Re: [torchwood] Re: Season 4: American vs British TV

  • dizzheart@aol.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 10, 2011
      One reason I think Brit TV dramas are so often superior to US is that they
      *don't* do a fixed number of episodes per season. They do as many as are
      needed to tell the story, whether it be 4, 6 or 8. There's no filler, they
      don't run out of story, and they always leave me wanting more.

      I also like their pacing better because they don't have to do the rigid
      act breaks needed for commercials in US network shows. The stories flow
      better.

      I loved Luther too; recently I've liked Whitechapel 1 & 2, Silk, Garrow's
      Law, George Gentry, Judge John Deed, Law & Order UK, Scott & Bailey, Page
      Eight, Five Days II and 55 Degrees North. Didn't care quite so much for The
      Shadow Line or Moses Jones, but the acting was first rate.

      The only US show I think is on that level is The Good Wife.

      Janice

      In a message dated 11/10/2011 1:56:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      snark_angel@... writes:

      I, also on the western side of the pond, like some, but not all, of the UK
      shows we get, just as I don't like all of the US shows we have. I think
      my favorite UK show so far is "Luther." I agree that not enough episodes
      are made. Because I have an Xfinity triple-play package with my ISP, I'm
      fortunate to have the Starz channel included. I wasn't disappointed with
      Torchwood's alliance with Starz per se, but very much so with season 4 as a
      whole. I don't think it was disappointing because of the channel alliance;
      it was just not a good season. I think Russell T Davies needs to stop
      trying to change the show's "formula" and stick with what works best. If he
      keeps doing what he's doing, IMO, he'll ruin the very show he created. (He
      was the creator, yes??)

      Fatfriar1 wrote just below that "it is way past time for people to move on
      from all of these crime dramas." Crime dramas are the "meat" of my
      TV-watching and of my book-reading. Why should people move on from what they
      like??

      Robbie

    • Tim hunt
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 8, 2012