The Wrong Message (Re: Children of Earth)

  • morgaine0000
    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 30, 2009

      > > ___
      > > / __|
      > > | (__
      > > \___|
      > > ___
      > > / _ \
      > > | __/
      > > \___|
      > >

      > I already gave it. I'd rather not survive such a deal. But seeing as I'm clever and can >consider alternatives¬ólike Captain Kirk--I'd say not taking the alien's threat seriously >the first step. You'd have to force their hand to see where exactly they sit, whether they >were as bad-ass as they said or whether they were just a bunch of vagabond junkies>> >pushing their luck to get their next fix? I mean, they needed us to build them an >environment to allow them their visit. LOL Why not tamper with that when we had them >or evacuate the population under the guise of getting the children ready for a trade and >nuke the assholes. Anything would be better than simply giving up. What, one small >gassing of a building was enough to make us roll over and hand our children over. Yeah >right.

      I thought the alien in the tank was just one emissary. I think they had a ship that could not be found with Earth technology. It would have made sense to kill that alien after he killed everyone in the building. It would show how serious the aliens were and what they were actually capable of - but at great risk, or course. Which politicians really hate.

      > If they want to take our children let them try. I mean, would you roll over if some big army decided to bomb your cities or invade your country and threaten to destroy it if you did not hand over your children, say the Arabs. What would you do if Iran gets nukes and decides to threaten Israel or America..think we should just say okay, you win.
      >
      > The question is as it always is in a world where the strong try to impose themselves. Surrender or fight?
      >
      > Death is not the worst thing that can happen to you and sometimes it is better to fight and lose than to live with the tyranny of those who would impose.
      >
      > But I am Scottish. We are defiant and brave. We'd rather die than live as slaves.

      When Jack made the decision to sacrifice his grandson, his decision was not between leading humanity on a fight to death versus sacrificing one child. The world's leaders had already decided to sacrifice 10% of the world's children to the aliens. And it was happening right that second. As far as we know, Jack had no way to stop this. The children weren't going to be killed. What the aliens were planning on doing was clearly portrayed as a fate _worse_ than death (Frobischer murder/suicide). His choice was to sacrifice one child to a quick death to prevent millions of children being sold as eternal, tortured slaves. In my opinion, the moral failing was clearly on the worlds' governments, not Jack.

      One plot hole that really bugged me, was it seemed like with all of the technology the aliens had they could have just kidnapped the children. For the show to work, they have to be almost invincible - but then the story wouldn't exist because they'd just do what they wanted and not bother to negotiate.
    • Kaki4
      Message 86 of 86 , Jun 21, 2010