Re: [torchwood] Re: Russel T Davies & CoE

  • Jakx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
      I agree.

      My least favourite scene is also my most favourite scene.
      The death of Ianto is my least favourite because it is the death of Ianto, who I loved as much as Jack. It is also my most favourite scene because it so beautifully acted, and it still has me in tears every time I watch it.

      Whats interesting is that the 2 most avid Torchwood friends of mine hated COE because of that one scene. However, amongst my work mates who dont watch Torchwood, all thought it great TV. And a couple of them asked to borrow series 1& 2 DVDs

      Jakx

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
        Amen to that!
        Namaste,
        Maxime
        email: Maxime@...
        VM & SMS: 1-347-370-9388

        ________________________________
        CoE wasn't just Torchwood's best story, or one of the best series on last year,
        or one of the best SF/F miniseries ever -- I think it was flat out one of the
        best miniseries I've ever seen, able to stand toe-to-toe with intelligent,
        adult, 'proper' drama like State of Play or Edge of Darkness or [countless other
        examples]. I hope it's remembered that way by the general consensus of TV
        history, because it deserves to be.

        Second point, as well: it was a huge hit. Not just "as well as expected", or
        "quite popular" -- here in the UK at least, it smashed the BBC's expectations
        for what a 5-episode drama shown all in one week during the Summer could do
        ratings-wise. People made a big fuss of Sherlock's success this year, but
        Torchwood more or less did that first. Other series shown in the same way
        (Criminal Justice, for example) didn't do so well, so it's not just a fluke of
        the schedule -- people (ordinary people) wanted to watch it.

        And they stuck with it to the end, too. Ratings fluctuated a bit, of course,
        because that's what ratings do, but they were pretty stable. Most non-fans don't
        stick with a series if they don't like it or think it's too dark or what have
        you, so clearly it was being appreciated by all those millions who tuned in.

        I actually think it's a minority, and mainly a minority among parts of fandom,
        who think CoE was a Torchwood-ruining travesty. I think the wider consensus
        would be that, if anything, it finally realised Torchwood's potential as a
        concept.

        (Mini-rant over, sorry!)

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "gilbeymichael11" <gilbeymichael11@...> wrote:

        > Many have been critical of Davies for some of the things we saw in CoE but if
        >he had made it any different to the way he did I'm not sure we would have a 4th
        >series to look foward to. If a programme is to be a success you have to be bold
        >and do things totally unexpected in order to get your audience's attention, even
        >if some of those things are not approved of by some of the viewers. If CoE had
        >a more predictable plot with the usual fairy tale ending then it would not have
        >had the interest it did and we would probably have seen the last of it. The
        >reason many TV shows fail, particularly American shows, is due to lack of
        >imagination and audience involvement. Only the great shows can rise above being
        >just mass entertainment and I would now number Torchwood among these shows.

      • Don
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
          I hated that scene, what need to do now is go and dig up the glove and
          have Jack use it on Ianto. As Jack can never die, the glove won't
          affect hima as it did to Gwen.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Donald Tennant
          US2002045702

        • tonyrw197088@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
            There's only one minor problem with that theory (of the gloves, or Risen Mitten as Ianto named it): both of them have been destroyed. The first was destroyed at the end of "They Keep Killing Suzie" and the second was destroyed during "Dead Man Walking". LOVE the theory, but unless they can "find" another set, it just won't work. Not that I don't want it to; I mean, the entire scene of Ianto's death was heart-rending and still is to this day.

            What I'm NOT looking forward to is what RTD has wanted from the beginning (back when Torchwood was still named "Excalibur") and that is Gwen being the primary focus of everything. Call me a fan-geek (and I am PROUD to be one) but I prefer what became canon: Jack is the "big damn hero" with Ianto as his love. Or, as I've often said: Gwen may be the "heart of Torchwood" but Ianto Jones was, and always will be, the SOUL of Torchwood.

            Just my tuppence,

            Tony