More satisfying

  • justMarian
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2011
      )
      I found the last two episodes more satisfying than most. It illustrates to me the difficulty of the task that the writers have assigned themselves.

      If the Danes character is to play a part in the ending--by sacrificing himself as Jack pleads, then he must be introduced at the beginning of the show. However, the emphasis on this characters takes away from the gelling of the new team in our minds. He is such an impelling character, played by a great actor, that no one can upstage him.

      Now that he is off-screen, I can see the team begin to become Torchwood again. I was gratified to see Captain Jack mention the Doctor, even though there can be no rescue from that corner any longer.

      Gwen's character is differentiated as more human than Jack. She is used to illustrate the old conundrum whether it is ever correct to sacrifice one for the many. Jack was willing to sacrifice his child the last go-round. But Jack was immortal and had innumerable children throughout his long history. Now mortal, he admits that he will fight for his life when given the chance. Gwen, now "immortal" still has the morals of a mortal. She is unwilling to accept the mantle of a 'god' and say that her child's one life is not important. I think it is important that both points of view are represented in the story line. The arguments go on, even now, whether it was moral to allow the trains to continue during the Holocaust once the Allies knew what was going on. They allowed them to continue to the death camps in order to keep their ability to read Nazi transmissions secret. We are still second-guessing that decision. The Torchwood storyline allowed us to have our cake and eat it too; Gwen's child is saved. The result could have been a lot grimmer.

      I found the revelation that Jack's old lover was still alive amazing, but I don't believe that the mystery is solved yet. I found myself counting up how old he might be. Who has he sold himself to in order to remain alive long enough to find Jack? To the 3 men? Which I noted where not certain what type of creature Jack was themselves. If they represent the pyramid people, they were at a very early stage themselves at that point and did not know their backers. I don't know if this will be an off-world story or not. Now that we are stranded away from Doctor Who, I don't know that I believe we have a universe where humans are ever really safe.