DW - what about the writer

  • llai201
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2010
      There have been a lot of posts about Matt Smith as the new Doctor, but I'm surprised nobody's really posted about the new writer - Steven Moffat. To me, the change in series is less about the transition from David Tenant (loved him and always will!) to Matt Smith (growing from lukewarm to strong like) than it is about the transition from Russell T. Davies to Steven Moffat.

      First, a plea to everyone to be kind, respect people's opinions, and avoid flames and attacks. It just makes everything so much more civil.

      I'm going to post my opinions about the show after a spoiler space because I may mention something someone may not want to know (although I will try not to).

      SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACESPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE V

      OK - I think that's enough.

      First, I think that the problem I had initially with warming up to Matt Smith has much less to do with the actor than just getting used to how the character is written. Actually, I think Matt's acting has been great. I think his particular doctor is written with some remove from humanity - and as people have mentioned, a bit of a throwback to older doctors who were more aloof (#1, #2) and odd and quirky (#4 - loved him). I really don't think he's as bad as #6 (shudder). That's why it's been harder to warm up to him.

      I've gotten more used to first Chris Eccleston and then David Tenant - much more "human" doctors! They were much more like #3 (who was warm, fatherly, fully emotionally engaged with humanity). They were Emotional, easy to anger, hurt, afraid, loving, warm, biting, joyful. There was, for me, an immediate connection - Eccleston was all hurt and pain covered over with forced joy and nonchalance - he needed Rose to let it all out. Tenant was so in love with Rose - and then lost her - and then tried to get over it with Martha but could never really let her in, and then really truly found a best friend with Donna - only to lose her too. He was so hurt and frustrated by the end it was so easy why he made the choices he made - he was furious at the universe from taking away those that he loved and cared for that he took crazy chances, messing with time (Waters of Mars) when he found another woman of such amazing depth that he couldn't bear losing her as well. The end was so bitter because he had spent an entire year (our time) trying to avoid human connection (by avoiding another companion) only to be tricked into it by getting close to poor sweet old Wilfred - of course he had to sacrifice himself for the old guy codger. From the get-go, Eccleston and Tenant had fully realized, conflicted, warm, engaged, and relatable characters.

      Matt Smith's doctor has had a slower warming up period during this series. He really was a throwback to the "Alien" thinking doctor of old episodes (and also somewhat more funny - particularly the way he had to try to avoid Amy's clutches in her bed). But by the end, you see his clear attachment to Amy and to Rory - and I really warmed up to him.

      In my mind, the best Tenant and Eccleston episodes were written by Moffat, so I was expecting a lot. This series has been a little uneven, but the best episodes have indeed been the ones written by Moffat himself. He has done a really good job of creating characters I've really come to love. Amy for her spitfire spunkiness and her mixture of hauteur and vulnerability. Rory for the way his character has evolved from a sort of hapless 2nd best for Amy to the sort of guy you'd always want behind your back: loyal, gentle and brave. And most of all, River Song - the ultimate arch, campy heroine with tragic undertones.

      So while I was happy with this series, I wasn't as overwhelmingly enthusiastic as I had hoped I would be with Steven Moffat at the help. I'm hoping that this is only the warm up and that in the next series he really will pull out all the stops and show us the fabulous writing that he displayed in The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, and Forest of the Dead.