Re: Capt. Jack, Hero or Lovable Rogue

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 16, 2006
      Am I right in thinking that we still know almost nothing about Jack's
      mysterious original employers?

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <whistlingdeath42@...> wrote:

      > I get the impression that Jack started out as the hero, as a member
      of
      > the Time Patrol (or something like that), but when he discovered
      that
      > they wiped a full year of memories from his mind he felt betrayed.
      > This is when he went Rogue, on a one man quest to find the truth.

    • Patrick Power
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
        I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...>
        wrote:

        > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
        just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
        seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

        Patrick Power
        http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

        American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
        http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

        Yahoo! Mail

      • starhawk2197
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 18, 2006
          <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

          > I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

          I think the cover Jack uses in 1941 London covers a great deal of
          who we're supposed to see Jack as. In British fiction American
          volunteers in the RAF before Dec.'41, were generally seen as heroic,
          happy-go-lucky swashbuckler types. Davies said he wanted an American
          type action hero. Stephen Mofatt seems to have prefered Gene Kelly's
          D'artangion, Burt Lancaster's "Crimsom Pirate," and Erol
          Flynn's "Robin Hood," as his model for American Action Heros.

          Jack's former employers seem to be somewhat modeled onthe
          European view of the CIA. It occures to me that, just as the Doctor
          was wrong about the Daleks being wiped out, there may be other
          Galifreyans still around, and the secret masters of the Time Patrol.
          Neither, the Master, the Rani, the Valiyard, the War Chief, nor the
          Meddler, would be a good choice for the secret master of the Time
          Patrol. Susan or Romana, if corrupted or trapped into bad choices,
          would make far more dangerous foes.
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 19, 2006
            Thanks for those musings. RTD's (apparent) premise that there are no
            other surviving Time Lords is obviously absurd. The idea that all the
            Daleks "out there" might turn up for the Time War is one thing. But
            all the Time Lords, including all the renegades? C'mon!!!

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>