Re: [torchwood] Starz and What It Did With Spartacus

  • Joni
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2010
      On 7 June 2010 19:52, deansantaana <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

      > Over the last several months, I took it upon myself to start watching the
      > new Starz series "Spartacus Blood and Sand". I have found the 13 episodes of
      > its first season to be exceptional and never boring.
      >
      > To give you an idea of What happens on Spartacus as it might relate to how
      > things are handled with Torchwood. I have not watched any other original
      > programming on Starz such as "Crash".
      >
      > Andy Whitfield plays a Thracian of unknown name who is happily married.
      > They are facing hazards from marauding invaders and throw in with a local
      > Roman legion to stop the attackers. When it becomes obvious that the Romans
      > have other grander plans, Whitfield's character takes matters into his own
      > hands. The Romans don't like that and imprison him and his wife. She is sold
      > to some Syrian and he becomes a slave in gladiator training in the city of
      > Capua and owned by Battiatus (John Hannah) and his wife played by Lucy
      > Lawless. He is given the name of Spartacus and battles one man after another
      > in the arena hoping that Battiatus will reunite him with his wife. Battiatus
      > does get his wife back but has his thug mortally wound her to dash the hopes
      > of Spartacus. Once Spartacus does find out what Battiatus did, there is hell
      > to pay. The first season finale was called "Kill Them All". It was
      > appropriately named.
      >
      > This show has:
      >
      > Extensive profanity
      > Dismemberments, beheadings and extensive flowing and splashing of blood
      > Full frontal male and female nudity (including Lucy Lawless)
      > Characters having sex (even male to male sex)
      >
      > If you do have the occasion to see these 13 episodes, you might have the
      > idea of the scope and creative freedom Starz allows the producers to do what
      > they came up with.
      >
      > If Starz allows Davies to do what they allowed the Spartacus producers,
      > Torchwood will transcend itself into a truly great series with legs on it
      > for years to come.
      >
      > Dean

      Yeah - if they go the route of Spartacus, the sex level will be going
      waaaaaaaay up. I almost hope they don't...I can't watch Spartacus when my
      17 year old is around because it's just not something I'm comfortable with,
      and we've always watched Torchwood together. It's funny, the violence is
      mostly surreal so that doesn't bother me (notable exception is the
      punishment that happened to the new Gladiator in training when he tried to
      kill a certain person -that was pretty graphic) but the group sex, yeah that
      would be awkward.

      Joni

    • socallynn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2010
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Joni <joni.crocker@...> wrote:

        > Yeah - if they go the route of Spartacus, the sex level will be going
        > waaaaaaaay up. I almost hope they don't...I can't watch Spartacus when my
        > 17 year old is around because it's just not something I'm comfortable with,
        > and we've always watched Torchwood together. It's funny, the violence is
        > mostly surreal so that doesn't bother me (notable exception is the
        > punishment that happened to the new Gladiator in training when he tried to
        > kill a certain person -that was pretty graphic) but the group sex, yeah that
        > would be awkward.
        >
        > Joni

        I have a very hard time believing that's anyone's intent. Just because Spartacus does one thing, it doesn't mean Torchwood will. Spartacus is nothing like Crash, Party Down, or other Starz originals.

        This is still a co-production, and the show still has to be broadcast on BBC One. Even post-watershed, I have a hard time believing that we'll be seeing anything even vaguely similar to Spartacus. I think the adult content will remain fairly consistent with what we've seen so far -- adult themes, some kissing, not much actual sex, little if any nudity and no extreme violence.

        I think (hope) what Dean was getting at is that Starz gives its producers creative freedom in general, which is a good thing.

        -Lynn
      • Paul Mannering
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2010
          Yay Spartacus! Filmed in New Zealand with lots of NZ extras (they stripped
          every strip club and brothel in Auckland of their staff for the extras).

          Absolutely gratuitous sex and violence - but done in a way that never seemed
          to take it seriously. Very much like a Heavy Metal magazine comic.

          --
          paul@...
          www.brokensea.com www.grindhouseaudio.com

        • badblokebob
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2010
            I don't think I'm wilfully misinterpreting this post to say it suggests Torchwood is a Good series, but to become Great is needs more "extensive profanity; dismemberments, beheadings and extensive flowing and splashing of blood; full frontal male and female nudity; and characters having sex"...?

            I seem to recall, back before series one, the Torchwood producers specifically said they were setting out to make a series that was adult, as opposed to Adult -- i.e. something aimed at teenagers with gratuitous titillation. Some might well argue they failed at this in season one, but Children of Earth certainly hit the balance dead on. Fingers crossed Starz means "creative freedom" and "creative freedom" means "make the show like it was but bigger", rather than actually meaning they force it down some unnatural path.