Reassuring Russell remarks

  • badblokebob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2010
      From The Hollywood Reporter, full article here: http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/torchwood-interviews-with-starz-chief-chris-albrecht-creator-russell-t-davies-.html

      THR: What's the new "Torchwood" like?

      Davies: It's very much the next step. It's not a new version, it's not a reboot. We're simply moving countries. The show was previously a format show -- monster of the week. The breakthrough was "Children of Earth" and that it became one long story. It's not going to be 'Lost' and take 20 years to find out what's going on. It's going to have a most remarkable conclusion after 10 episodes.

      THR: This was set up at Fox, what happened there?

      Davies: We had a brilliant relationship with them. Thanks to them we were allowed to develop it and take it to Starz -- some networks don't allow you to do that, you know. They were very gracious. They have their new Steven Spielberg series ("Terra Nova"). Starz was waiting for us with open arms.

      THR: Being on Starz would also allow you to have more grown-up content.

      Davies: We're simply going to tell a good story. I wrote the pilot 7 months ago irregardless of network. BBC1 is a prime-time channel, but a brave channel. I don't worry about content.

      THR: In "Torchwood" people know aliens exist. I take it that will be true in the United States as well?

      Davies: Yes, in the "Torchwood" universe, you're in a place where aliens long ago went public. It's like with terrorists. We all know terrorists exist, but if you found yourself in a room with one, you'd be in for a profound shock. You're never in a position where you take it for granted. I absolutely guarantee that you can leap in as a new viewer and be able to find everything.