Re: New Torchwood series 'possible' but it won't be for a while, say bosses

  • Caroline P
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 6, 2012
      Plus Torchwood is expensive on DVD.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Lynn <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

      > It's not really the same situation. Fox doesn't get anything from the
      > syndication rights for House, because NBC Universal actually owns the
      > show. The only issue for Fox is whether the show's ratings (and therefore
      > the amount of money they bring in for advertising) justifies what they pay
      > Universal for the rights to air the show. On that basis, it's hard to say
      > that Fox made the wrong decision in choosing to end it after 8 years.
      >
      > Anyway, it's rather a different calculation than the one that either Starz
      > or the BBC, as non-advertiser supported channels, makes.
      >
      > Lynn
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM, sem <catz@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >
      > > It's kind of like House. It's the most syndicated show in the world, yet
      > > Fox pleaded poverty and asked all the stars to take pay cuts (except Hugh
      > > Laurie) and Lisa Edelstein quit instead. But they're making millions and
      > > millions in syndication. I know it's not quite like TW, but the faulty
      > > logic here is just the same. And of course House is ending in May.

    • psionycx
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 9, 2012
        Thank you! You raise some really excellent points about Jack by the way.

        The glaring absence of UNIT left me with a mental image of the Valiant flying off with "Just Married" banners streaming behind it and all UNIT personal gathering on some island with all communication frequencies jammed. Out-of-office auto replies leaving no clue as to where they had gone! XD

        Actually, at no point was Gwen really more genuinely moral than anyone else in the Hub. In "End of Days" Gwen was at the front of the line to do something absurdly dangerous (i.e. open the Rift) in order to save her boyfriend. Plus, after having a more-than-one-time affair with Owen she confessed to Rhys, purely because she selfishly wanted his forgiveness, but had proactively Retconned him so that no matter whether he did or not he would not remember her confession.

        The real clincher was in "Adrift" here she appears to show empathy (except to Andy). But in reality she is just out to prove Jack wrong. It turns out that he cares enough to see to the care of those Rift victims that come back too badly damaged to just be Retconned and returned to society. Gwen just second-guesses him and is surprised that the result was not what she hoped for.

        I agree with others here who have noted that RTD really seems to have tried to turn Torchwood into a vehicle for Eve Myles's career even if it meant driving said vehicle off of a cliff.

        Also, why drown Jack in so much angst if he is lacking in human feelings? Pretty much ALL of his stories, with or without Gwen, are about his emotions, regrets, lost loves, etc... By the time we get to MD Jack is just a plain woobie whose sole purpose is to highlight how quickly Gwen morphed into a superior action girl!