Re: Season 4: American vs British TV

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 9, 2011
      I do agree that most of the good stuff on TV comes from America like Smallville and The Ghost Whisperer but sometimes the UK, particularly BBC, does make great drama like Survivors and Sherlock but unfortunatly it doesn't make enough of it, usually only six episodes per season and sometimes not even that and it's often cancelled after just one or two series. British television just doesn't have the resources as US TV does to make a really great and successful show and we really have the Americans to thank for Torchwood getting a fourth season.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Orchid" <ironorchid@...> wrote:

      > I spend more than half my viewing time watching US made TV and I love it.
      > Over here at the moment UK television seems to consists of The X Factor,
      > Soaps, cooking competitions or Downton Abbey so with the exception of the
      > odd documentary and Merlin once a week, US made TV shows like Lost Girl,
      > CSI, Haven etc., are my main viewing. I certainly have no animosity
      > towards all things American and it's definitely not a case of it being bad
      > TV because Americans are involved... IMHO, it was bad TV because RTD made
      > a mess of it. Rusty blew it big time! He took it from, eccentric, funny,
      > adult science fiction, with weevils in boiler suits, cranky fairies and
      > aliens in sports cars, to a pale imitation of a US cop show (admittedly via
      > one of the best pieces of science fiction I have ever seen in Children of
      > Earth).
      > I am not sure why it turned out this way, maybe I expected too much after
      > last season, maybe the people at STARZ had too much influence over his
      > writing, all I know is, that this season the aliens were gone, the humour
      > was gone, it was five episodes too long and John Barrowman spent most of his
      > time looking like he wanted to be anywhere but there. And to top it all
      > off I still have no idea whatsoever what it was all about, and you know, by
      > the time it reached the last couple of episodes I really didn't care. I
      > didn't feel it was bad because of American influence, I just thought it was
      > bad full stop.
      >
      > Orchid
      >

      > In a message dated 11/7/2011 7:48:16 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      > kevinnashesgirl@... writes:
      >
      > I know much it being said about Torchwood becoming bad because of Americans
      > being involved. I am not saying season 4 is bad or good, just saying what
      > heard. I watch many British TV shows and am on many British TV boards. I
      > hear many disparaging remarks about how bad American TV is. I disagree and
      > think this is a horrible trend on these boards (groups). I just question if
      > American and British TV shows are truly being judged by content or by the
      > country it is affiliated with. I am frankly sick of it.
      >
      > As for Torchwood coming to America...am I correct in the fact that the BBC
      > did not want it? Isn't Russel T. Davies still at the helm and still
      > British?
      >
      > I for one think there are many great American shows (some that surpass some
      > British TV shows). I know to each his own but this imaginary animosity
      > toward all things American TV is just a bit overboard.
      >
      > *Shirese Louie

    • Tim hunt
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 8, 2012
         so no season 5 of torchwood