re: Children of Earth

  • gilbeymichael11
    Message 1 of 86 , Jun 17, 2010
      I know I'm going over old ground again but I would like to state that the storyline in the final episode of COE is hardly original. Some of the older sci-fi fans may remember a series called U.F.O. which was Gerry Anderson's first live action show.
      In this the leading character is Commander Ed Striker. In one episode his young son Johnny is knocked down by a car and rushed to hospital in critical condition. He needs special drugs which his father can send to the hospital. However, an imminent alien threat suddenly takes priority and there is a delay in delivering the drugs. Ed rushes to his son's bedside later but it is too late, he dies. So he is really responsible for his child's death even if he didn't directly kill him as Jack Harkness did his grandson. His responsibilities as a Space Commander outweighed those as a father.
      His wife tells him she never wants to see him again but that's just the cost of saving the human race. The price of liberty can often be high and sometimes even young innocents have to pay that price like the rest of us. As for Steven let's hope that Jack made the right choice and his grandson did not die in vain, that his sacrifice was worthwhile and that humanity is indeed worth saving. Sometimes however you have to wonder.
    • Kaki4
      Message 86 of 86 , Jun 21, 2010