re: episode 5: Grim

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
      I would agree that this story is just too strung out, they could have ended it in 5 or 6 episodes and then started a new adventure. One point I will make is that the people who have obviously found a way to keep people who should be dead still living have also somehow found a way to make Jack mortal again. Who else could have done but them?
    • Bud Clark
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
        I agree. I'm starting to get bored. I couldn't get through the last ep in
        one sitting.

        Cheers,

        Bud Clark
        San Diego

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
          At 10:04 AM 8/8/2011, Bud Clark, annotated:
          >I agree. I'm starting to get bored. I couldn't get through the last
          >ep in one sitting.
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Bud Clark
          >San Diego

          there are fans who loved the first two seasons/series and hated
          everything beyond

          there are fans who loved everything up until they killed Ianto off in
          COE and have hated it everything since

          there are fans who loved everything up until they learned that STARZ
          was going to co-produce with BBC for Miracle Day

          there are fans who are still enjoying the show - despite its flaws
          and wobbles along with a new batch of fans brought in because of the
          new venue - STARZ

          I was quite worried I would not like the new series with the change
          in production to include STARZ and the setting it 'worldwide'

          but to be honest I've found I really do like it - is it perfect? -
          hardly - it drags a bit and while I have in fact found myself not
          hating Gwen nearly as much as I did in the earlier series/seasons - I
          am however getting more and more tired with the continued fixation on
          Gwen and her dad, Gwen and her baby, Gwen and her Rhys [I am so over
          superagent!supermom!superkickass!Gwen - blech] along with the focus
          on Rex, Vera and Esther and the scarcity of Jack most of the time *sigh*

          as for being bored with the series - best I can advise is - record it
          and play it back by fast forwarding through whatever bores you - I
          did this for another series I love - season 7 of that series was
          spectacularly horrid but fortunately things got better in season 8
          and by the middle of season 8 I was again looking forward to new eps
          - maybe that will help you with MD - if not there's always just not
          watching the eps and reading the recaps/reviews before deciding
          whether to watch and ep or not

          it's not wrong to love or hate or be somewhere in the middle in
          regards to the eps/show - it just simply highlights that everyone is
          individual in their likes, dislikes, etc.

          pfyre
        • JoAnne Briere
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
            (Edited the comments in below)

            Bravo Pfyre for saying so. At last, recognising and admitting the different perfection from perfectly good persons watching the show.

            I do watch it still, curious; per say, this show is not bad. It's just incredibly slow-going. That's the best I can write at this point; pfyre, you said eloquently what I think of the whole Gwen stuff. If I forwarded this way, the shows would be quick - since Gwen is still of no interest to me.

            Johanne

            > >I agree. I'm starting to get bored. I couldn't get
            > through the last
            > >ep in one sitting.
            > >
            > >Cheers,
            > >
            > >Bud Clark
            > >San Diego

            Pfyre a ajouté :

            > it's not wrong to love or hate or be somewhere in the
            > middle in
            > regards to the eps/show - it just simply highlights that
            > everyone is
            > individual in their likes, dislikes, etc.
            >
            > pfyre
          • sem
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
              I'm surprised at the scarcity of Jack (haven't seen it, but reading some of
              your emails), considering he's the whole reason the show exists and why
              people watch it.

              Catzy
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
                At 11:23 AM 8/8/2011, sem, annotated:
                >I'm surprised at the scarcity of Jack (haven't seen it, but reading
                >some of your emails), considering he's the whole reason the show
                >exists and why people watch it.
                >
                >Catzy

                a lot of it comes down to RTD and his agenda - reading the posts on
                the background of RTD, Torchwood, Excalibur and Gwyneth and Gwen was
                certainly eye-opening over on the Torch_wood comm on the LJs

                pfyre
              • Thistlethorne
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
                  Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one getting bored. I was only half paying attention to this last episode. I'm watching because it's Torchwood. The real question is going to be "Will I buy it on DVD?" Right now, the answer is no. Unless something spectacular happens, COE is the last Torchwood I'm purchasing.

                  Learn the rules so you know how to
                  break them properly
                  --Dalai Lama

                  ThistleThorne
                  ThistleThorne@...
                  http://www.fanfiction.net/~thistlethorne

                  I agree. I'm starting to get bored. I couldn't get through the last ep in

                  one sitting.

                  Cheers,

                  Bud Clark

                  San Diego

                  On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Michael <gilbeymichael11@...> wrote:

                  > **

                  > I would agree that this story is just too strung out, they could have ended

                  > it in 5 or 6 episodes and then started a new adventure. One point I will

                  > make is that the people who have obviously found a way to keep people who

                  > should be dead still living have also somehow found a way to make Jack

                  > mortal again. Who else could have done but them?

                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  torchwood-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  torchwood-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • pattikoala
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
                    best thing about this last ep.

                    Category JACK

                    I agree. I'm starting to get bored. I couldn't get through the last ep in

                    one sitting.

                    Cheers,

                    Bud Clark

                    San Diego

                    On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Michael < gilbeymichael11@... > wrote:

                    > **

                    > I would agree that this story is just too strung out, they could have ended

                    > it in 5 or 6 episodes and then started a new adventure. One point I will

                    > make is that the people who have obviously found a way to keep people who

                    > should be dead still living have also somehow found a way to make Jack

                    > mortal again. Who else could have done but them?

                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    torchwood-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    torchwood-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Donald Tennant
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
                      Well, if you think about it, it is in the middle of the series, there had to be some areas where it gets slow. with what happened at the end, I can see the momentum picking up.

                      "And Buffy Stakes Edward.....The End"
                      - From T-shirt seen at Comic Con
                      Donald Tennant - US2002045702
                      2011 Grand Masquerade CFC Sabbat Stagehand Lead
                      LA-005-D No Last Call

                      ________________________________

                      I agree. I'm starting to get bored. I couldn't get through the last ep in

                      one sitting.

                      Cheers,

                      Bud Clark

                      San Diego

                      On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Michael < gilbeymichael11@... > wrote:

                      > **

                      > I would agree that this story is just too strung out, they could have ended

                      > it in 5 or 6 episodes and then started a new adventure. One point I will

                      > make is that the people who have obviously found a way to keep people who

                      > should be dead still living have also somehow found a way to make Jack

                      > mortal again. Who else could have done but them?

                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                      torchwood-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      torchwood-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
                        I would hope it picks up with the next episode.

                        John

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
                          Episode 6 will have some sort of nudity or extended violence as it is the
                          other episode that is being edited in the UK.

                          John

                        • kaki4@nc.rr.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 8, 2011
                            ---- Thistlethorne <ThistleThorne@...> wrote:
                            > Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one getting bored. I was only half paying attention to this last episode. I'm watching because it's Torchwood. The real question is going to be "Will I buy it on DVD?" Right now, the answer is no. Unless something spectacular happens, COE is the last Torchwood I'm purchasing.

                            My COE is still in the wrapper! Watched it once on TV. Still watching and rewatching the first 2 seasons, plus sharing them with friends.

                            Kaki
                          • R Hall
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 9, 2011
                              Donald, I don't get why the show would get slow in the middle of the season.  I can't recall it getting slow in "Children of Earth."  Maybe "Miracle Day" should have been only five episodes rather than ten if that would make it "get busy" right from the start.  I think we got the point of the season in the first episode, and dragging it out only makes for boredom and disappointment.

                              John, I agree completely.  Let's hope the last five episodes are lots better than the first five.

                              Robbie