SPOILERS! Torchwood: Miracle Day finale - promos

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2011
      /*SPOILERS! Torchwood: Miracle Day finale - promos*/

      *Torchwood: Miracle Day finale - promos*

      *shakes head* You know I love Starz - I really do - it's gave us
      Torchwood: Miracle Day and more John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness
      is ALWAYS a good thing in my books! *eg* Of course it didn't hurt that
      we got some guy on guy action not once but twice and the second was far
      more than just smut it was a love affair.... *sigh*

      So my friends will tell you I've been a little worried [okay *a lot* - I
      was out on the proverbial ledge shortly before the premiere of Miracle
      Day] so my PiaP reassured me time again that Jack would be okay - he
      wouldn't die and he would be back to his immortal self by the end of the
      series.... But we all know RTD is a bastard who loves to throw twists
      into things and loves making the fans gnash their teeth. *bites nails*

      As a result I've been following the spoilers and interviews and anything
      else concerning the finale very closely. Now even if I hadn't been
      following the spoilers as closely - I would've had my reassurance *JUST*
      before the finale aired on Starz! The following are the promos that were
      aired just before the finale premiered.

      *Torchwood: Miracle Day - The Time Has Finally Come....*
      <http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl0ni8_torchwood-miracle-day-the-time-has-finally-come_shortfilm>

      *Torchwood: Miracle Day - It's The Final Act...*
      <http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl0ng3_torchwood-miracle-day-it-s-the-final-act_shortfilms>

      *Torchwood: Miracle Day - The Season Finale Is Next*
      <http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl0ndv_torchwood-miracle-day-the-season-finale-is-next_shortfilms>

      Please note that in the finale promo - 'The season finale is next' that
      we get a nice sequence of Jack running with a huge hole in his shirt and
      his chest nicely unblemished.... *G* I mean it is a very nice chest and
      really anyone catching that and not being aware of beforehand about
      spoilers would've only had about 2 minutes to contemplate it before the
      finale started.... but.... *shakes head*

      **click on the lins below for fullsized cap*

      http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8823/twdmdfinalact01.png
      http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2101/twdmdfinalact02.png
      http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7669/twdmdfinalact03.png
      http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/122/twdmdfinalact04.png

      --

      */"I'm so tired…. This mortal life it hurts so much." /*

      --Torchwood: Miracle Day episode 9 The Gathering
    • elliot02uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2011
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <oshaun@...> wrote:

        >.... But we all know RTD is a bastard who loves to throw twists
        into things and loves making the fans gnash their teeth <

        I learned a long time ago that RTD doesn't care what TW fans want (his comment,when the great wail went up after Ianto's pointless death, was "get over it"!) so I'm learning to accept that I will eventually see very little recognisable in Captain Jack and the series as a whole.
        If I'm wrong and the next series does an about-turn, I will be happy to apologise for my irascibility.

        Jean B
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2011
          I wholeheartedly agree that RTD is a bastard that in reality gives
          little thought to what the fans want no matter the consequences for the
          show.

          However, I don't have a problem with the Jack we saw in Miracle Day -
          well what little we saw especially in the eps where he seemed barely
          there. Because honestly IF Jack in Miracle Day acted the same as he did
          during the early series/seasons of Torchwood I would have been in there
          with Rex giving him a headslapping that would've left his head spinning
          and ears ringing!

          Jack in Miracle Day is different. He's mortal and while to us that might
          not seem all that big of a deal to someone that has lived for centuries
          now [in years lived he is now older than the Doctor] and for whom the
          dream of being mortal - of no longer returning from painful deaths - of
          no longer watching those he loves and cares for die of old age - this IS
          a dream come true. Like he told Gwen in 'Immortal Sins' now that he has
          this he's going to hold onto it with both hands! Suddenly life - his own
          life - is precious once again and worth fighting for. He's also still in
          grief over the loss of Ianto and no doubt his grandson and his
          estrangement from his daughter. All of those things work to make Jack
          different.

          John has commented that playing Jack this time around was different and
          exciting for him because the motivations and drives behind a character
          that he's played for years and especially since 'Parting of the Ways' as
          immortal are different, very mindbogglingly different. Yeah, he could
          and did still flirt and tease and laugh and was still cheeky at times
          but there is that added air of 'change' laid over the top of him. Under
          any more normal circumstances he should have and probably would have
          been celebrating - looking forward to growing old surrounded by those he
          cares for - maybe considering finding someone to love and grow old with.
          But instead he knows with no doubt that his sudden status of mortal is
          tied with the curse of Miracle Day that has been visited on the world
          and in order to restore the world and everyone to the way they should be
          he has to face that he will either die [presumably before he would've
          preferred] or be returned to original 'fixed point in time and space'
          immortal status.

          I loved seeing a different view of Jack - seeing under those layers he's
          added since becoming immortal, since all the betrayals and deaths and
          losses he's experienced. Do I want Jack to be mortal like he would want?
          To be honest no - because I love our Immortal Captain Jack Harkness, the
          impossible thing, the good man who became an even better man after his
          time with the Doctor and who continues to fight the good fight to
          protect the human race and the world. It's a cruel irony of fate/destiny
          but the world and the universe are better places because he IS a good
          man and will be around for a very long time, eternity [or at least until
          the Face of Boe dies - if he IS or will be the Face of Boe].

          I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Jack seek a little physical comfort with
          Brad the bartender but in the end still reaching out to Gwen because
          while it scratched that physical need/itch it also brought back all the
          losses - including Ianto - that he's endured and he needed to reach out
          for someone that could have some inkling of what he was talking about
          [too damned bad it was... never mind]. Within that episode I was
          impressed that they treated both couples pretty much the same - with the
          sex sequences cutting back and forth and that even when the Beeb edited
          they edited BOTH couples not just the gay couple.

          "Immortal Sins" was an eye opening experience as a fan of Jack - to get
          to see how and why he was the way he was at the start of Torchwood
          series one - what made him so different from the Jack we last saw on the
          Game Station in Doctor Who. It was beautiful seeing the love affair he
          had with Angelo no matter how ill fated they might have been. It also
          gives insight into Jack's responses to things like betrayal and requests
          for more information about himself.

          When he said in episode 9: "I'm tired, Gwen. This mortal life, it hurts
          so much." my heart ached for him. And we know he was more than willing
          to really die to stop the Miracle, to change the Blessing. So all the
          original Jack is there - the flirtation, the humor, the drive, the
          goodness, the strenght, the courage, the self-sacrifice - it was just
          sharing space with a Jack trying to cope with a sudden change to mortal
          making him so very vulnerable to whoever was behind the Miracle - which
          we know was the Families.

          I don't see why we wouldn't be seeing a Jack closer to what people
          expect from series 1, 2 and COE if there is another series.

          Guess that's my take on it.

          pfyre

          On 9/10/2011 4:20 PM, elliot02uk wrote:

          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre<oshaun@...> wrote:
          >

          >> .... But we all know RTD is a bastard who loves to throw twists into things and loves making the fans gnash their teeth
          >>
          >> I learned a long time ago that RTD doesn't care what TW fans want (his comment,when the great wail went up after Ianto's pointless death, was "get over it"!) so I'm learning to accept that I will eventually see very little recognisable in Captain Jack and the series as a whole.
          >> If I'm wrong and the next series does an about-turn, I will be happy to apologise for my irascibility.
          >>
          >> Jean B
        • Lori
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2011
            Pfyre, once again you've said everything beautifully. I completely agree with you. Nuff said. :-)

            Lori

> [...]
            > expect from series 1, 2 and COE if there is another series.
            >
            > Guess that's my take on it.
            >
            > pfyre
            >
            > */"I'm so tired…. This mortal life it hurts so much." /*
            >
            > --Torchwood: Miracle Day episode 9 The Gathering
            >

            > On 9/10/2011 4:20 PM, elliot02uk wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre<oshaun@> wrote:
            > >

            > >> .... But we all know RTD is a bastard who loves to throw twists into things and loves making the fans gnash their teeth
            > >>
            > >> I learned a long time ago that RTD doesn't care what TW fans want (his comment,when the great wail went up after Ianto's pointless death, was "get over it"!) so I'm learning to accept that I will eventually see very little recognisable in Captain Jack and the series as a whole.
            > >> If I'm wrong and the next series does an about-turn, I will be happy to apologise for my irascibility.

          • elliot02uk
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2011
> [...]
              > for more information about himself.
              >
              > When he said in episode 9: "I'm tired, Gwen. This mortal life, it hurts
              > so much." my heart ached for him. And we know he was more than willing
              > to really die to stop the Miracle, to change the Blessing. So all the
              > original Jack is there - the flirtation, the humor, the drive, the
              > goodness, the strenght, the courage, the self-sacrifice - it was just
              > sharing space with a Jack trying to cope with a sudden change to mortal
              > making him so very vulnerable to whoever was behind the Miracle - which
              > we know was the Families.
              >
              > I don't see why we wouldn't be seeing a Jack closer to what people
              > expect from series 1, 2 and COE if there is another series.
              >
              > Guess that's my take on it.
              >
              > pfyre
              >
              > */"I'm so tired…. This mortal life it hurts so much." /*
              >
              > --Torchwood: Miracle Day episode 9 The Gathering

              Wow! You have to be a University lecturer! I wish I had your ability with words (that's why my posts are so short!). You are right, of course. Captain Jack's character should develop and grow. However, the truth is I yearn for the Jack we saw in Seasons 1 & 2, despite the examples we saw of his coldness and even cruelty. But again, those words: "I'm so tired…. This mortal life it hurts so much." are heart-breaking, I agree. Oh dear, I guess all I can do is wait for Series Five. I hate speculating...

              Jean B