Re: matt smith as dr who

  • badblokebob
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 15, 2010
      This is a bit like the "blame the writer not the actor" discussion being had elsewhere. Baker cared greatly for the role of the Doctor -- when he guest starred in a Peter Davison story he was upset because he thought that meant he'd never get to play the role; when he did take over, he hoped it beat Tom Baker's record time in the part.

      Unfortunately things didn't turn out that way, as he was lumbered with poor characterisation (did they really, honestly think turning the Doctor into an angry, violent, unlikeable so-and-so was a good idea?! Even if he was intended to mellow) and an increasingly indifferent BBC who ultimately insisted he leave after 3 years because "that's what happens" on the show.

      I hear he's improved massively through the Big Finish audios, getting much closer to what he'd actually wanted to do with the role, but can't vouch for that personally 'cause I've yet to listen to any of his.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Mike N." <cwrmln@...> wrote:

      > Yes that is him, Colin Baker. He was more of a clown, I felt that he just
      > did not care for
      > the role of the Doctor.

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 15, 2010
        Mike N. wrote:

        > Yes that is him, Colin Baker. He was more of a clown, I felt that he just
        > did not care for
        > the role of the Doctor.

        The original plan with Colin Baker was for a 5 year story arc. The
        Doctor would grow and change. His rudeness was written into the role.
        After his start as the Doctor the powers that be in the BBC decided that
        DW should get bumped from the lineup for a while, perhaps a year or two.
        This upset both the fans and the actor, who of course needs to work to
        live. There were bad feelings all around and in the end the best they
        could scrape together was "Trial of a Timelord."

        In his other role as the Doctor on the Big Finish audio plays, Colin
        Baker has been for several years their best selling Doctor. The plays
        are excellent. You should listen to them if you get the chance.

        My take on things: the 6th Doctor was a victim of BBC politics and an
        incomplete story arc. - Kevin
      • Mike N.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 15, 2010
          Yes, that may well be. But I can not say a lot about the BBC, as at the time
          mosty of the US had
          to watch anything from them on our areas PBS channel.

          I have not heared that he had done any more work with the role of the
          Doctor.

          > This is a bit like the "blame the writer not the actor" discussion being
          > had elsewhere. Baker cared greatly for the role of the Doctor -- when he
          > guest starred in a Peter Davison story he was upset because he thought
          > that meant he'd never get to play the role; when he did take over, he
          > hoped it beat Tom Baker's record time in the part.
          >
          > Unfortunately things didn't turn out that way, as he was lumbered with
          > poor characterisation (did they really, honestly think turning the Doctor
          > into an angry, violent, unlikeable so-and-so was a good idea?! Even if he
          > was intended to mellow) and an increasingly indifferent BBC who ultimately
          > insisted he leave after 3 years because "that's what happens" on the show.
          >
          > I hear he's improved massively through the Big Finish audios, getting much
          > closer to what he'd actually wanted to do with the role, but can't vouch
          > for that personally 'cause I've yet to listen to any of his.
          >
          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Mike N." <cwrmln@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Yes that is him, Colin Baker. He was more of a clown, I felt that he just
          >> did not care for
          >> the role of the Doctor.

          11:09:00
        • russwho4
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 16, 2010
            Kevin, this is a BRILLIANT point, and the same things can be said about Sylvester McCoy, his BF audios are amazing, much better than most of his TV stories.

            When I watched Colin Baker in the 80's I thought he was a horrid Doctor... but looking back, knowing the plan, and especially now listening to the audio stories, he had potential (if not for politics and livid fans) to be one of the greatest. So did McCoy.