COE

  • dennis tuchalski
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2 3:01 PM
      Do we actually really still need spoiler space? Placed anyway.
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .

      .

      .
      ..
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .

      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      OK, my personal feelings of the show, after reading all of the posts and
      remaining silent until watching twice, it was an excellent piece. My hat
      is off to RTD!!! And, I feel that there will be a TW 4.

      Now, my comments, as such. Ianto died. Get over it. We got over Tosh and
      Owen dying. Why not Ianto? The show still goes on, just like life does.

      No amount of rift energy, etc is going to bring people back or change
      what has happened. RTD wrote a story. It has a time line that
      progresses. So should we.

      Do not look forward to more from Mr. Frobisher. As interesting as a
      civil servant can be. Actually I had hoped for more from him. BUT, there
      were 4 gunshots from the room with 4 people in it.

      In particular I was taken with the reasoning behind the selection of the
      children. My wife is a teacher (we live in the US if that puts any slant
      here). I think that RTD was having a go at our educational system.
      Particularly brilliant.

      As for the future....time will tell. But I look forward to TW4. Possibly
      Martha Jones, remember she was on vacation (honeymoon). Possibly Mikey.
      I would personally like to see more of the Army gal (never got her name)
      that led the teams. Also Lois Habiba and even possibly Mr. Dekker.
      Leaves plenty of openings for a new Torchwood.

      Oh yeah, Jack will be back!!

      dennis
    • PRATERAE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 3 9:23 AM
        flashn9wdq@... writes:

        Do we actually really still need spoiler space? Placed anyway.
        .
        (moderator: Yes - more detailed explanation on another message)
        .
        .
        .
        .

        .

        .
        ..
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .

        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        OK, my personal feelings of the show, after reading all of the posts and
        remaining silent until watching twice, it was an excellent piece. My hat
        is off to RTD!!! And, I feel that there will be a TW 4.

        Now, my comments, as such. Ianto died. Get over it.

        Why should I get over it? His death might not have bothered you but it
        bothered me. I'm not telling you how to feel or act so please afford me the
        same courtesey.

        Ali P

      • marcalie_north
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 3 10:02 AM
          Moderator note:

          As this is a global group, generally speaking we do maintain spoiler space for significantly longer than a week or two after broadcast.
          This is ensure that those parts of the world that get Torchwood through a dubbed/subtitled version have chance to see whatever their local syndicated version is (often up to 6 months or more after BBC transmission).

          <end mod not>

          (Do we put a spoiler space before replies? Is it really a spoiler if the show has been out for a week? I'm putting one just in case...)

          Was I the only one bothered by the fact that EVERYONE from the original team has now died (who are able, of course) but NO ONE has been replaced? Maybe RTD should highlight the fact that he is showcasing a two-bit operation with Captain Jack's Torchwood because there probably should have been some serious recruiting going on, especially after Tosh and Owen died.

          I did however, love the fact that Captain Jack's attempt at being the Doctor completely an utterly failed. ("You WILL stop threatening earth!" Alien says:NO) I found it absolutely hysterical, except for the whole, getting Ianto and everyone else in the building killed bit.

          Marcalie

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, dennis tuchalski <flashn9wdq@...> wrote:

          > Do we actually really still need spoiler space? Placed anyway.
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          >

          > .
          >
          > .
          > ..
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          >
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > OK, my personal feelings of the show, after reading all of the posts and
          > remaining silent until watching twice, it was an excellent piece. My hat
          > is off to RTD!!! And, I feel that there will be a TW 4.
          >
          > Now, my comments, as such. Ianto died. Get over it. We got over Tosh and
          > Owen dying. Why not Ianto? The show still goes on, just like life does.
          >
          > No amount of rift energy, etc is going to bring people back or change
          > what has happened. RTD wrote a story. It has a time line that
          > progresses. So should we.
          >
          > Do not look forward to more from Mr. Frobisher. As interesting as a
          > civil servant can be. Actually I had hoped for more from him. BUT, there
          > were 4 gunshots from the room with 4 people in it.
          >
          > In particular I was taken with the reasoning behind the selection of the
          > children. My wife is a teacher (we live in the US if that puts any slant
          > here). I think that RTD was having a go at our educational system.
          > Particularly brilliant.
          >
          > As for the future....time will tell. But I look forward to TW4. Possibly
          > Martha Jones, remember she was on vacation (honeymoon). Possibly Mikey.
          > I would personally like to see more of the Army gal (never got her name)
          > that led the teams. Also Lois Habiba and even possibly Mr. Dekker.
          > Leaves plenty of openings for a new Torchwood.
          >
          > Oh yeah, Jack will be back!!
          >
          > dennis

        • Andre Andre
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 3 10:51 AM
            Open discussion at TorchwoodNOSPOILERS@yahoogroups.com started today.  No more spoiler space required.

            Andre.

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3 1:20 PM
              > flashn9wdq@... writes:
              >

              > .
              > (
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              >
              > .
              >
              > .
              > ..
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > OK, my personal feelings of the show, after reading all of the posts and
              > remaining silent until watching twice, it was an excellent piece. My hat
              > is off to RTD!!! And, I feel that there will be a TW 4.
              >
              > Now, my comments, as such. Ianto died. Get over it.

              Why are people so anxious to tell others how they should act and feel? I'm
              glad you liked it so much. I wish I had. I really dislike when people tell
              me to get over it. It's not your concern. I pay to watch this show, the
              writer gets paid to write it. Why can't the viewer say, hey, I didn't like
              that part? Do we have to follow along blindly like sheep all time?

              Let me ask you - did you watch season 1 and 2? Do you own the DVDs? Is COE
              the same universe as Torchwood storyline? Which way would you like TW4 to
              go? Back to the orginial premise?
            • flashn9wdq@charter.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 3 7:48 PM
                Moderator note:

                As this is a global group, generally speaking we do maintain spoiler space for significantly longer than a week or two after broadcast.
                This is ensure that those parts of the world that get Torchwood through a dubbed/subtitled version have chance to see whatever their local syndicated version is (often up to 6 months or more after BBC transmission).

                <end mod not>

                My comment was not to say how to feel about Ianto's death. I too, was very touched by it. And will very much miss him. I was commenting on the fact that it did occur and that as in real life, we must move on. Each person is free to mourn, etc in their own way.

                ---- PRATERAE@... wrote:
                > Now, my comments, as such. Ianto died. Get over it.
                >
                > Why should I get over it? His death might not have bothered you but it
                > bothered me. I'm not telling you how to feel or act so please afford me the
                > same courtesey.
                >
                > Ali P

              • KT
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4 12:01 AM
                  > As this is a global group, generally speaking we do maintain spoiler space
                  > for significantly longer than a week or two after broadcast.
                  > This is ensure that those parts of the world that get Torchwood through a
                  > dubbed/subtitled version have chance to see whatever their local
                  > syndicated version is (often up to 6 months or more after BBC
                  > transmission).

                  > <end mod not>
                  >

                  > (Do we put a spoiler space before replies? Is it really a spoiler if the
                  > show has been out for a week? I'm putting one just in case...)

                  > Was I the only one bothered by the fact that EVERYONE from the original
                  > team has now died (who are able, of course) but NO ONE has been replaced?
                  > Maybe RTD should highlight the fact that he is showcasing a two-bit
                  > operation with Captain Jack's Torchwood because there probably should have
                  > been some serious recruiting going on, especially after Tosh and Owen
                  > died.

                  Isn't that what they were doing with the doctor before he turned traitor and
                  the personal assistant. Besides you never hire replacements until after the
                  next season is official.
                • KT
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 4 12:02 AM
                    > Do we actually really still need spoiler space? Placed anyway.
                    > .
                    > (moderator: Yes - more detailed explanation on another message)
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    >
                    > .
                    >
                    > .
                    > ..
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    >
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > OK, my personal feelings of the show, after reading all of the posts and
                    > remaining silent until watching twice, it was an excellent piece. My hat
                    > is off to RTD!!! And, I feel that there will be a TW 4.
                    >
                    > Now, my comments, as such. Ianto died. Get over it.
                    >
                    > Why should I get over it? His death might not have bothered you but it
                    > bothered me. I'm not telling you how to feel or act so please afford me
                    > the
                    > same courtesey.

                    Beacaus e that is what DGL wants as evidenced by his quote
                    "To the fans who are still absolutely devastated, I would say it is just a
                    TV show and I am still here and still doing things even if Ianto is gone."
                  • Daren :)
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4 1:53 AM
                      > As this is a global group, generally speaking we do maintain spoiler space
                      > for significantly longer than a week or two after broadcast.
                      > This is ensure that those parts of the world that get Torchwood through a
                      > dubbed/subtitled version have chance to see whatever their local
                      > syndicated version is (often up to 6 months or more after BBC
                      > transmission).

                      I think for me the biggest let down was the last minute end to the story Jack was in jail and that she devil government agent which so needed a good killing suddenly turns goody and lets Jack out of jail and says why not try radio frequencies ! What a let down I really expected jack to come up with that by himself and not be simply "asked" to do it

                      Daren

                    • flashn9wdq@charter.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4 3:42 AM
                        ---- Karel <jerseyjunior@...> wrote:
                        > > Why are people so anxious to tell others how they should act and feel? I'm
                        > glad you liked it so much. I wish I had. I really dislike when people tell
                        > me to get over it. It's not your concern. I pay to watch this show, the
                        > writer gets paid to write it. Why can't the viewer say, hey, I didn't like
                        > that part? Do we have to follow along blindly like sheep all time?

                        See other comments left for different responder.

                        > Let me ask you - did you watch season 1 and 2? Do you own the DVDs? Is COE
                        > the same universe as Torchwood storyline? Which way would you like TW4 to
                        > go? Back to the orginial premise?

                        Yes, i both watched and own TW 1 & 2. I also plan on purchasing the CD's of the 4 audio events. Yes, I believe that COE is in the same universe as the Torchwood storyline. Thus my comment as such. As for which way i would like TW 4 to go - no real thoughts there. Most likley up to the writer/s. It is sorta like asking me how I would have liked TW 2 to go after the ending of TW 1. I am not sure just what you mean by the original premise but am guessing you mean back to catching aliens and defending. Yeah, i liked that. I tend to like action stories more than deep political/emotional (yes, some is needed)/social stories (like how much of BSG was devoted to). All not very well said but I hope the thought is there.
                      • Karel
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4 9:35 AM
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4 10:42 AM
                            Yeah Darin,
                            > Moderator note:Spoiler space moved - please ensure that it comes BEFORE any potential spoilers
                            >
                            > As this is a global group, generally speaking we do maintain spoiler space
                            > for significantly longer than a week or two after broadcast.
                            > This is ensure that those parts of the world that get Torchwood through a
                            > dubbed/subtitled version have chance to see whatever their local
                            > syndicated version is (often up to 6 months or more after BBC
                            > transmission) .

                            I was really put out by that too.  It's just like when James Bond couldn't get out of that foreign prison on his own and the goverment had to make a trade.

                            I was expecting for Jack to literally save the day himself.  Instead he killed a child.  His own grandson at that!

                            karenisawriter@...

                            I think for me the biggest let down was the last minute end to the story Jack was in jail and that she devil government agent which so needed a good killing suddenly turns goody and lets Jack out of jail and says why not try radio frequencies ! What a let down I really expected jack to come up with that by himself and not be simply "asked" to do it

                            Daren

                          • Daisy-Rose Skye
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4 8:39 PM
                              Play nicely.  Torchwood is a tv show, not something to get too emotional over.  CoE is as it is and no amount of comment on our part is going to change that.
                               Daisy-Rose Skye.

                              Operation 'This Will Most Likely End Badly' is a go.

                              At my age I have seen everything, done everything and heard everything.
                              I just wish I could remember everything.

                              ________________________________
                              > > Why are people so anxious to tell others how they should act and feel? I'm
                              > glad you liked it so much. I wish I had. I really dislike when people tell
                              > me to get over it. It's not your concern. I pay to watch this show, the
                              > writer gets paid to write it. Why can't the viewer say, hey, I didn't like
                              > that part? Do we have to follow along blindly like sheep all time?

                              See other comments left for different responder.

                              > Let me ask you - did you watch season 1 and 2? Do you own the DVDs? Is COE
                              > the same universe as Torchwood storyline? Which way would you like TW4 to
                              > go? Back to the orginial premise?

                              Yes, i both watched and own TW 1 & 2. I also plan on purchasing the CD's of the 4 audio events. Yes, I believe that COE is in the same universe as the Torchwood storyline. Thus my comment as such. As for which way i would like TW 4 to go - no real thoughts there. Most likley up to the writer/s. It is sorta like asking me how I would have liked TW 2 to go after the ending of TW 1. I am not sure just what you mean by the original premise but am guessing you mean back to catching aliens and defending. Yeah, i liked that. I tend to like action stories more than deep political/emotional (yes, some is needed)/social stories (like how much of BSG was devoted to). All not very well said but I hope the thought is there.

                            • badblokebob
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 5 2:39 AM
                                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Karel" <jerseyjunior@...> wrote:

                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >>
                                > >> .
                                > >>
                                > >> .
                                > >> ..
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >>
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >> .
                                > >>

                                > GDL also said this:
                                >
                                > AE: You may not be able to answer this, but is that even a possibility or
                                > did the writers say to you, "He's dead and gone and don't even think about
                                > coming back."
                                > GDL: That hasn't been said to me. I can tell you that. What has been said to
                                > me is "Hey, it's sci-fi, anything can happen."
                                >
                                > And this:
                                >
                                > AE: I know you couldn't tell me even if you did know, but if somehow Ianto
                                > were to come back, would you like to have the character return?
                                > GDL: Yeah, absolutely. Like I said, I wanted to make sure there were certain
                                > elements of Ianto's life that were brought to the forefront before anything
                                > tragic happened Also I think probably a lot of things were touched on and
                                > hinted, and they were explained. I think if Ianto was brought back it would
                                > be some sort of miracle - whether time travel, or cloning, or other - it
                                > would be fun to explore.
                                >

                                > So he's thinking about it too. To quote a movie from another sci fi
                                > universe - "There is always possibilities."

                                I sincerely hope they don't bring him back. One of the great things about Torchwood -- and especially CoE -- is that (so far) it's a Sci-Fi Drama, not just Sci-Fi. By that I mean it also conforms to the rules of being a good Drama, not just a good Sci-Fi show, and in Drama people die and it has an impact, they don't get to magically come back a series or two later.

                                Bringing Ianto back would completely ruin the impact and importance of his death. The same thing happened when they brought Rose back in Doctor Who. I'm sure it pleased some of the weaker-willed fans, but when she left the second time there was none of that "they'll never see each other again, how tragic!" stuff, just "ach well, if she wants to come back she'll just have to destroy dimensional walls again and the Doctor can fix 'em. What's the big fuss about?"

                                And... actually, I'll leave out my next point because I should give it a spoiler space! So I'll move on to:

                                The flipside of this is that Who is a family show on a Saturday night -- it should be big, bold, fun and have a happy ending (eventually). Torchwood, on the other hand, is pitched as Proper Adult Drama -- it's post-watershed, serious, deals with issues. This does not preclude it from having humour (to paraphrase something RTD has said many a time, Drama does not mean just Depressing), but it does mean that, in my opinion, it should stick to real-world rules more (not entirely -- it's a SF show after all -- but more). As I said at the beginning, if you go bringing back characters it undermines every single death they ever have -- why not bring back Owen and Tosh the same way? Suzie? Tommy? Any other takers?

                                I loved Ianto -- easily my favourite character -- I love Torchwood, and I loved CoE. And for all these reasons I never, ever want him to come back (unless it's via something sensible, like flashbacks, and we should always be wary of those. Or, to be fair, something mad like Jack using time travel to rescue him from before his death, but this then having Serious Nasty Consequences For The Whole Of Time (eventually resulting to him being put back and dying, a la Tommy... OK, seems that story's been done. No more Ianto then, thanks!)).

                                Apologies for the digression, back to my point: bringing him back via some silly made-up sci-fi conceit would ruin the impact of his death. It was tragic and heartbreaking, and a brilliant piece of TV for it.

                                On a similar note, actually, is the equally controversial subject of Jack killing his own grandson. Again, this is why Torchwood is good Drama. Imagine this was a real-world situation and you're faced with killing your grandson to save millions of other children, maybe even the world, or letting your grandson live and condemning those children. In real life you don't get to stand around saying "well, there must be some other magic way I could save everyone AND keep my grandson", you have to make the choice. Jack made a choice -- an horrific one -- the kind of choice a normal person would never have to make, perhaps never could make, but it showed us so much about Jack.

                                This is Good Drama. Seriously. Of course they could've come up with a cop out -- "if I adjust the polarity down two steps it should be enough to get the message out but not kill him!" -- but they didn't, because that would be rubbish. It would be a cop out. There would be no consequences. Jack wouldn't've had to make an Impossible Decision, it would just be the obvious thing to do. CoE's ending can be criticised for many things, but that impossible choice is what raises it up to a high level of quality regardless of how out-of-the-blue the frequency-whatever stuff is -- that's just sci-fi technobabble to get to the Point, the very real human decision Jack has to take.

                                Actually, the more I write about it, the more I realise just how damn good an ending that is.

                                We've had a lot of good miniseries on British TV of late, but for my money T:CoE is the best since State of Play (imo, one of the gold-standards of TV drama). And that's because it's uncompromising and truly realistic, because Ianto and grandson-whose-name-I-can't-even-remember die. Without that -- with entirely fictitious sci-fi get-outs to save them, or nice And Everything Was Fine non-choices to make at the end -- it would just have been another piece of blandly re-affirming genre TV, watched by about 2 million people. And while that's nice, it's even better to have a Proper Drama that is also genre, that's watched by a huge mainstream audience.

                                So now I've convinced myself of something else, actually: while I love the first two seasons, CoE is in a league of its own far beyond them. Before it was a very good genre series; now it's very good television, fullstop.

                                (Apologies that this reply has gone on at least ten times as long as I expected it to!)
                              • michele.briere
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 5 8:26 AM

                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .

                                  I write, and I can tell you when writing a story, the main story line needs to be continued no matter which character it runs over. TW is about the story, not the character. When the story line needs a hit to keep it moving, or even sent into a new direction, characters are sacrificed. This is how it works.

                                  TW has always been about the storyline, not the characters. The main story line has always been built toward the day Earth enters the galactic playing field. The opening statement by Jack, at the beginning of every episode, states this.

                                  Yes, we are all unhappy at the loss of Ianto. Our hero has shown his feet of clay, too, by sacrificing his grandson. Taking in the cannon up til that point, what else could he have done? Stephen was the only child present. I don't know why this is a difficult fact for people to process. It came down to one child or millions. You make the choice. Would you truly sacrifice millions of children, which would have included your grandchild anyway when you could have saved millions with the sacrifice of one? Jack did the only thing he could.

                                  As for Jack and the radio frequency -give the guy a break. He was blown up. I'm sure his brains were still a little scrambled.

                                  And Jack is obviously in pain over these two deaths, as well as his daughter turning her back on him. Yes, he left. But the bigger question is why. Is he running? Or is he going to go and do something about it? If I were writing Jack from this point, I'd send him gunning for the 456.

                                  Yes, RTD has a bad habit of steamrolling over our feelings for the characters. Yes, we are hurting for the loss of Ianto. At the end of the day, it's still just a tv show. And a sign of excellent writing is when it brings out peoples' feelings.
                                • Amazon X
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 5 11:08 AM
                                    Well said, and I heartily agree. More below the space...

                                    ________________________________
[...]

                                    **Dare I say it, RTD is a little cavalier with with our feelings, telling to just go watch something else, instead of being a little sorry for hurting our feelings, but in the end, ensemble cast shows have to have a shake up.

                                    Now, who wants to bet that when Jack comes back from wherever he is (I'll bet he's going to find the Doctor), Gwen will have a new Hub, new staff and new cases all going. I'm pretty sure of it, really.

                                  • flashn9wdq@charter.net
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 5 6:32 PM
                                      Well said!

                                      dennis

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 6 7:52 AM
                                          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "michele.briere" <michele.briere@...> wrote:

                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          > .
                                          >
                                          > I write, and I can tell you when writing a story, the main story line needs to be continued no matter which character it runs over. TW is about the story, not the character. When the story line needs a hit to keep it moving, or even sent into a new direction, characters are sacrificed. This is how it works.
                                          >
                                          > TW has always been about the storyline, not the characters. The main story line has always been built toward the day Earth enters the galactic playing field. The opening statement by Jack, at the beginning of every episode, states this.
                                          >
                                          > Yes, we are all unhappy at the loss of Ianto. Our hero has shown his feet of clay, too, by sacrificing his grandson. Taking in the cannon up til that point, what else could he have done? Stephen was the only child present. I don't know why this is a difficult fact for people to process. It came down to one child or millions. You make the choice. Would you truly sacrifice millions of children, which would have included your grandchild anyway when you could have saved millions with the sacrifice of one? Jack did the only thing he could.
                                          >
                                          > As for Jack and the radio frequency -give the guy a break. He was blown up. I'm sure his brains were still a little scrambled.
                                          >
                                          > And Jack is obviously in pain over these two deaths, as well as his daughter turning her back on him. Yes, he left. But the bigger question is why. Is he running? Or is he going to go and do something about it? If I were writing Jack from this point, I'd send him gunning for the 456.
                                          >
                                          > Yes, RTD has a bad habit of steamrolling over our feelings for the characters. Yes, we are hurting for the loss of Ianto. At the end of the day, it's still just a tv show. And a sign of excellent writing is when it brings out peoples' feelings.

                                          I have to disagree. I'm a writer, too; and while the storyline is important, it's the characters that make or break a show (or, in my case, a play). If people don't care about the characters, then how can they care about the plot? I, personally, watch tv shows for the characters, not the setting. It's why, of all the Star Trek franchises, I was most drawn to Deep Space Nine and not the others. That show had to rely on well developed characters because they were land locked, so to speak.

                                          COE was so full of major plot holes, RTD really needed to bank more heavily on his characters. I think he failed miserably. Killing off a major character immediately after offing two others ruined the show for me. Good drama comes from conflict, not senseless death. Children of Earth was melodrama. Add to that RTD's disdain for his fans, and I am unwilling to give him any more of my time.
                                        • Karen Harrington
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 6 10:17 AM
                                            Spoiler space moved by mod...

                                            > .
                                            > .
                                            > .
                                            > .
                                            > .
                                            > .
                                            > .
                                            > .
                                            > .

                                            I agree with you about Jack having to sacirfice his own grandson.� At that point what could he do.� But I think he was caught slipping for it to even get that far.
                                            �
                                            I also write and I can tell you now that without great characters you can not have a great story.� Both the characters and the plot are equally important.� I guarantee you that no one would have given a hoot about Ianto dying if he wasn't the likeable character that he is.� And no one would be disappointed in Jack for killing his own blood if he wasn't the swashbuckling hero that we all know and love.
                                            �
                                            The characters is what makes us care about the storyline in the first place.� But in the end, I have to thank you for your intelligent statements.� You really made me think.
                                            �
                                            karenisawirter@yahoo,com

                                            > I write, and I can tell you when writing a story, the main story line needs to be continued no matter which character it runs over. TW is about the story, not the character. When the story line needs a hit to keep it moving, or even sent into a new direction, characters are sacrificed. This is how it works.
                                            >
                                            > TW has always been about the storyline, not the characters. The main story line has always been built toward the day Earth enters the galactic playing field. The opening statement by Jack, at the beginning of every episode, states this.
                                            >
                                            > Yes, we are all unhappy at the loss of Ianto. Our hero has shown his feet of clay, too, by sacrificing his grandson. Taking in the cannon up til that point, what else could he have done? Stephen was the only child present. I don't know why this is a difficult fact for people to process. It came down to one child or millions. You make the choice. Would you truly sacrifice millions of children, which would have included your grandchild anyway when you could have saved millions with the sacrifice of one? Jack did the only thing he could.
                                            >
                                            > As for Jack and the radio frequency -give the guy a break. He was blown up. I'm sure his brains were still a little scrambled.
                                            >
                                            > And Jack is obviously in pain over these two deaths, as well as his daughter turning her back on him. Yes, he left. But the bigger question is why. Is he running? Or is he going to go and do something about it? If I were writing Jack from this point, I'd send him gunning for the 456.
                                            >
                                            > Yes, RTD has a bad habit of steamrolling over our feelings for the characters. Yes, we are hurting for the loss of Ianto. At the end of the day, it's still just a tv show. And a sign of excellent writing is when it brings out peoples' feelings.

                                            I have to disagree. I'm a writer, too; and while the storyline is important, it's the characters that make or break a show (or, in my case, a play). If people don't care about the characters, then how can they care about the plot? I, personally, watch tv shows for the characters, not the setting. It's why, of all the Star Trek franchises, I was most drawn to Deep Space Nine and not the others. That show had to rely on well developed characters because they were land locked, so to speak.

                                            COE was so full of major plot holes, RTD really needed to bank more heavily on his characters. I think he failed miserably. Killing off a major character immediately after offing two others ruined the show for me. Good drama comes from conflict, not senseless death. Children of Earth was melodrama. Add to that RTD's disdain for his fans, and I am unwilling to give him any more of my time.

                                          • sem
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 6 11:06 AM

                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .>> S

                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >> .
                                              >>

                                              >COE was so full of major plot holes, RTD really needed to bank more
                                              >heavily on his characters. I think he failed miserably. Killing off a
                                              >major character immediately after offing two others ruined the show for
                                              >me. Good drama comes from conflict, not senseless death. Children of
                                              >Earth was melodrama. Add to that RTD's disdain for his fans, and I am
                                              >unwilling to give him any more of my time.

                                              Yes, it was awful losing 3 major characters so closely together, but it felt
                                              to me like RTD was closing up shop in case TW wasn't renewed. The end of
                                              Torchwood as an entity would have been a powerful way to end the series. So
                                              many series' endings tie everything up into happy little balls where
                                              everyone gets what they want and lives happily ever after. Torchwood never
                                              seemed like it would be one of those shows.