Re: Torchwood news from US

  • badblokebob
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 19, 2010
      I feel like we can fairly certainly say RTD (or Moffat, for that matter; or most other people likely to be in charge of Who) would ever allow a full-blown US reboot of "Doctor Who". Never say never, of course, but it sounds like entirely groundless padding on the part of the journalist to me.

      As for a US Torchwood... I don't know if Barrowman would WANT to commit to a 22+ episode US TV season. It just doesn't seem like him -- not enough room for all his other projects. But, again, you can never be sure.

      Better would be to develop a "Torchwood US" rather than US "Torchwood" -- i.e. another spin-off set in the same universe, but this time about an American organisation. The logistics of making it a branch of Torchwood boggle the mind though, what with that being set up to be protect the British Empire.

      Though it'd be fun if RTD created a secret history where Britain still secretly rules the US. I'd love to see how that'd go down on a major US network show!

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "sem" <catz@...> wrote:

      > This is SO upsetting on so many levels. I couldn't believe what I was
      > reading. RTD and Julie pulling that? And there will be no more Torchwood in
      > the UK if they get Barrowman. Seasons here are 24 shows I think. No time to
      > shoot a TW in Cardiff. He'd pretty much have to live here.
      >
      > I could be all wrong but WTF is RTD doing? And that business about "Tranter
      > might try to reboot "Doctor Who" for U.S. audiences"... what's that about?
      >
      > Catzy

    • russwho4
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 19, 2010
        I love the "secret history" idea... I would defect to the UK if I could get away with it, if I woke up tomorrow ruled by the British Empire, I'd be thrilled!!! So, yea, I'd watch THAT!! LOL

        Thanks for bringing light to this DARK issue!

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "badblokebob" <richard@...> wrote:

        > I feel like we can fairly certainly say RTD (or Moffat, for that matter; or most other people likely to be in charge of Who) would ever allow a full-blown US reboot of "Doctor Who". Never say never, of course, but it sounds like entirely groundless padding on the part of the journalist to me.
        >
        > As for a US Torchwood... I don't know if Barrowman would WANT to commit to a 22+ episode US TV season. It just doesn't seem like him -- not enough room for all his other projects. But, again, you can never be sure.
        >
        > Better would be to develop a "Torchwood US" rather than US "Torchwood" -- i.e. another spin-off set in the same universe, but this time about an American organisation. The logistics of making it a branch of Torchwood boggle the mind though, what with that being set up to be protect the British Empire.
        >
        > Though it'd be fun if RTD created a secret history where Britain still secretly rules the US. I'd love to see how that'd go down on a major US network show!
      • Kaki4
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 19, 2010
          Well, the did let the girl (I can't think of her name) on Bones have a
          girlfriend for a bit. But it certainly wouldn't be on-screen much.

          Perhaps our omnisexual will have his on-screen romance with a woman or an
          alien this time. Sniff, maybe the rift rescued Ianto and dumped him in
          Chicago or LA or NY or. . ..

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 19, 2010
            (snipped a bit)

            > As for a US Torchwood... I don't know if Barrowman would WANT to commit to
            > a 22+ episode US TV season. It just doesn't seem like him -- not enough
            > room for all his other projects. But, again, you can never be sure.

            Well, he has done US TV before. He didn't have as many projects on-going
            back then, as far as I know. Then again, US TV shows apparently tape 22
            episodes in about the time UK TV tapes 13, so it might be the same time
            committment.

            > Though it'd be fun if RTD created a secret history where Britain still
            > secretly rules the US. I'd love to see how that'd go down on a major US
            > network show!

            lol That could indeed be fun.

            Kaki
          • anna mattison
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
              Yeah but thats why I stopped watching Bones, that arc was a cheap trick. "Oh its ok we have 2 girls in a relationship because look the token non-white one slept with a man now! See! Don't be threatened viewers!"

              To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com

              > Oh, Jack and Ianto kissing would be a big hit on Fox....suuuuuuuuuure.

              > ;-)

              > =====================================

              > Tom Beck

              > Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

              > Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them

              > almost perfectly.

              > On Tuesday, January 19, 2010, at 01:25PM, "Zinnia" <zinnia@...>

            • anna mattison
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                We just need to figure out which US city has the most high buildings with flat roofs. It isn't TW with out arial shots of Jack looking contemplative.

                To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
                From: kaki4@...
                Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:04:39 -0500
                Subject: Re: [torchwood] Re: Torchwood news from US

                (snipped a bit)

                > As for a US Torchwood... I don't know if Barrowman would WANT to commit to

                > a 22+ episode US TV season. It just doesn't seem like him -- not enough

                > room for all his other projects. But, again, you can never be sure.

                Well, he has done US TV before. He didn't have as many projects on-going

                back then, as far as I know. Then again, US TV shows apparently tape 22

                episodes in about the time UK TV tapes 13, so it might be the same time

                committment.

                > Though it'd be fun if RTD created a secret history where Britain still

                > secretly rules the US. I'd love to see how that'd go down on a major US

                > network show!

                lol That could indeed be fun.

                Kaki

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                  Okay, I caught the word "instead" of the UK version. Now I'm sad. I have a
                  definite feeling of doom.

                  Has anyone heard whether they'd go back to making the UK version if a US
                  version fails?

                  Anna

                • doxisrcool@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010

                    If JB isn't in it, I couldn't imagine even considering watching. This is
                    horrid news!>>>

                    I thought so too. But then, I thought, what if JB is only in the first few
                    eps and then CJH returns to Cardiff and leaves open the possibility of a
                    UK version too? Is it possible to have both versions simultaneously or is
                    RTD the only one who writes it? Maybe the Torchwood 4 set in the US then
                    wouldn't be so bad--if they had CJH return to Cardiff to pick up after the
                    events in DT's last ep.

                    I guess I'm just hoping the US version would be a spin-off and not the
                    only show.

                    Redoing DW? Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no. I sure hope they don't do that. It's
                    perfect as it is and always has been perfect.

                    Anna

                  • kaki4@nc.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                      Can I suggest the one I live in? (we'll get those roofs flattened before they notice that I just wanted Captain Jack in town <eg>)

                      > We just need to figure out which US city has the most high buildings with flat roofs. It isn't TW with out arial shots of Jack looking contemplative.
                      >
                      > To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: kaki4@...
                      > Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:04:39 -0500
                      > Subject: Re: [torchwood] Re: Torchwood news from US

                      > (snipped a bit)

                    • Lizzieb Blackwell
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                        Ok, Here's the thing, if Torchwood could go on Fox's FX, instead of regular fox, there is no doubt that the show could still be risque and adult in nature.  FX  (owned by Fox) is known for the "adult qualities" in their series, such as Nip/Tuck, Rescue me, etc.

                        I am a Torchwood Fan.  No doubt that I will try it out regardless, as I thought that COE was definitely coming full circle on the characters. Barrowman would be so welcome here, as he is a great actor and would spice up American TV, and WE NEED THAT!

                      • Lizzieb Blackwell
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                          I totally get your being upset, although I think that Torchwood could be pulled off, if on FX, I cannot see it on any other channel (reg fox).

                          The problem is that they are trying to duplicate the success of "The Office".  The characters are distinctively British on DW and trying to recreate with American actors and accents would take away a certain charm.

                          I am still upset that my kids cannot watch Sarah Jane Adventures, as it was canceled by both Scifi and BBC america ( here in the US anyway).  Perhaps, we should all wait to see what comes of the TW - US, if it airs, and give opinion then.  I say we should hope for a more successful franchise!

                        • russwho4
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                            A simultaneous run would be amazing, but I don't think we're going to be that lucky. A spin-off would be okay, I suppose... but it will never be the same. Someone mentioned The Office, that was a stroke of good luck for sure, but the '96 Doctor Who and the Red Dwarf remake are what I see happening to Torchwood at this point.I'll give it a shot, like I did with Life on Mars... but that was also a major disappointment, it was perfect the way it was, and it was RUINED by American TV.

                            See, for some reason, Americans (I am one) just don't see comedy and Sci Fi the way the rest of the world sees it. For example, The Doctor in the '96 pilot couldn't be this mysterious man from Gallifrey, he had to be half human. In the exec's mind, it wouldn't work any other way, yet that destroyed a major part of Doctor Who history. In Life on Mars, it couldn't be an amazing story of a man named Sam who had an accident while a David Bowie song was playing, the Americans had to put Sam on a spaceship to make it "work" over here... it made Life on Mars a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY, and it didn't work AT ALL! I guess it all sounded great on paper, but it COMPLETELY RUINED the CONCEPT!

                            Torchwood, RTD or NOT, can't recapture the magic in the US. When JB's contract comes up they'll find a way to kill his character off, they will completely ignore the history of WHY Torchwood exists in the first place, they will ignore all of the history and make it a totally different concept.

                            Hell, Americans still don't see humor in Mr Bean... there's a problem with "our" way of thinking. I'm the lucky one, I somehow outgrew it. Thank GOD!

                            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, doxisrcool@... wrote:

                            > If JB isn't in it, I couldn't imagine even considering watching. This is
                            > horrid news!>>>
                            >

                            > I thought so too. But then, I thought, what if JB is only in the first few
                            > eps and then CJH returns to Cardiff and leaves open the possibility of a
                            > UK version too? Is it possible to have both versions simultaneously or is
                            > RTD the only one who writes it? Maybe the Torchwood 4 set in the US then
                            > wouldn't be so bad--if they had CJH return to Cardiff to pick up after the
                            > events in DT's last ep.
                            >
                            > I guess I'm just hoping the US version would be a spin-off and not the
                            > only show.
                            >
                            > Redoing DW? Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no. I sure hope they don't do that. It's
                            > perfect as it is and always has been perfect.
                            >
                            > Anna

                          • Stacey
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                              I agree.  As a fan of Dollhouse I was very upset to hear of it's cancellation by Fox but they did give it a second season to try and grow the audience.  For some reason SciFi type shows don't do well on Fox.  The CW seems to have better luck, they have run shows such as Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Smallville, Supernatural, etc. and managed to find and maintain a viewing audience.

                              I also think that FX would be a much better fit for Torchwood but ultimately I think the best fit would be Showtime or HBO since they don't shy away from violence, sexual situations or anything for that matter.

                              Just my 2 cents

                              Stacey Figueroa

                              Ok, Here's the thing, if Torchwood could go on Fox's FX, instead of regular fox, there is no doubt that the show could still be risque and adult in nature.  FX  (owned by Fox) is known for the "adult qualities" in their series, such as Nip/Tuck, Rescue me, etc.

                              I am a Torchwood Fan.  No doubt that I will try it out regardless, as I thought that COE was definitely coming full circle on the characters. Barrowman would be so welcome here, as he is a great actor and would spice up American TV, and WE NEED THAT!

                            • Robert A. Rosenberg
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                                At 10:45 +0000 on 01/20/2010, anna mattison wrote about Re:
                                [torchwood] Torchwood news from US:

                                >Yeah but thats why I stopped watching Bones, that arc was a cheap
                                >trick. "Oh its ok we have 2 girls in a relationship because look the
                                >token non-white one slept with a man now! See! Don't be threatened
                                >viewers!"

                                Don't forget that "13" (Dr. Remy Hadley) on House has been portrayed
                                as bisexual and been shown to have had one-night-stand relationships
                                with other women (as well as an ongoing relationship with Dr. Eric
                                Foreman).
                              • sem
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                                  Russ is right of course. But I do have several friends of British television
                                  and although our numbers are small (3, including me), we talk about them a
                                  lot.

                                  The Office transferred well, yes, but don't forget All in the Family was a
                                  huge hit here and so was Sanford and Son. Those are the only 3 I can think
                                  of after all these years of lifting UK television. The problem with US tv is
                                  they often want to wrap everything up in a neat little package by the end of
                                  the show. This is really annoying to those of us with more than 5 brain
                                  cells. A few shows don't do that, but not many. I don't count "part 2 next
                                  week", either.

                                  One more thing... I think Americans DO get scifi sometimes: The Outer
                                  Limits, Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, X-Files, Jay Leno, Buffy and Angel are
                                  a few I can think of.

                                  Catzy

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
                                    Agreed that we NEED it. I just don't think we're likely to get it.

                                    If it happens (the spicing up), I will cheer for it.

                                    Kaki

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 21, 2010
                                      lol, Leno

                                      There are a few more successful crossovers, Who's Line, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars; but really, those kind of shows are a brainless formula that can work anywhere. There are SO many more failures, it's fun to look at... Wikipedia has a nice list...

                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_TV_shows_remade_for_the_American_market

                                    • m7doff@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 22, 2010
                                        OMG .. I love Mr. Bean!!!!!!!!!!
                                        Way back about 20 (20???) years ago when I first discovered it, I don't
                                        even remember what channel it was on (I lived in New Jersey then), I loved
                                        the show so much I used to tape it on VHS, and I STILL have the tapes LoL
                                        It was most likely a Cable channel .. but don't remember ...
                                        My 11 year old daughter loves Mr. Bean, too ..

                                        I used to love The Young Ones, too .. and Ab Fab made me pee my pants!!!
                                        I miss those shows ... =(

                                        Winter

                                        Posted by: "russwho4" _russwho1@... _
                                        (mailto:russwho1@...?Subject= Re:%20Torchwood%20news%20from%20US) _russwho4 _