Doctor Who and Torchwood.

  • gilbey_michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30 11:22 PM
      No spoilers here. I would just like to take a little time to explore the main differences between Doctor Who and Torchwood. We first met Captain Jack Harkness back in 2005 who becomes one of the Doctor's companions for five episodes. In the last one of that series he is exterminated by the Daleks and then restored to life by Rose and from that point on he is immortal but his charactor is not fully explored yet.
      We met him again in Torchwood the following year and now he has really come into his own. A fantasy show like Doctor Who but far more...well, intense is the only word that comes to mind. Far more adult and uncomprimising and far more violent. Not the kind of show I would advise anyone under the age of fourteen to watch even if they do mature earlier these days. This is the kind of drama many adults would find hard to deal with.
      Captain Jack can be a hero to both kids and adults alike. In Doctor Who he can really strut his stuff and be heroic without any personal loss to himself. When he is reunited with The Doctor and meets Martha Jones and they all confront the awesome Master I would have to say this was the best one I ever saw. My point is that Jack can fit into both the world of Doctor Who and Torchwood but The Doctor would not belong in the adult world of Torchwood.
      While The Doctor has lost all his travelling companions it has usually been by them being banished into another dimension (like Rose) or they simply decide not to travel with him again (like Martha). He has never suffered loss in the same way as Jack has and that is the principal difference between them. They are both heroes in their own way but The Doctor I would say is a much less vulnerable one.
    • maxngerry@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31 12:02 PM
        While The Doctor has lost all his travelling companions it has usually been by them being banished into another dimension (like Rose) or they simply decide not to travel with him again (like Martha). He has never suffered loss in the same way as Jack has and that is the principal difference between them. They are both heroes in their own way but The Doctor I would say is a much less vulnerable one.
        ==
        I have to disagree... the Doctor has lost at least 2 companions i can recall due to death - Adric and Sara Kingdom - and i think Cassandra? Plus he lost his entire family and almost his entire race - which according to him, he caused the genocide to occur during the time war. The only reason the Doctor will not be in TW (but TW can be in Dr Who) is that the show is billed as a kids series and kids will want to watch the Dr regardless of what show he is on. External studio politics, not something in the character that makes him a bad cross over candidate. The other reason is that the Doctor is the magic fix it man and that is NOT what TW is about... no deus ex machina for the TW gang... no 'just today everybody lives' moments.

        Namaste,
        Max (Maxime@...)
        (347) 370-9388 (new #)
        http://www.ShoppingTheRift.com