Re: [torchwood] Re: The EU, Torchwood and Availability

  • Carole
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 7, 2009
      >Uh, sorry, but no... just try playing a PAL DVD on a regular DVD player
      >on a TV that doesn't support both standards, and you will quickly see
      >that is not the case.<

      You may well be able to play it on your computer or laptop though.

      Carole
    • dennis tuchalski
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 7, 2009
        Yes, you have read this wrong. The video format is no longer the same as
        with VHS. No PAL or NTSC compatibility problems. BUT, DVD's are now
        coded in 8 different "regions". Each region is non-compatible with each
        other. With the exception of region 0 which is compatible with all
        regions. Thus, if you live in the US, the players sold are region 1 and
        will not play region 2 (UK). Unless you get one that is hackable, or a
        region free player (expensive and not as easy to find on the shelf). The
        region system was an attempt to thwart the Asian copying and
        distribution that has plaqued the US video industry.

        dennis

        Judy Ralston wrote:

        > Let me see if I understand this. I live in the USA and I can play the
        > DVD on any player without having to buy extra software to convert it
        > or anything? I just play it like any other DVD I'd buy here? Or did I
        > read this wqrong?
        >
        > Judy
        >

        > To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>
        > From: rarpsl@... <mailto:rarpsl%40optonline.net>
        > Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 21:48:01 -0400
        > Subject: [torchwood] Re: The EU, Torchwood and Availability
        >
        > At 18:46 +0000 on 08/06/2009, Lynn wrote about [torchwood] Re: The
        > EU, Torchwood and Availability:
        >
        > >The real issue isn't the "European Union" -- it's the format
        > >differences between the US and Europe. The US, Canada and Japan use
        > >NTSC, virtually everyone else uses PAL. Unless you have a DVD player
        > >that converts, you can't watch PAL discs on an NTSC TV. It's up to
        > >JB's distributor to make the decision to release the disc in NTSC
        > >format so it can be easily sold in the US and Canada.
        >
        > There is no PAL or NTSC so far as DVDs are concerned (unlike VHS
        > tapes where it does matter) - All DVDs are a single digital recording
        > standard . The ONLY thing that prevents viewing a UK (Region 2) DVD
        > on a US Machine is that it is MARKED as Region 2 instead of Region 0
        > (Viewable in All Regions) or Region 1+2 (Viewable in US/CA + UK).
        > Releasing the disk a R1+2 is all that is needed (I have seen some
        > commercial multi-region DVDs so it is being done).
        >
        > BTW: Region 2 is not only UK (which uses PAL) but Japan (which is
        > NTSC) and there is no problem with playing Japanese R2 DVDs on UK R2
        > Machines.

      • dennis tuchalski
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 7, 2009
          Lucky you, Cari. All, but one, of my players are Samsung. Not a one is
          hackable as far as I have been able to find on the hack sites. Somehow I
          must have missed that SV5000, darn it!. I purchased a hardwired region
          free player and have been a happy camper since. AND no problems with the
          PAL disks. Now, if Samasung would up grade the 5000 to a DVD recorder
          but still keep the region free, etc........................................

          dennis

          Cari wrote:

          > If you want info on individual DVD standalone players, go to
          > www.videohelp.com and input your make/model, in the HACKS section
          > (half way
          > down the left hand side of the page) It will TELL YOU if it can
          > convert PAL
          > to NTSC and if it can be easily hacked. We have multiple tvs in this
          > household with multiple DVD standalones which ALL play Region 2 DVDs
          > in PAL
          > without any problems.
          >
          > It's BluRay players that CANNOT be hacked (as yet) and Sony has a
          > great deal
          > to say on that point.
          >
          > I also have one (albeit archived) VHS Samsung SV5000 player that will
          > happily play anything you shove into it and output in anything you want.
          > SECAM/PAL/NTSC, it handles them all.
          >
          > I'd recommend the Toshiba XD-E500 as a standalone player that is easily
          > hacked. It also plays DivX files perfectly. We have four of them and one
          > Samsung.
          >
          > Experts aren't necessarily experts when they just want you to buy their
          > products. The people you need to find are the folks who have real
          > experience in doing these things. Not folks who distribute DVDs or
          > manufacture players.
          >
          > Cari
          >
          > MS-MVP Windows Technologies.
          >
          > From: torchwood@yahoogroups.com <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>

        • Karel
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 7, 2009
            I ordered Deadline from the book depository in the UK. Great price and free
            shipping. I was hoping it would come today but not yet. :-(

            I bought the last three books from them too.

            >I just purchased Lost Souls from Amazon.com. There was an insert in the
            > COE DVD about it being available and that the other 3 would be available
            > shortly.
            >
            > dennis
            >
            > Dean L. Kaufman wrote:
            >>

            >> While "Children of Earth" has been advertised as being available at
            >> any place in the US DVD's are sold, the audio dramas that preceded it
            >> have not been to my knowledge.
            >>
            >> I had gone to the BBC Shop to buy thee three radio dramas only to be
            >> told by them that they will not sell to anybody in the US because of
            >> rules of the European Union that prevent them from doing so.
          • Cari
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 7, 2009
              Please don't forget that all optical drives on PCs are limited to 5 region
              changes and then it's locked in the last one chosen. The monitor doesn't
              care whether it's PAL or NTSC, but locking an optical drive in the 'wrong'
              region is one thing that does drive folks insane. Of course the solution
              now that they are so cheap is to put two DVD drives in the tower, and keep
              one fixed on Region 1 and one on something else (usually Region 2). And
              remember to label which one is which, optical drives are much more difficult
              to 'hack' than standalone DVD players! If it's a notebook with no further
              space for a second optical drive, there is always the option of an external
              one that plugs into the USB port.

              These things are designed to try our patience on a daily (if not hourly)
              basis.

              I actually got the BluRay Torchwood DVDs and CoE because the price
              difference at Amazon wasn't that much and the quality of the picture is
              simply outstanding.

              Cari

              MS-MVP Windows Technologies, Printing & Imaging.

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 8, 2009
                The insert with COE says that they are available "at fine retailers
                everywhere" <G> and then lists BBCAudiobooksAmerica.com. But it does say
                available in fall 2009. I have them on download but will also purchase
                them when they are available. So much easier as I really hate spending
                any more time at the computer than I have to. As if anyone truely needs
                to be at a computer (please, I am not opening this for dis/cussing ;-)
                - just playing devil's advocate)

                dennis

                Karel wrote:

                > I ordered Deadline from the book depository in the UK. Great price and
                > free
                > shipping. I was hoping it would come today but not yet. :-(
                >
                > I bought the last three books from them too.
                >
                > >I just purchased Lost Souls from Amazon.com. There was an insert in the
                > > COE DVD about it being available and that the other 3 would be available
                > > shortly.
                > >
                > > dennis
                > >
                > > Dean L. Kaufman wrote:
                > >>

                > >> While "Children of Earth" has been advertised as being available at
                > >> any place in the US DVD's are sold, the audio dramas that preceded it
                > >> have not been to my knowledge.
                > >>
                > >> I had gone to the BBC Shop to buy thee three radio dramas only to be
                > >> told by them that they will not sell to anybody in the US because of
                > >> rules of the European Union that prevent them from doing so.

              • Robert A. Rosenberg
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 8, 2009
                  At 18:23 -0500 on 08/07/2009, dennis tuchalski wrote about Re:
                  [torchwood] Re: The EU, Torchwood and Availability:

                  >The region system was an attempt to thwart the Asian copying and
                  >distribution that has plaqued the US video industry.

                  It was also an attempt to allow the DVDs to get released at different
                  times (so that a movie that has not yet hit the screens in an area
                  can have its DVD release delayed until the studios get off their ass
                  and release the movie). It also, unfortunately, has the collateral
                  damage effect that you must buy separate copies for each region you
                  live in just to be able to watch a DVD you have already purchased
                  (ie: If you commute between the US and the UK, you must buy two
                  copies even if they were released at the same time in both regions).
                  From the studio's view point this is a good thing since they get paid
                  twice for selling you the same item.
                • KT
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 9, 2009
                    The no region DVD player I bought on Amazon for $35 plays PAL just fine.

                    Be well,
                    Katie