OT: Sad news....

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2011
      Elisabeth Sladen, Sarah Jane from 'Doctor Who,' Has Died at 63

      By: <http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/author/kevinwicks/>Kevin
      Wicks Posted: Tuesday, April 19th, 2011

      []

      Elisabeth Sladen

      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter>BBC
      News confirms that Elisabeth Sladen, the brown-haired beauty who
      played <http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctorwho>Doctor Who companion
      Sarah Jane Smith over the course of 40 years, has died of cancer. She was 63.

      Sladen first appeared as Sarah Jane on Doctor Who in 1973, becoming
      an iconic companion under both Jon Pertwee's and Tom Baker's Doctors
      in the long-running sci-fi series. She left in 1976, making recurring
      appearances in Doctor Who-related projects over the years. However,
      to the delight of longtime fans, she reprised her role in the modern
      series in 2006 opposite David Tennant's Tenth Doctor. Her return
      proved so successful that she received her own spinoff series, The
      Sarah Jane Adventures, in 2007.

      UPDATED: BBC's official statement:

      Official statement:

      It is with much sadness that we can announce Elisabeth Sladen, the
      much-loved actress best known for her role as Sarah Jane Smith in
      Doctor Who and CBBC's The Sarah Jane Adventures, passed away this
      morning. She was 63.

      Lis first appeared as Sarah Jane in Doctor Who in 1973 alongside the
      Third Doctor Jon Pertwee and stayed for three and half seasons
      working alongside Jon and the Fourth Doctor Tom Baker. She returned
      to the role on numerous occasions over the years and, in 2007, was
      given her own spin-off series on CBBC - The Sarah Jane Adventures -
      where she would appear alongside new Doctors David Tennant and Matt Smith.

      The Sarah Jane Adventures brought Lis a whole new generation of fans
      who grew up to love her alien-busting adventures. The series was
      hugely popular with fans young and old and won this year's RTS Award
      for best children's drama.

      Controller of CBBC Damian Kavanagh said tonight: "I'm deeply saddened
      and shocked by the news of Lis' untimely death. Lis brought joy,
      excitement and a sense of wonder to her many fans in her role as
      Sarah Jane Smith. She was adored by our young audience and I know all
      of them will miss her as much as I will."

      The creator of The Sarah Jane Adventures Russell T Davies said: "I
      absolutely loved Lis. She was funny and cheeky and clever and just
      simply wonderful. The universe was lucky to have Sarah Jane Smith;
      the world was lucky to have Lis."

      Steven Moffat, Doctor Who's Lead Writer and Executive Producer said:
      "'Never meet your heroes' wise people say. They weren't thinking of Lis Sladen.

      "Sarah Jane Smith was everybody's hero when I was younger, and as
      brave and funny and brilliant as people only ever are in stories. But
      many years later, when I met the real Sarah-Jane - Lis Sladen herself
      - she was exactly as any child ever have wanted her to be. Kind and
      gentle and clever; and a ferociously talented actress, of course, but
      in that perfectly English unassuming way.

      "There are a blessed few who can carry a whole television show on
      their talent and charisma - but I can't think of one other who's done
      it quite so politely. I once showed my son Joshua an old episode of
      Doctor Who, in which Lis appeared. "But that's Sarah Jane," he said,
      confused "In old Doctor Who. From years ago. How come she always look
      exactly the same?" It's not a comfort today, of course, but children
      will still be saying that fifty years from now."

      Keith Jones, Director, BBC Cymru Wales, said: "The Sarah Jane
      Adventures has been one of the most successful children's programmes
      on television in recent years - and without Elisabeth Sladen it would
      not have happened. A brilliant presence on screen and on set, she
      brought the excitement and energy of the Doctor Who family of
      programmes, of which we are very proud at BBC Wales, to a whole new
      generation. She will be missed by all at BBC Wales who worked with her."

      Roger Carey, who represented Lis for many years, said. "She was
      not just a client, but a dear friend. She was so positive about life
      and her natural energy was intoxicating. She couldn't believe her
      luck when her career was resurrected in her own series."

      Lis had been suffering from cancer. She leaves behind a husband,
      actor Brian Miller, and her daughter, Sadie

      source:
      <<http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/04/19/elisabeth-sladen-sarah-jane-from-doctor-who-has-died-at-63/>http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/04/19/elisabeth-sladen-sarah-jane-from-doctor-who-has-died-at-63/>

      I found myself surprisingly? choked up over this. She was only 63 and
      while it wasn't widely known - she'd battling cancer for some time
      and quite ill.

      *sniffle*

      Elisabeth was a woman of uncommon grace and good humor from all
      accounts and the world will be a little less bright with her passing.

      pfyre
      --
      'Precious and rare all Love is, gender matters not.'