Re: Barrowman Glasgow Concert

  • oliverjaym
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

      > A friend of mine I met through this list has been asking me if John Barrowman's Glasgow Scotland concert is available online anywhere for download or file sharing. I have tried looking everywhere but have had no success so far. If any person here knows where to find it, please let me know privately.

      I'm sure it's available for pre-order now from Amazon or Play - did your friend look at online shops? I'd hope that people would be interested in purchasing a copy and supporting Mr Barrowman rather than just asking about file sharing opportunities......
    • Carole Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
        The DVD will be released in November and I think it should be a reasonable
        price. There's also the possibility that it will be released in both PAL
        and NTSC formats (it's anyway going to be Region 0), so that should make it
        compatible for the North and South American market as well as the European
        and Australasian.

        I haven't heard whether it will be made available via download via iTunes or
        Amazon perhaps. That might be a good option too.

        I'm sure you *were* only referring to legal downloads, but I do hope that
        people will resist the temptation to illegally share the content of the DVD
        when it is available. If people steal it rather than purchase it, the
        chances are there won't be DVDs of the concerts in future. Anyway, I'm
        pretty sure this group doesn't permit the promotion of illegal
        file-sharing (Mods: what is your policy on this please?)

        Carole

        (Answer: The policy is on the front page at Yahoo Groups. -Mod.)

        On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Dean L. Kaufman <deanlkaufman@...
        > wrote:

        > A friend of mine I met through this list has been asking me if John
        > Barrowman's Glasgow Scotland concert is available online anywhere for
        > download or file sharing.<
        > Recent Activity
        >
        > - 7
        > New Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/torchwood/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbGN2N2t0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2MzkzMzQwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAzNjQ2NARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjQ5NDYxMTIz>
        >
        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/torchwood;_ylc=X3oDMTJmY2RmamEwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2MzkzMzQwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAzNjQ2NARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEyNDk0NjExMjM->
        > Yahoo! Groups
        >
        > Cats Group<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14h9poeqb/M=493064.12016263.12445670.8674578/D=groups/S=1705036464:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1249468323/L=/B=PGbLDkPDhFw-/J=1249461123462928/K=7girplytNpoldCkO.LleUQ/A=5522124/R=0/SIG=11kt0eu7c/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/domoreforcats/>
        >
        > Join a group for
        >
        > cat owners like you
        > Yahoo! Groups

        > Just for moms
        >
        > Join the discussion
        > Y! Groups blog
        >
        > the best source<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14ht91eap/M=493064.12016258.12582637.8674578/D=groups/S=1705036464:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1249468323/L=/B=PmbLDkPDhFw-/J=1249461123462928/K=7girplytNpoldCkO.LleUQ/A=5191955/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/>
        >
        > for the latest
        >
        > scoop on Groups.
        > .

      • michele.briere
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2009
          If they don't release it on a format we can watch in the US, what other choice do we have except to find an illegal download? I don't like it, it's stealing money from John and the production. I don't even do torrents because it's stealing from the actors. But I want to watch the concert, too.

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Carole Gordon <caroleagordon@...> wrote:

          > The DVD will be released in November and I think it should be a reasonable
          > price. There's also the possibility that it will be released in both PAL
          > and NTSC formats (it's anyway going to be Region 0), so that should make it
          > compatible for the North and South American market as well as the European
          > and Australasian.
          >
          > I haven't heard whether it will be made available via download via iTunes or
          > Amazon perhaps. That might be a good option too.
          >
          > I'm sure you *were* only referring to legal downloads, but I do hope that
          > people will resist the temptation to illegally share the content of the DVD
          > when it is available. If people steal it rather than purchase it, the
          > chances are there won't be DVDs of the concerts in future. Anyway, I'm
          > pretty sure this group doesn't permit the promotion of illegal
          > file-sharing (Mods: what is your policy on this please?)
          >
          > Carole
          >
          > (Answer: The policy is on the front page at Yahoo Groups. -Mod.)

        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2009
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "michele.briere" <michele.briere@...> wrote:

            > If they don't release it on a format we can watch in the US, what >other choice do we have except to find an illegal download? I don't >like it, it's stealing money from John and the production. I don't >even do torrents because it's stealing from the actors. But I want to >watch the concert, too.

            Well, you can buy the DVD from Amazon.co.uk, and watch it on your computer. If it's region 0, as has been claimed, this won't be a problem -- PAL DVDs are vieweable on a computer.

            Or you could buy the DVD and then download the torrent, if you have a way to watch .avi files on your TV. At least then you'd still be paying for the content.

            Or if you need a new DVD player anyway, you could buy a multi-region converting one like one of these: http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/dvdorig.htm It converts PAL to NTSC and bypasses any region coding, and it will of course play all your regular DVDs as well. They start from around $49. I've bought two of these over the years, and they are all-around great players.

            -Lynn
          • Carole
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2009
              The DVD is being released in Region 0 format and if there is sufficient
              demand, they will also produce it in NTSC format as well as PAL. The
              PAL format may play on people's computers (rather than TV and DVD
              player). So there's likely to be plenty of compatibility. You'll be
              able to buy it via Amazon.co.uk and other online stores. Amazon.com
              might also carry the NTSC version.

              As Michele says, otherwise you're stealing from John, the musicians, the
              dancers, etc and next time they simply won't bother to do a DVD.

              You *always* have a choice - to steal or not to. We can't always get
              everything we want in this life, unfortunately!

              Carole