Russel T Davies & CoE

  • gilbeymichael11
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28 3:58 PM
      Many have been critical of Davies for some of the things we saw in CoE but if he had made it any different to the way he did I'm not sure we would have a 4th series to look foward to. If a programme is to be a success you have to be bold and do things totally unexpected in order to get your audience's attention, even if some of those things are not approved of by some of the viewers. If CoE had a more predictable plot with the usual fairy tale ending then it would not have had the interest it did and we would probably have seen the last of it. The reason many TV shows fail, particularly American shows, is due to lack of imagination and audience involvement. Only the great shows can rise above being just mass entertainment and I would now number Torchwood among these shows.
    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29 6:50 AM
        Hear hear!

        CoE wasn't just Torchwood's best story, or one of the best series on last year, or one of the best SF/F miniseries ever -- I think it was flat out one of the best miniseries I've ever seen, able to stand toe-to-toe with intelligent, adult, 'proper' drama like State of Play or Edge of Darkness or [countless other examples]. I hope it's remembered that way by the general consensus of TV history, because it deserves to be.

        Second point, as well: it was a huge hit. Not just "as well as expected", or "quite popular" -- here in the UK at least, it smashed the BBC's expectations for what a 5-episode drama shown all in one week during the Summer could do ratings-wise. People made a big fuss of Sherlock's success this year, but Torchwood more or less did that first. Other series shown in the same way (Criminal Justice, for example) didn't do so well, so it's not just a fluke of the schedule -- people (ordinary people) wanted to watch it.

        And they stuck with it to the end, too. Ratings fluctuated a bit, of course, because that's what ratings do, but they were pretty stable. Most non-fans don't stick with a series if they don't like it or think it's too dark or what have you, so clearly it was being appreciated by all those millions who tuned in.

        I actually think it's a minority, and mainly a minority among parts of fandom, who think CoE was a Torchwood-ruining travesty. I think the wider consensus would be that, if anything, it finally realised Torchwood's potential as a concept.

        (Mini-rant over, sorry!)

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "gilbeymichael11" <gilbeymichael11@...> wrote:

        > Many have been critical of Davies for some of the things we saw in CoE but if he had made it any different to the way he did I'm not sure we would have a 4th series to look foward to. If a programme is to be a success you have to be bold and do things totally unexpected in order to get your audience's attention, even if some of those things are not approved of by some of the viewers. If CoE had a more predictable plot with the usual fairy tale ending then it would not have had the interest it did and we would probably have seen the last of it. The reason many TV shows fail, particularly American shows, is due to lack of imagination and audience involvement. Only the great shows can rise above being just mass entertainment and I would now number Torchwood among these shows.

      • sem
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29 7:59 AM
          Not critical at all. Finding CoE difficult to watch doesn't make it bad TV.
          Some of the best movies I've seen are truly wonderful but I haven't been
          able to watch them more than once because the subject matter was so powerful
          and depressing (and this includes some tv episodes, too: the last Inspector
          Morse comes to mind, also a few episodes of House). CoE is a brilliantly
          done series (?) and I will be watching it again soon, probably after my next
          TW marathon.

          Catzy

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
            I agree.

            My least favourite scene is also my most favourite scene.
            The death of Ianto is my least favourite because it is the death of Ianto, who I loved as much as Jack. It is also my most favourite scene because it so beautifully acted, and it still has me in tears every time I watch it.

            Whats interesting is that the 2 most avid Torchwood friends of mine hated COE because of that one scene. However, amongst my work mates who dont watch Torchwood, all thought it great TV. And a couple of them asked to borrow series 1& 2 DVDs

            Jakx

            CoE wasn't just Torchwood's best story, or one of the best series on last year, or one of the best SF/F miniseries ever -- I think it was flat out one of the best miniseries I've ever seen, able to stand toe-to-toe with intelligent, adult, 'proper' drama like State of Play or Edge of Darkness or [countless other examples]. I hope it's remembered that way by the general consensus of TV history, because it deserves to be.

            Second point, as well: it was a huge hit. Not just "as well as expected", or "quite popular" -- here in the UK at least, it smashed the BBC's expectations for what a 5-episode drama shown all in one week during the Summer could do ratings-wise. People made a big fuss of Sherlock's success this year, but Torchwood more or less did that first. Other series shown in the same way (Criminal Justice, for example) didn't do so well, so it's not just a fluke of the schedule -- people (ordinary people) wanted to watch it.

            And they stuck with it to the end, too. Ratings fluctuated a bit, of course, because that's what ratings do, but they were pretty stable. Most non-fans don't stick with a series if they don't like it or think it's too dark or what have you, so clearly it was being appreciated by all those millions who tuned in.

            I actually think it's a minority, and mainly a minority among parts of fandom, who think CoE was a Torchwood-ruining travesty. I think the wider consensus would be that, if anything, it finally realised Torchwood's potential as a concept.

            (Mini-rant over, sorry!)

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "gilbeymichael11" <gilbeymichael11@...> wrote:

            > Many have been critical of Davies for some of the things we saw in CoE but if he had made it any different to the way he did I'm not sure we would have a 4th series to look foward to. If a programme is to be a success you have to be bold and do things totally unexpected in order to get your audience's attention, even if some of those things are not approved of by some of the viewers. If CoE had a more predictable plot with the usual fairy tale ending then it would not have had the interest it did and we would probably have seen the last of it. The reason many TV shows fail, particularly American shows, is due to lack of imagination and audience involvement. Only the great shows can rise above being just mass entertainment and I would now number Torchwood among these shows.

          • Maxime
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
              Amen to that!
              Namaste,
              Maxime
              email: Maxime@...
              VM & SMS: 1-347-370-9388

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
                I know what you mean. One example of a great movie with a dark ending is The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. I just was not prepared for such a shocking conclusion the first time I saw it but I could appreciate it the second time although it was some time before I could watch it again. I saw this and CoE the same year and they are both very similar in their own way. Coming to terms with death in films and TV, particularly when the person who dies is so young, is something I've always had a problem with but sometimes even in fantasy shows we need to be reminded that life can be cruel and does not always turn out as we would like.

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "sem" <catz@...> wrote:

                > Not critical at all. Finding CoE difficult to watch doesn't make it bad TV.
                > Some of the best movies I've seen are truly wonderful but I haven't been
                > able to watch them more than once because the subject matter was so powerful
                > and depressing (and this includes some tv episodes, too: the last Inspector
                > Morse comes to mind, also a few episodes of House). CoE is a brilliantly
                > done series (?) and I will be watching it again soon, probably after my next
                > TW marathon.
                >
                > Catzy

              • Don
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
                  I hated that scene, what need to do now is go and dig up the glove and
                  have Jack use it on Ianto. As Jack can never die, the glove won't
                  affect hima as it did to Gwen.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Donald Tennant
                  US2002045702

                • tonyrw197088@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
                    There's only one minor problem with that theory (of the gloves, or Risen Mitten as Ianto named it): both of them have been destroyed. The first was destroyed at the end of "They Keep Killing Suzie" and the second was destroyed during "Dead Man Walking". LOVE the theory, but unless they can "find" another set, it just won't work. Not that I don't want it to; I mean, the entire scene of Ianto's death was heart-rending and still is to this day.

                    What I'm NOT looking forward to is what RTD has wanted from the beginning (back when Torchwood was still named "Excalibur") and that is Gwen being the primary focus of everything. Call me a fan-geek (and I am PROUD to be one) but I prefer what became canon: Jack is the "big damn hero" with Ianto as his love. Or, as I've often said: Gwen may be the "heart of Torchwood" but Ianto Jones was, and always will be, the SOUL of Torchwood.

                    Just my tuppence,

                    Tony