Re: Capt. Jack, Hero or Lovable Rogue

  • starhawk2197
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 18, 2006
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power
      <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

      > I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

      I think the cover Jack uses in 1941 London covers a great deal of
      who we're supposed to see Jack as. In British fiction American
      volunteers in the RAF before Dec.'41, were generally seen as heroic,
      happy-go-lucky swashbuckler types. Davies said he wanted an American
      type action hero. Stephen Mofatt seems to have prefered Gene Kelly's
      D'artangion, Burt Lancaster's "Crimsom Pirate," and Erol
      Flynn's "Robin Hood," as his model for American Action Heros.

      Jack's former employers seem to be somewhat modeled onthe
      European view of the CIA. It occures to me that, just as the Doctor
      was wrong about the Daleks being wiped out, there may be other
      Galifreyans still around, and the secret masters of the Time Patrol.
      Neither, the Master, the Rani, the Valiyard, the War Chief, nor the
      Meddler, would be a good choice for the secret master of the Time
      Patrol. Susan or Romana, if corrupted or trapped into bad choices,
      would make far more dangerous foes.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 19, 2006
        Thanks for those musings. RTD's (apparent) premise that there are no
        other surviving Time Lords is obviously absurd. The idea that all the
        Daleks "out there" might turn up for the Time War is one thing. But
        all the Time Lords, including all the renegades? C'mon!!!

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>