Re: Watching COE again

  • soccerryot
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

      > [Not sure that any is still needed, but just in case.]

      > The 456 need our children as a drug - so to force us to hand over the
      > kids, they threaten to wipe out our entire species. Um, fine,
      > except...won't that also wipe out their drug supply?

      Not if they only killed all of the adult humans and took ALL of the Earth's children.
    • Thomas N. Beck
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
        How do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just take all of them?

        =====================================

        Tom Beck

        Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

        Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them almost perfectly.

      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
          Joni wrote:

          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > There are many people and companies who routinely experiment on
          > children because regulations demand it in order to bring
          > pharmaceutical products to market. Imagine this: the aliens said
          > that they were using the children to make a drug that made them feel
          > good because looking at the human race they perceived that would be an
          > acceptable reason. The price society pays to bring both legal and
          > illegal recreational pharmaceuticals to the market is indeed extreme.
          > Perhaps to them it just looked like doing business as usual.
          >

          > Um - while I don't think the 456 would allow us to test them...I think
          > that clearly there were lots of people who would have the stomach to
          > experiment on a child - they sacrificed some, and were prepared to
          > sacrifice a bunch more after all...
          >
          > Joni

        • Robert A. Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
            At 14:22 -0400 on 09/09/2009, Thomas N. Beck wrote about Re:
            [torchwood] Re: Watching COE again:

            >ow do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that
            >now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just
            >take all of them?

            If they took all the children then they would reduce the possibility
            of having enough children when they came back the next time. All the
            children then would have needed to have been from current adults
            having more children. Leaving 90% gives a much larger population to
            get new children from (ie: You have the Children and Grandchildren of
            the 90% who were not taken).
          • soccerryot
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
              They don't actually have to take them all. The threat just has to be there. The adults would realize that if they were killed, and there was no one left to protect the children, the 456 COULD take all of the children. The threat is enough to make them turn out the 10%.

              And while the 456 could take all of the Earths children, they probably realize that then they would have to feed and house all of them. And of course, then they would have to imprison some to be kept for breeding purposes. But why take all of the children when they can just take what they need, and leave the humans to keep breeding more? Then their drug supply never runs out, and they don't have to house those kids.

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas N. Beck" <tomfodw@...> wrote:

              > How do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just take all of them?
            • Thomas Beck
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                Okay then - if they have the technology to find the drug and use it
                (and how did they find out about that in the first place?) - and if
                they have the technology to get to Earth and to threaten us - and to
                make that virus - why can't THEY synthesize the drug?

                On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:23 AM, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

                > At 14:22 -0400 on 09/09/2009, Thomas N. Beck wrote about Re:
                > [torchwood] Re: Watching COE again:
                >
                > >ow do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that
                > >now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just
                > >take all of them?
                >
                > If they took all the children then they would reduce the possibility
                > of having enough children when they came back the next time. All the
                > children then would have needed to have been from current adults
                > having more children. Leaving 90% gives a much larger population to
                > get new children from (ie: You have the Children and Grandchildren of
                > the 90% who were not taken).

                Tom Beck

                Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

                Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
                almost perfectly.

              • Chris Garen
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                  Hi All,
                     They don't synthesize the drug because as in most cases "The real thing gives the best effect", they've had the original children for 40 years,surely  intelligent beings as the 456 obviously are, would have tried to synthesize the chemicals ,it would have been so much easier "
                      Best wishes Chris

                • nyc blkboy
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                    Its funny I just started re watching COE too :)

                    On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Thomas Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

                    > Okay then - if they have the technology to find the drug and use it
                    > (and how did they find out about that in the first place?) - and if
                    > they have the technology to get to Earth and to threaten us - and to
                    > make that virus - why can't THEY synthesize the drug?
                    >

                    > On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:23 AM, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
                    >
                    > > At 14:22 -0400 on 09/09/2009, Thomas N. Beck wrote about Re:
                    > > [torchwood] Re: Watching COE again:
                    > >
                    > > >ow do they do that? And, if they can do that, why don't they do that
                    > > >now? Why make us give them only 10% of our children, why not just
                    > > >take all of them?
                    > >
                    > > If they took all the children then they would reduce the possibility
                    > > of having enough children when they came back the next time. All the
                    > > children then would have needed to have been from current adults
                    > > having more children. Leaving 90% gives a much larger population to
                    > > get new children from (ie: You have the Children and Grandchildren of
                    > > the 90% who were not taken).

                    > Tom Beck
                    >
                    > Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?
                    >
                    > Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
                    > almost perfectly.

                    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                    capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                    labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous
                    .
                    Email: nycblkboy.porn@...
                    Twitter: http://twitter.com/Number301
                    Blog: http://randomthoughtstj.wordpress.com/

                  • soccerryot
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                      At this point in the history of Torchwood's Earth it doesn't really matter how the 456 discovered this drug. If it were that a character was going to travel through time and/or space to prevent the 456 from ever discovering it, then Davies and the writing team would explain that. But for now, the audience does not really need to know the how, just that the addicts and the recreational drug users among the 456 want this drug.

                      And when you think about it, a trip to Earth to get more drugs is a probably a major expedition, right? So if the 456 have advanced technology, wouldn't they have already attempted to synthesize it? I'm with those in thinking that they would have already attempted it and either it can't be done, or it's just not good enough, which is why they go to the source.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                        Well, the whole idea of their being able to get here at all is totally
                        idiotic, but that's true of the entire Doctor Who universe, so I
                        suppose I won't go there.

                        To be honest, I don't think RTD and the others even thought about the
                        scientific implications of their story. It's just nitpicking at this
                        point, but still, my original point remains: if they destroy us, they
                        destroy the source of their drug. Not a bluff that it would be easy to
                        call, but it should have occurred to *someone* at least to bring up as
                        a point for discussion.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 12, 2009
                          How did they find out about earth's children in the first place? Why did
                          they want the children in the first place?

                          On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Thomas Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

                          > Well, the whole idea of their being able to get here at all is totally
                          > idiotic, but that's true of the entire Doctor Who universe, so I
                          > suppose I won't go there.
                          >
                          > To be honest, I don't think RTD and the others even thought about the
                          > scientific implications of their story. It's just nitpicking at this
                          > point, but still, my original point remains: if they destroy us, they
                          > destroy the source of their drug. Not a bluff that it would be easy to
                          > call, but it should have occurred to *someone* at least to bring up as
                          > a point for discussion.
                          >

                          > On Sep 11, 2009, at 3:25 PM, soccerryot wrote:
                          >
                          > > At this point in the history of Torchwood's Earth it doesn't really
                          > > matter how the 456 discovered this drug. If it were that a character
                          > > was going to travel through time and/or space to prevent the 456 from
                          > > ever discovering it, then Davies and the writing team would explain
                          > > that. But for now, the audience does not really need to know the how,
                          > > just that the addicts and the recreational drug users among the 456
                          > > want this drug.
                          > >
                          > > And when you think about it, a trip to Earth to get more drugs is a
                          > > probably a major expedition, right? So if the 456 have advanced
                          > > technology, wouldn't they have already attempted to synthesize it? I'm
                          > > with those in thinking that they would have already attempted it and
                          > > either it can't be done, or it's just not good enough, which is why
                          > > they go to the source.
                          > >
                          > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>, Thomas
                          > Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Okay then - if they have the technology to find the drug and use it
                          > > > (and how did they find out about that in the first place?) - and if
                          > > > they have the technology to get to Earth and to threaten us - and to
                          > > > make that virus - why can't THEY synthesize the drug?

                          > Tom Beck
                          >
                          > Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?
                          >
                          > Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
                          > almost perfectly.

                          "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                          capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                          labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous
                          .
                          Email: nycblkboy.porn@...
                          Twitter: http://twitter.com/Number301
                          Blog: http://randomthoughtstj.wordpress.com/

                        • Robyn Hall
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 12, 2009
                            Good catch, Tom. That's a very logical supposition.

                            Wish I'd thought of it.... Guess I need to pay closer attention to the
                            dialogue in Torchwood eps instead of watching every move Capt. Jack and/or
                            Ianto make(s)!! [?] Guess I'll have one less person to watch when S4
                            begins (they say being optimistic works wonders!).

                            That sux, but having Torchwood and Capt. Jack is better than having none of
                            it at all.

                            Robbie

                            On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Thomas Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

                            > [Not sure that any is still needed, but just in case.]

                            > The 456 need our children as a drug - so to force us to hand over the
                            > kids, they threaten to wipe out our entire species. Um, fine,
                            > except...won't that also wipe out their drug supply?
                            >
                            > Just askin'.

                          • Thomas N. Beck
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 12, 2009
                              Very good questions. When they came the first time and asked for children - why? Did they already know? If so, how?

                              =====================================

                              Tom Beck

                              Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

                              Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them almost perfectly.

                            • BJ
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 13, 2009
                                We know from watching Dr.Who and Torchwood that there are other humans in other galaxies. Maybe the 456 just chose earth because it was the easist target. We were less likely to do anything that would cause them a problem.

                                BJ.

                              • BJ
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 6, 2009
                                  Anna could you contact me off list please, littlebj58@...