Barrowman takes the top spot in The Stage 100 readers' choice

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      []

      Barrowman takes the top spot in The Stage 100 readers' choice

      Published Thursday 4 February 2010 at 13:05 by Alistair Smith

      Torchwood and La Cage aux Folles star John Barrowman has topped our
      online survey asking readers who they believe should have topped The
      Stage 100 this year.
      John Barrowman, placed top in the Stage 100 readers' poll

      John Barrowman, placed top in the Stage 100 readers' poll

      Each year, The Stage publishes a list of who we believe are the 100
      most influential people in UK theatre. Following the release of The
      Stage 100 at the end of last year, we asked readers to vote online at
      www.thestage.co.uk to tell us who they would have placed at number
      one. We received more than 1,800 votes. Multiple submissions from the
      same person were discounted and the clear winner - with more than
      twice as many votes as second place - was Barrowman.

      The Stage's number one - Ambassador Theatre Group joint chief
      executives Howard Panter and Rosemary Squire - narrowly missed out on
      the reader top 20, reaching number 22 in the voting. Only six of the
      reader top 20 features in The Stage's own top 20.

      Popular suggestions for industry figures who readers believe we
      should have included in the full 100 included actors Simon Burke and
      Kerry Ellis, as well as writer Mark Ravenhill, directors Jamie Lloyd
      and Gregory Doran, lighting designer Paule Constable and New Wolsey
      Ipswich chief executive Sarah Holmes.

      READERS' TOP 20:

      1. John Barrowman, entertainer

      2. Matthew Bourne, choreographer/director

      3. Arlene Phillips, choreographer/director

      4. Michael Ball, actor

      5. Ian McKellen, actor

      6. Tania Harrison, Latitude festival

      7. Rachel Tackley, English Touring Theatre

      8= Alan Bennett, writer

      8= Daniel Kramer, director

      10= Antonio Pappano and Monica Mason, Royal Opera/Royal Ballet

      10= Alistair Spalding, Sadler's Wells

      12. Carlos Acosta, dancer

      13. Kerry Michael, Theatre Royal Stratford East

      14= Andrew Lloyd Webber, composer/producer/theatre owner

      14= Jude Law, actor

      16= Alan Ayckbourn, writer

      16= Nicholas Hytner, National Theatre

      16= Cameron Mackintosh, producer/theatre owner

      19. Michael Grandage, Donmar Warehouse

      20= Sonia Friedman, producer

      20= Rachel Weisz, actor

      THE STAGE'S TOP 20

      1. Howard Panter/Rosemary Squire, Ambassador Theatre Group

      2. Cameron Mackintosh

      3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

      4. Michael Grandage

      5. Nicholas Hytner

      6. Nica Burns/Max Weitzenhoffer, Nimax Theatres

      7. Dominic Cooke, Royal Court Theatre

      8. Bill Kenwright, producer

      9. Michael Boyd, Royal Shakespeare Company

      10. Kevin Spacey/Sally Greene, Old Vic Theatre

      11. Nick Thomas/Jon Conway, Qdos Entertainment

      12= Sonia Friedman

      12= David Pugh/Dafydd Rogers, producers

      14. David Babani, producer

      15. Jonathan Church, Chichester Festival Theatre

      16. Bill Taylor, Stage Entertainment

      17. Rupert Goold, director

      18. Alex Poots, Manchester International Festival

      19. John Barrowman

      20. Mark Rylance, actor

      source:
      http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/27133/barrowman-takes-the-top-spot-in-the-stage-100