Re: [torchwood] Capt. Jack, Hero or Lovable Rogue

  • Patrick Power
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
      I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

      Don <whistlingdeath42@...> wrote:
      I get the impression that Jack started out as the hero, as a member of
      the Time Patrol (or something like that), but when he discovered that
      they wiped a full year of memories from his mind he felt betrayed.
      This is when he went Rogue, on a one man quest to find the truth.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...>
      wrote:

      > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
      just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
      seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

      Patrick Power
      http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

      American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
      http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

      Yahoo! Mail

    • starhawk2197
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 18, 2006
        <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

        > I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

        I think the cover Jack uses in 1941 London covers a great deal of
        who we're supposed to see Jack as. In British fiction American
        volunteers in the RAF before Dec.'41, were generally seen as heroic,
        happy-go-lucky swashbuckler types. Davies said he wanted an American
        type action hero. Stephen Mofatt seems to have prefered Gene Kelly's
        D'artangion, Burt Lancaster's "Crimsom Pirate," and Erol
        Flynn's "Robin Hood," as his model for American Action Heros.

        Jack's former employers seem to be somewhat modeled onthe
        European view of the CIA. It occures to me that, just as the Doctor
        was wrong about the Daleks being wiped out, there may be other
        Galifreyans still around, and the secret masters of the Time Patrol.
        Neither, the Master, the Rani, the Valiyard, the War Chief, nor the
        Meddler, would be a good choice for the secret master of the Time
        Patrol. Susan or Romana, if corrupted or trapped into bad choices,
        would make far more dangerous foes.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 19, 2006
          Thanks for those musings. RTD's (apparent) premise that there are no
          other surviving Time Lords is obviously absurd. The idea that all the
          Daleks "out there" might turn up for the Time War is one thing. But
          all the Time Lords, including all the renegades? C'mon!!!

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>