loves, etc... By the time we get to MD Jack is just a plain woobie whose sole purpose is to highlight how quickly Gwen morphed into a superior action girl!