RE: [torchwood] Torchwood news from US

  • Robert A. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
      At 10:45 +0000 on 01/20/2010, anna mattison wrote about Re:
      [torchwood] Torchwood news from US:

      >Yeah but thats why I stopped watching Bones, that arc was a cheap
      >trick. "Oh its ok we have 2 girls in a relationship because look the
      >token non-white one slept with a man now! See! Don't be threatened
      >viewers!"

      Don't forget that "13" (Dr. Remy Hadley) on House has been portrayed
      as bisexual and been shown to have had one-night-stand relationships
      with other women (as well as an ongoing relationship with Dr. Eric
      Foreman).
    • sem
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
        Russ is right of course. But I do have several friends of British television
        and although our numbers are small (3, including me), we talk about them a
        lot.

        The Office transferred well, yes, but don't forget All in the Family was a
        huge hit here and so was Sanford and Son. Those are the only 3 I can think
        of after all these years of lifting UK television. The problem with US tv is
        they often want to wrap everything up in a neat little package by the end of
        the show. This is really annoying to those of us with more than 5 brain
        cells. A few shows don't do that, but not many. I don't count "part 2 next
        week", either.

        One more thing... I think Americans DO get scifi sometimes: The Outer
        Limits, Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, X-Files, Jay Leno, Buffy and Angel are
        a few I can think of.

        Catzy

      • Kaki4
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
          Agreed that we NEED it. I just don't think we're likely to get it.

          If it happens (the spicing up), I will cheer for it.

          Kaki

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 21, 2010
            lol, Leno

            There are a few more successful crossovers, Who's Line, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars; but really, those kind of shows are a brainless formula that can work anywhere. There are SO many more failures, it's fun to look at... Wikipedia has a nice list...

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_TV_shows_remade_for_the_American_market

          • m7doff@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 22, 2010
              OMG .. I love Mr. Bean!!!!!!!!!!
              Way back about 20 (20???) years ago when I first discovered it, I don't
              even remember what channel it was on (I lived in New Jersey then), I loved
              the show so much I used to tape it on VHS, and I STILL have the tapes LoL
              It was most likely a Cable channel .. but don't remember ...
              My 11 year old daughter loves Mr. Bean, too ..

              I used to love The Young Ones, too .. and Ab Fab made me pee my pants!!!
              I miss those shows ... =(

              Winter

              Posted by: "russwho4" _russwho1@... _
              (mailto:russwho1@...?Subject= Re:%20Torchwood%20news%20from%20US) _russwho4 _
              (http://profiles.yahoo.com/russwho4)
              Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:52 pm (PST)

              A simultaneous run would be amazing, but I don't think we're going to be
              that lucky. A spin-off would be okay, I suppose... but it will never be the
              same. Someone mentioned The Office, that was a stroke of good luck for
              sure, but the '96 Doctor Who and the Red Dwarf remake are what I see happening
              to Torchwood at this point.I'll give it a shot, like I did with Life on
              Mars... but that was also a major disappointment, it was perfect the way it
              was, and it was RUINED by American TV.

              See, for some reason, Americans (I am one) just don't see comedy and Sci
              Fi the way the rest of the world sees it. For example, The Doctor in the '96
              pilot couldn't be this mysterious man from Gallifrey, he had to be half
              human. In the exec's mind, it wouldn't work any other way, yet that destroyed
              a major part of Doctor Who history. In Life on Mars, it couldn't be an
              amazing story of a man named Sam who had an accident while a David Bowie song
              was playing, the Americans had to put Sam on a spaceship to make it "work"
              over here... it made Life on Mars a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY, and it
              didn't work AT ALL! I guess it all sounded great on paper, but it COMPLETELY
              RUINED the CONCEPT!

              Torchwood, RTD or NOT, can't recapture the magic in the US. When JB's
              contract comes up they'll find a way to kill his character off, they will
              completely ignore the history of WHY Torchwood exists in the first place, they
              will ignore all of the history and make it a totally different concept.

              Hell, Americans still don't see humor in Mr Bean... there's a problem with
              "our" way of thinking. I'm the lucky one, I somehow outgrew it. Thank GOD!