Re: [torchwood] Season 4: American vs British TV

  • Orchid
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 8, 2011
      I spend more than half my viewing time watching US made TV and I love it.
      Over here at the moment UK television seems to consists of The X Factor,
      Soaps, cooking competitions or Downton Abbey so with the exception of the
      odd documentary and Merlin once a week, US made TV shows like Lost Girl,
      CSI, Haven etc., are my main viewing. I certainly have no animosity
      towards all things American and it's definitely not a case of it being bad
      TV because Americans are involved... IMHO, it was bad TV because RTD made
      a mess of it. Rusty blew it big time! He took it from, eccentric, funny,
      adult science fiction, with weevils in boiler suits, cranky fairies and
      aliens in sports cars, to a pale imitation of a US cop show (admittedly via
      one of the best pieces of science fiction I have ever seen in Children of
      Earth).
      I am not sure why it turned out this way, maybe I expected too much after
      last season, maybe the people at STARZ had too much influence over his
      writing, all I know is, that this season the aliens were gone, the humour
      was gone, it was five episodes too long and John Barrowman spent most of his
      time looking like he wanted to be anywhere but there. And to top it all
      off I still have no idea whatsoever what it was all about, and you know, by
      the time it reached the last couple of episodes I really didn't care. I
      didn't feel it was bad because of American influence, I just thought it was
      bad full stop.

      Orchid

      In a message dated 11/7/2011 7:48:16 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      kevinnashesgirl@... writes:

      I know much it being said about Torchwood becoming bad because of Americans
      being involved. I am not saying season 4 is bad or good, just saying what
      heard. I watch many British TV shows and am on many British TV boards. I
      hear many disparaging remarks about how bad American TV is. I disagree and
      think this is a horrible trend on these boards (groups). I just question if
      American and British TV shows are truly being judged by content or by the
      country it is affiliated with. I am frankly sick of it.

      As for Torchwood coming to America...am I correct in the fact that the BBC
      did not want it? Isn't Russel T. Davies still at the helm and still
      British?

      I for one think there are many great American shows (some that surpass some
      British TV shows). I know to each his own but this imaginary animosity
      toward all things American TV is just a bit overboard.

      *Shirese Louie
    • Tim hunt
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 8, 2012
         so no season 5 of torchwood