Re: [torchwood] Re: Watching COE again

  • Thomas N. Beck
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
      How do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just take all of them?

      =====================================

      Tom Beck

      Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

      Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them almost perfectly.

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
        Joni wrote:

        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > There are many people and companies who routinely experiment on
        > children because regulations demand it in order to bring
        > pharmaceutical products to market. Imagine this: the aliens said
        > that they were using the children to make a drug that made them feel
        > good because looking at the human race they perceived that would be an
        > acceptable reason. The price society pays to bring both legal and
        > illegal recreational pharmaceuticals to the market is indeed extreme.
        > Perhaps to them it just looked like doing business as usual.
        >

        > Um - while I don't think the 456 would allow us to test them...I think
        > that clearly there were lots of people who would have the stomach to
        > experiment on a child - they sacrificed some, and were prepared to
        > sacrifice a bunch more after all...
        >
        > Joni

      • Robert A. Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
          At 14:22 -0400 on 09/09/2009, Thomas N. Beck wrote about Re:
          [torchwood] Re: Watching COE again:

          >ow do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that
          >now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just
          >take all of them?

          If they took all the children then they would reduce the possibility
          of having enough children when they came back the next time. All the
          children then would have needed to have been from current adults
          having more children. Leaving 90% gives a much larger population to
          get new children from (ie: You have the Children and Grandchildren of
          the 90% who were not taken).
        • soccerryot
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
            They don't actually have to take them all. The threat just has to be there. The adults would realize that if they were killed, and there was no one left to protect the children, the 456 COULD take all of the children. The threat is enough to make them turn out the 10%.

            And while the 456 could take all of the Earths children, they probably realize that then they would have to feed and house all of them. And of course, then they would have to imprison some to be kept for breeding purposes. But why take all of the children when they can just take what they need, and leave the humans to keep breeding more? Then their drug supply never runs out, and they don't have to house those kids.

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas N. Beck" <tomfodw@...> wrote:

            > How do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just take all of them?
          • Thomas Beck
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
              Okay then - if they have the technology to find the drug and use it
              (and how did they find out about that in the first place?) - and if
              they have the technology to get to Earth and to threaten us - and to
              make that virus - why can't THEY synthesize the drug?

              On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:23 AM, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

              > At 14:22 -0400 on 09/09/2009, Thomas N. Beck wrote about Re:
              > [torchwood] Re: Watching COE again:
              >
              > >ow do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that
              > >now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just
              > >take all of them?
              >
              > If they took all the children then they would reduce the possibility
              > of having enough children when they came back the next time. All the
              > children then would have needed to have been from current adults
              > having more children. Leaving 90% gives a much larger population to
              > get new children from (ie: You have the Children and Grandchildren of
              > the 90% who were not taken).

              Tom Beck

              Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

              Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
              almost perfectly.

            • Chris Garen
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                Hi All,
                   They don't synthesize the drug because as in most cases "The real thing gives the best effect", they've had the original children for 40 years,surely  intelligent beings as the 456 obviously are, would have tried to synthesize the chemicals ,it would have been so much easier "
                    Best wishes Chris

              • nyc blkboy
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                  Its funny I just started re watching COE too :)

                  On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Thomas Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

                  > Okay then - if they have the technology to find the drug and use it
                  > (and how did they find out about that in the first place?) - and if
                  > they have the technology to get to Earth and to threaten us - and to
                  > make that virus - why can't THEY synthesize the drug?
                  >

                  > On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:23 AM, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
                  >
                  > > At 14:22 -0400 on 09/09/2009, Thomas N. Beck wrote about Re:
                  > > [torchwood] Re: Watching COE again:
                  > >
                  > > >ow do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that
                  > > >now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just
                  > > >take all of them?
                  > >
                  > > If they took all the children then they would reduce the possibility
                  > > of having enough children when they came back the next time. All the
                  > > children then would have needed to have been from current adults
                  > > having more children. Leaving 90% gives a much larger population to
                  > > get new children from (ie: You have the Children and Grandchildren of
                  > > the 90% who were not taken).

                  > Tom Beck
                  >
                  > Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?
                  >
                  > Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
                  > almost perfectly.

                  "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                  capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                  labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous
                  .
                  Email: nycblkboy.porn@...
                  Twitter: http://twitter.com/Number301
                  Blog: http://randomthoughtstj.wordpress.com/

                • soccerryot
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                    At this point in the history of Torchwood's Earth it doesn't really matter how the 456 discovered this drug. If it were that a character was going to travel through time and/or space to prevent the 456 from ever discovering it, then Davies and the writing team would explain that. But for now, the audience does not really need to know the how, just that the addicts and the recreational drug users among the 456 want this drug.

                    And when you think about it, a trip to Earth to get more drugs is a probably a major expedition, right? So if the 456 have advanced technology, wouldn't they have already attempted to synthesize it? I'm with those in thinking that they would have already attempted it and either it can't be done, or it's just not good enough, which is why they go to the source.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                      Well, the whole idea of their being able to get here at all is totally
                      idiotic, but that's true of the entire Doctor Who universe, so I
                      suppose I won't go there.

                      To be honest, I don't think RTD and the others even thought about the
                      scientific implications of their story. It's just nitpicking at this
                      point, but still, my original point remains: if they destroy us, they
                      destroy the source of their drug. Not a bluff that it would be easy to
                      call, but it should have occurred to *someone* at least to bring up as
                      a point for discussion.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 12, 2009
                        How did they find out about earth's children in the first place? Why did
                        they want the children in the first place?

                        On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Thomas Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

                        > Well, the whole idea of their being able to get here at all is totally
                        > idiotic, but that's true of the entire Doctor Who universe, so I
                        > suppose I won't go there.
                        >
                        > To be honest, I don't think RTD and the others even thought about the
                        > scientific implications of their story. It's just nitpicking at this
                        > point, but still, my original point remains: if they destroy us, they
                        > destroy the source of their drug. Not a bluff that it would be easy to
                        > call, but it should have occurred to *someone* at least to bring up as
                        > a point for discussion.
                        >

                        > On Sep 11, 2009, at 3:25 PM, soccerryot wrote:
                        >
                        > > At this point in the history of Torchwood's Earth it doesn't really
                        > > matter how the 456 discovered this drug. If it were that a character
                        > > was going to travel through time and/or space to prevent the 456 from
                        > > ever discovering it, then Davies and the writing team would explain
                        > > that. But for now, the audience does not really need to know the how,
                        > > just that the addicts and the recreational drug users among the 456
                        > > want this drug.
                        > >
                        > > And when you think about it, a trip to Earth to get more drugs is a
                        > > probably a major expedition, right? So if the 456 have advanced
                        > > technology, wouldn't they have already attempted to synthesize it? I'm
                        > > with those in thinking that they would have already attempted it and
                        > > either it can't be done, or it's just not good enough, which is why
                        > > they go to the source.
                        > >
                        > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>, Thomas
                        > Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Okay then - if they have the technology to find the drug and use it
                        > > > (and how did they find out about that in the first place?) - and if
                        > > > they have the technology to get to Earth and to threaten us - and to
                        > > > make that virus - why can't THEY synthesize the drug?

                        > Tom Beck
                        >
                        > Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?
                        >
                        > Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
                        > almost perfectly.

                        "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                        capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                        labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous
                        .
                        Email: nycblkboy.porn@...
                        Twitter: http://twitter.com/Number301
                        Blog: http://randomthoughtstj.wordpress.com/

                      • Robyn Hall
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 12, 2009
                          Good catch, Tom. That's a very logical supposition.

                          Wish I'd thought of it.... Guess I need to pay closer attention to the
                          dialogue in Torchwood eps instead of watching every move Capt. Jack and/or
                          Ianto make(s)!! [?] Guess I'll have one less person to watch when S4
                          begins (they say being optimistic works wonders!).

                          That sux, but having Torchwood and Capt. Jack is better than having none of
                          it at all.

                          Robbie

                          On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Thomas Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

                          > [Not sure that any is still needed, but just in case.]

                          > The 456 need our children as a drug - so to force us to hand over the
                          > kids, they threaten to wipe out our entire species. Um, fine,
                          > except...won't that also wipe out their drug supply?
                          >
                          > Just askin'.

                        • Thomas N. Beck
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 12, 2009
                            Very good questions. When they came the first time and asked for children - why? Did they already know? If so, how?

                            =====================================

                            Tom Beck

                            Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

                            Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them almost perfectly.

                          • BJ
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 13, 2009
                              We know from watching Dr.Who and Torchwood that there are other humans in other galaxies. Maybe the 456 just chose earth because it was the easist target. We were less likely to do anything that would cause them a problem.

                              BJ.

                            • BJ
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 6, 2009
                                Anna could you contact me off list please, littlebj58@...