Re: [torchwood] Episode 5 : grim

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
      At 02:11 PM 8/7/2011, Melodi Rayl, commented:
      >YEAH grim... I'm totally mystified on what the 'reasoning' is behind
      >what they're doing in the modules. Can't wait to find out more!
      >

      >Hugs, Melodi

      speculation

      while I suspect the true results of the immortality of Miracle Day
      were a 'mistake' - I can see PhiCorp looking at the situation as one
      to make money - all those category 1 patients will be cremated/burned
      alive and PhiCorp will simply claim to still be providing them with
      care and services and charging the governments and insurance
      companies ad infinitem

      burning the category 1 is one way to limit the drain on the resources
      of the world - recall they said it wouldn't take long before the
      drain of supplies and space would cause chaos - getting rid of those
      who would be dead otherwise - relieves some of that drain

      *shrug* what I want to know is the reference to 'the families shall
      rise again' from ep 4 - what families???

      pfyre

    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers

        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers

        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers

        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers

        I really want to know if Dr. Juarez makes it out of the cliffhanger?

        At 02:11 PM 8/7/2011, Melodi Rayl, commented:
        >YEAH grim... I'm totally mystified on what the 'reasoning' is behind
        >what they're doing in the modules. Can't wait to find out more!
        >

        >Hugs, Melodi

        speculation

        while I suspect the true results of the immortality of Miracle Day
        were a 'mistake' - I can see PhiCorp looking at the situation as one
        to make money - all those category 1 patients will be cremated/burned
        alive and PhiCorp will simply claim to still be providing them with
        care and services and charging the governments and insurance
        companies ad infinitem

        burning the category 1 is one way to limit the drain on the resources
        of the world - recall they said it wouldn't take long before the
        drain of supplies and space would cause chaos - getting rid of those
        who would be dead otherwise - relieves some of that drain

        *shrug* what I want to know is the reference to 'the families shall
        rise again' from ep 4 - what families???

        pfyre

      • Wiebke White
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
          REply below

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
            At 04:53 PM 8/7/2011, John, annotated:
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >Spoilers
            >

            >I really want to know if Dr. Juarez makes it out of the cliffhanger?

            she's dead - no cliffhanger

          • pattikoala
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
              At 02:11 PM 8/7/2011, Melodi Rayl, commented:
              >YEAH grim... I'm totally mystified on what the 'reasoning' is behind
              >what they're doing in the modules. Can't wait to find out more!
              >

              >Hugs, Melodi

              speculation

              while I suspect the true results of the immortality of Miracle Day
              were a 'mistake' - I can see PhiCorp looking at the situation as one
              to make money - all those category 1 patients will be cremated/burned
              alive and PhiCorp will simply claim to still be providing them with
              care and services and charging the governments and insurance
              companies ad infinitem

              burning the category 1 is one way to limit the drain on the resources
              of the world - recall they said it wouldn't take long before the
              drain of supplies and space would cause chaos - getting rid of those
              who would be dead otherwise - relieves some of that drain

              *shrug* what I want to know is the reference to 'the families shall
              rise again' from ep 4 - what families???

              pfyre

              remember its someone from Jacks past--

              but the guy "lived" in the episode where he exploded the bomb he was wearing so burning doesnt alway kill

            • Joni
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011

                Yeah but that guy was badly badly burnt. I'm assuming that they are
                actually cremating people since that's what it looked like they were set up
                for. We're not talking burnt people, we're talking ash, maybe some bone and
                their fillings (and metal bits I suppose?). And while I can only assume the
                cells on each particle would still be alive, the actual person would cease
                to exist.

                Joni

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
                  At 08:44 PM 8/7/2011, pattikoala, annotated:

                  someone from Jack's past or not - they're leaving quite a trail of
                  breadcrumbs for us to debate over

                  but that was NOT complete immolation - like what is being done in
                  those modules - when they're done being burned all that will be left
                  is ash - unlike the guy that was wearing the bomb - there was still
                  recognizable parts of a body there

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
                    At 08:54 PM 8/7/2011, Joni, annotated:

                    >Yeah but that guy was badly badly burnt. I'm assuming that they are
                    >actually cremating people since that's what it looked like they were
                    >set up for. We're not talking burnt people, we're talking ash,
                    >maybe some bone and their fillings (and metal bits I suppose?). And
                    >while I can only assume the cells on each particle would still be
                    >alive, the actual person would cease to exist.
                    >
                    >Joni

                    I would say that once the bodies are burnt to ash - the likelihood of
                    'consciousness' still being present is pretty damned closed to nil.
                    In some cases - i.e. that guy who had the bomb strapped to his chest
                    - when they showed him from certain angles it was gruesomely obvious
                    that there was little to no 'brain' matter in the skull [gaping hole
                    instead] - so even if the eyes were blinking and 'looking' at Jack
                    and the others in the autopsy/morgue - the idea of true consciousness
                    is pretty damned debatable. For someone in that condition or the
                    woman we saw whose husband kept strangling her until her brain was
                    soup and her neck was dust - cremation might just be the kindest
                    alternative to allowing the 'body' to keep on living. I'm not
                    advocating what PhiCorp is doing - cause obviously they're not being
                    all that picky or careful who they label as category 1 - if the so
                    called miracle continued on for a lengthy period of time - there
                    would have to be a way to get rid of the bodies of those with no
                    brain functions, etc. Cause as pointed out early on - they simply
                    become breeding grounds for infections, bacteria, viruses, etc. *shudder*

                    pfyre