The classic Doctor Who monster that terrified young John Barrowman

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2010
      The classic Doctor Who monster that terrified young John Barrowman

      <http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/09/6a00e551becc98883400e5539d78058833-800wi.jpg>
      The classic Doctor Who monster that terrified young John Barrow

      By Carole E. Barrowman - Chicks Dig Time Lords

      Carole Barrowman talks about growing up as a fan
      of Doctor Who alongside her younger brother John
      - who became famous as the Doctor's sexiest
      companion, Captain Jack Harkness, in this excerpt
      from the anthology Chicks Dig Time Lords.

      When my baby brother, John, was born, the Doctor
      was in his second regeneration, Jamie was the
      Doctor's companion, and the TARDIS still had that
      new time capsule smell to it. I was scared of
      Daleks, terrified of the Cybermen, and the new
      baby in the Barrowman house was driving me mad.
      He cried constantly. Even after packing his mouth
      full of salt ‘n vinegar chips in an attempt to
      silence the alien creature, he still managed
      regularly to disturb the peace of my childhood universe.

      When the Doctor was in his third regeneration,
      ditzy Jo was his companion, I was still afraid of
      Daleks, a bit creeped out by the Master, but the
      baby brother was growing on me. In fact, so much
      so that while shopping in Glasgow one Saturday
      morning, I insisted – and when I say insisted I
      mean forced with my arms clamped tightly around
      his chest – he stand outside a department store
      window for two or three minutes to make sure the
      mannequins weren't really Autons and that they
      were not poised to crash out of the display and
      follow us home. They were not and they did not,
      but baby brother checked his back the entire trip.

      When the Doctor was in his fourth regeneration,
      first Sarah Jane and then K9 were his loyal
      companions, Davros emerged from suspended
      animation with only minor injuries and John and I
      were finding our place in a new world. It was the
      late 70s, and my family had recently emigrated
      from Scotland to the United States. John and I
      spent many Sunday evenings watching the Doctor's
      exploits on WTTW in Chicago, relishing in the
      campiness of this particular Doctor's persona,
      and, at least for me, in the curiosity of
      journalist Sarah Jane. Next to Bob Woodward and
      his cohorts, I'm convinced Sarah Jane influenced
      my initial career choice. Problem was, in my
      world no newsrooms were offering time-travel as a
      perk. Two years ago in Cardiff Bay, John and I
      ran into Elizabeth Sladen (aka Sarah Jane). I
      mumbled incoherently when John introduced us (let
      me add here that I behaved in a similar fashion
      the first time I met David Tennant only with more
      gushing and giggling on my part).

      The classic Doctor Who monster that terrified young John Barrow

      Despite my advancing age during this incarnation
      (19ish), I remained skittish of Daleks and John
      continued to be terribly traumatized from his
      incident with the Autons in Glasgow. Although my
      family settled into our new lives in the US
      fairly smoothly, those Sunday nights held a
      certain nostalgia for John and me. We could
      almost taste the Doctor's jelly babies.

      When the Doctor was in his fifth regeneration,
      well, honestly, I couldn't take him seriously as
      a Time Lord. This Doctor reminded me far too much
      of Dorothy Sayer's foppish detective Lord Peter
      Wimsey. Plus around this time I was watching
      reruns of All Creatures Great and Small and all I
      could see in this Doctor was Tristan Farnon –
      adorable vet. I expected that at any moment he'd
      do a flea and tic check on K-9. This Doctor's
      companion was Tegan, an "airline hostess" (it was
      the 80s), and later Peri, short for Perpugilliam
      (the writers had to be on drugs) who I seem to
      recall spent a lot of time dressed in shorts the
      width of a valance and skin-tight leotards. As
      young Americans, John and I loved that Peri was
      the Doctor's first American companion – and she
      would remain the only American companion until
      the entire series regenerated in 2005 and Captain
      Jack Harkness (a.k.a. my baby brother) and his
      Chula ship landed on the Whovian landscape.

      During much of the fifth Doctor's exploits, I was
      in graduate school at Northern Illinois
      University studying the history of the novel, the
      Covenanters, John Milton and the Protestant
      Revolution. John was finishing high school,
      performing in amateur productions and high school
      musicals and reveling in the exploits of the
      Carringtons on Dynasty. The Doctor receded in our
      shifting universes, but John and I were known, on
      occasion, to begin phone conversations to each
      other humming the trademark electronic melody: "Bungalung, bungalung, woo hoo!"

      During the Doctor's sixth through eighth
      regenerations I got married, got tenure, and had
      children; therefore, I've very little memory of
      my own activities – never mind knowing the
      defining moments of those particular Doctors or
      their trusty companions. I did, however, continue
      to nurse a deep dread of Daleks. In fact, I
      remember waking up in a cold sweat one night when
      my son's Darth Vader toy started rasping from
      under his blankets. I was convinced I was about to be exterminated.

      "Kill Davros!" I shrieked at my husband before I'd let him back into bed.

      Despite John's dabbling in the Lucas universe in
      the 70s and 80s and my developing passion for
      Mulder and his X-Files, John and I remained
      steadfast fans of the Doctor. It was during these
      final regenerations of the classic Doctor that
      John walked into a theater in London's West End
      for an open audition for a revival of the Cole
      Porter's Anything Goes and walked out with one of
      the lead roles. He went on to star in Andrew
      Lloyd Weber and Cameron Mackintosh's biggest
      musicals, sang Sondheim at The Kennedy Center,
      played Broadway with Carol Burnett, performed in
      a number of TV shows both in the UK and the US,
      and released a variety of CDs. Although his star
      was rising in the celebrity firmament, he still
      quickened his pace whenever he walked past
      mannequins in a department store window.

      The classic Doctor Who monster that terrified young John Barrow

      The Doctor's ninth manifestation may have been a
      short-lived one, but it dramatically altered our
      sibling universe when, nine episodes into the
      season, Captain Jack conned his way onto the
      TARDIS and into the hearts of fans everywhere.
      This Doctor's significant companion was Rose
      Tyler, and, although his persona was more
      brooding than playful, his regeneration
      kick-started the franchise anew and sent Who fans
      like me into our Dalek lunch boxes, or to the
      back of our basements in search of our sonic
      screwdriver pens and wind-up K-9s (one sits on my desk to this day).

      As wonderful as it was to have the Doctor active
      in our universe again, this incarnation was
      traumatic on a personal level. To my complete
      horror in the final episode of the series, "The
      Parting of the Ways," the Daleks back my baby
      brother into a corner and kill him. Bam! Just
      like that. I was gobsmacked. I stared at my
      husband for a beat, paused the television, leapt
      from the couch, and grabbed for the phone. Within
      minutes of seeing my childhood fear realized and
      my unshakable paranoia vindicated, I tracked John
      down in London and interrogated him fully. What's
      your middle name? Mum's maiden name? My middle
      name? I had to be sure there was no permanent damage.

      Given our shared history with the Doctor, I
      reveled in John's stories about life in the
      TARDIS (of course it's real). In fact, when John
      first read the script that intimated Captain Jack
      was the Face of Boe, he immediately called
      Russell T Davies to make sure he'd read
      correctly. Then, disregarding the time difference
      between the UK and the US, he called me. It was 4
      a.m., and you don't want to know what my husband
      said before I could get back into bed.
      "Kill Davros!" pales in comparison.

      John had to keep this delicious detail a secret,
      but he was bursting with Whovian geekiness and he
      knew even if the Sontarans tortured me, the
      secret would be safe. John also knew no one else
      in the family would appreciate the sheer enormity
      and the utter brilliance of Russell's story arc.
      This cool revelation about Captain Jack
      notwithstanding, it's actually the single line
      mantra from Jack's debut episode that still sends
      John and I into a laughing jag.

      At the groom's dinner the night before my
      wedding, John managed to convince the bartender
      that he and my soon-to-be-brother-in-law were
      indeed old enough to taste a martini or two (they
      were not). Minutes before we were to be seated
      for dinner, I discovered John and
      soon-to-be-brother-in-law giggling like idiots at
      the bar. Naturally, I reamed John out in the
      classic manner of Big Sisters everywhere. He
      listened stoically, and then, as I marched away,
      he yelled across the bar in broad Glaswegian, "Carole, you're not my mother!"

      "Are you my Mummy?"

      Respond loudly and in Scottish please: "No, Carole! You're not my mother!"

      In the Doctor's tenth regeneration his companions
      were Rose Tyler, Martha Jones and Donna Noble – a
      mature companion with sass and sarcasm who
      reminded me of my own female friends. During this
      Doctor's tenure, Captain Jack was living and
      dying (and dying again) at Torchwood, the Daleks
      stopped off in Manhattan (yikes!) before battling
      for universal supremacy (again), and, in one of
      my favorite episodes of all time, the Doctor
      battled his wits with the Bard in "The
      Shakespeare Code." This Doctor's regeneration saw
      my children celebrate graduation and birthday
      milestones, John and his long-time partner,
      Scott, celebrate their civil union, and – at the
      height of this Doctor's escapades – after all
      these years I finally set foot on the TARDIS.

      John and I were collaborating on his
      autobiography, Anything Goes, and I was shadowing
      him on the Torchwood set for six weeks. On my
      first day, John decided to give me a personal
      tour of the set, which is spread across an
      industrial complex in Cardiff. The Torchwood Hub
      shares the same warehouse space as the interior
      set for the TARDIS. This means to get to the Hub,
      John and I had to walk directly in front of this hallowed space.

      Up to this point in my tour, John had been the
      consummate professional and polite baby brother.
      He introduced me to the Torchwood cast and crew,
      pointed out where to find lunch or dinner and how
      important it was to get to the food before Gareth
      David-Lloyd, and then he escorted me to a
      building at the rear of the complex. Inside, it
      was full of the flotsam and jetsam of years of
      scary monsters and fabulous aliens.

      "Wait here a minute," John said, disappearing
      behind a heavy black safety curtain.

      I waited and waited and when I began to worry
      that baby brother had left me there so he could
      beat me and Gareth to the food wagon, I yanked aside the black curtain.

      A full size Dalek charged at me. "Exterminate her! Exterminate her!"

      My heart went into tachycardia. I think I may have peed my pants.

      John leapt out from behind the Dalek, laughing
      hysterically and chanting, "Payback!"

      Later on our way to the Hub, John and I stepped
      up on to the TARDIS. Its circular console loomed
      in front of us, the marks of generations visible
      all over its detailed surface. I reverently
      touched a few of the controls. I may have giggled.

      "We're ready for you, John," called one of the Torchwood assistants.

      John and I stared at each other for a couple of
      beats as if our childhood, our own evolving
      companionship, was displayed in front of us. Then
      we high-fived each other and burst into a
      resounding chorus of "Bungalung, bungalung, woo hoo!"

      This essay is an excerpt from
      <http://www.madnorwegian.com/product.php?item=chicks>Chicks
      Dig Time Lords, ed. Lynne M. Thomas and Tara
      O'Shea, published by Mad Norwegian Press.
      <http://www.amazon.com/Chicks-Dig-Time-Lords-Celebration/dp/1935234048?tag=gmgamzn-20>Get
      it here.

      <http://www.carolebarrowman.com/>Carole E.
      Barrowman is an English professor at Alverno
      College in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where she
      teaches courses on film, writing, and the art of
      the mystery. She often contributes to The
      Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and The Minneapolis
      Star Tribune. She and her brother John co-wrote
      his autobiography Anything Goes and the comic
      strip "Captain Jack and the Selkie" (Torchwood
      Magazine <http://io9.com/tag/14/>#14). John and
      Carole have also released a follow-up to Anything
      Goes called I Am What I Am, published by Michael O'Mara Books Ltd.

      The author of this post can be contacted at <mailto:tips@...>tips@...

      http://io9.com/5628832/the-classic-doctor-who-monster-that-terrified-young-john-barroman
    • LaVita
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2010
        OMG! I love her, especially the story about John and Scott getting drunk
        while they were underage. My sister did that for me and my sister. Both of
        us were underage by more then a few months.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2010
          At 05:24 PM 9/3/2010, LaVita, annotated:
          >OMG! I love her, especially the story about John and Scott getting
          >drunk while they were underage. My sister did that for me and my
          >sister. Both of us were underage by more then a few months.

          actually John and Scott were well old enough to legally drink when
          they first met - I do believe the story refers to John and Carole's
          brother-in-law to be via soon-to-be husband Kevin - as Carole married
          while John was still in the US at the time - he played flute at her
          wedding - the mix up is the reference to 'Are you my Mummy?' which
          clearly refers to a future time period of John as the 9th Doctor's companion

          pfyre