Re: [torchwood] Re: Season 4: American vs British TV

  • Donald Tennant
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 13, 2011
      From what I understand, he wrote Miracle Day as a 5 part series. Starzs is the one who wanted it as a 10 part series. Personally, I don't see why he could not have just written 2, 5 part series.

      "And Buffy Stakes Edward.....The End"
      - From T-shirt seen at Comic Con
      Donald Tennant - US2002045702
      LA-005-D No Last Call

      ________________________________
      From: elliot02uk <elliot02uk@...>
      To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:09 PM
      Subject: [torchwood] Re: Season 4: American vs British TV

      I can't help feeling that RTD should stop fighting the realisation that he needs to get back to where Torchwood started, in Britain, and put his trust in the army of talented writers waiting for him over here. Only then will we see the return of Torchwood as we knew it in seasons 1 and 2 (season 3 was a glitch and 4 best forgotten).

      Jean B

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, dizzheart@... wrote:

      > One reason I think Brit TV dramas are so often superior to US is that they
      > *don't* do a fixed number of episodes per season. They do as many as are
      > needed to tell the story, whether it be 4, 6 or 8. There's no filler, they
      > don't run out of story, and they always leave me wanting more.
      >
      > I also like their pacing better because they don't have to do the rigid
      > act breaks needed for commercials in US network shows. The stories flow
      > better.
      >
      > I loved Luther too; recently I've liked Whitechapel 1 & 2, Silk, Garrow's
      > Law, George Gentry, Judge John Deed, Law & Order UK, Scott & Bailey, Page
      > Eight, Five Days II and 55 Degrees North. Didn't care quite so much for The
      > Shadow Line or Moses Jones, but the acting was first rate.
      >
      > The only US show I think is on that level is The Good Wife.
      >
      > Janice
      >

      > In a message dated 11/10/2011 1:56:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > snark_angel@... writes:
      >
      > I, also on the western side of the pond, like some, but not all, of the UK
      > shows we get, just as I don't like all of the US shows we have. I think
      > my favorite UK show so far is "Luther." I agree that not enough episodes
      > are made. Because I have an Xfinity triple-play package with my ISP, I'm
      > fortunate to have the Starz channel included. I wasn't disappointed with
      > Torchwood's alliance with Starz per se, but very much so with season 4 as a
      > whole. I don't think it was disappointing because of the channel alliance;
      > it was just not a good season. I think Russell T Davies needs to stop
      > trying to change the show's "formula" and stick with what works best. If he
      > keeps doing what he's doing, IMO, he'll ruin the very show he created. (He
      > was the creator, yes??)
      >

      > Fatfriar1 wrote just below that "it is way past time for people to move on
      > from all of these crime dramas." Crime dramas are the "meat" of my
      > TV-watching and of my book-reading. Why should people move on from what they
      > like??
      >
      > Robbie

      Pacific Standard Time,
      > snark_angel@... writes:
      >
      > I, also on the western side of the pond, like some, but not all, of the UK
      > shows we get, just as I don't like all of the US shows we have. I think
      > my favorite UK show so far is "Luther." I agree that not enough episodes
      > are made. Because I have an Xfinity triple-play package with my ISP, I'm
      > fortunate to have the Starz channel included. I wasn't disappointed with
      > Torchwood's alliance with Starz per se, but very much so with season 4 as a
      > whole. I don't think it was disappointing because of the channel alliance;
      > it was just not a good season. I think Russell T Davies needs to stop
      > trying to change the show's "formula" and stick with what works best. If he
      > keeps doing what he's doing, IMO, he'll ruin the very show he created. (He
      > was the creator, yes??)
      >

      > Fatfriar1 wrote just below that "it is way past time for people to move on
      > from all of these crime dramas." Crime dramas are the "meat" of my
      > TV-watching and of my book-reading. Why should people move on from what they
      > like??
      >
      > Robbie

    • Tim hunt
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 8, 2012