Re: [torchwood] Re: Starz and What It Did With Spartacus

  • Paul Mannering
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2010
      Yay Spartacus! Filmed in New Zealand with lots of NZ extras (they stripped
      every strip club and brothel in Auckland of their staff for the extras).

      Absolutely gratuitous sex and violence - but done in a way that never seemed
      to take it seriously. Very much like a Heavy Metal magazine comic.

      --
      paul@...
      www.brokensea.com www.grindhouseaudio.com

    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2010
        I don't think I'm wilfully misinterpreting this post to say it suggests Torchwood is a Good series, but to become Great is needs more "extensive profanity; dismemberments, beheadings and extensive flowing and splashing of blood; full frontal male and female nudity; and characters having sex"...?

        I seem to recall, back before series one, the Torchwood producers specifically said they were setting out to make a series that was adult, as opposed to Adult -- i.e. something aimed at teenagers with gratuitous titillation. Some might well argue they failed at this in season one, but Children of Earth certainly hit the balance dead on. Fingers crossed Starz means "creative freedom" and "creative freedom" means "make the show like it was but bigger", rather than actually meaning they force it down some unnatural path.