Re: [torchwood] The Wrong Message (Re: Children of Earth)

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 28, 2009
      Ash, I want to thank you for your thoughtful reply. My original post was
      an attempt to get people talking beyond the "I hate it. They killed
      Ianto." that most people has been posting. Some people agree with me,
      some not. I can see that this whole conversation has many of us
      thinking. I won't repost your message simply because trying to cut and
      reply to it would remove most of its meaning. So I have just a few thoughts.

      We do have to remember that Jack is from the future. He knows humanity
      is supposed to survive. Second, Jack can't die. Whatever he decides, he
      has to live with the consequences. I realized after my post that I
      should have included that detail in my scenario. At least in my mind,
      those two facts have to affect your choices. You said you'd rather die.
      Honestly, I probably would too. Jack can't. If the world ends, he has to
      see it. He has to live with it, knowing he could have stopped it. Guilt
      of one death vs guilt for death of billions. Not an easy choice.

      You're right that we can rationalize anything. Logic is dangerous. My
      favorite example is Douglas Adams' Babel Fish/Non-existence of God. Your
      "superior aliens" example is interesting but not entirely comparable to
      Jack's predicament. After all, if they only needed 1 person and any
      person would do, I'm sure there is someone in the world with a terminal
      illness who would give their life. That is, assuming the process would
      be painless, or at least less painful than what they were going through.
      We donate organs and it isn't that huge a leap. Instead, let's imagine
      there is only 1 person on the planet with a DNA mutation that would save
      them. The person is happy and healthy with no reason to give up their
      life except their own conscience. To force that person to give up their
      life would be unforgivable. So would that person allowing an entire race
      to die. When faced with two unforgivable acts, both of which would
      destroy and preserve life, how do you choose?

      As you said, Jack is no more or less a hero than any of us. In the end,
      for better or worse, we are all just human.
    • Kaki4
      Message 86 of 86 , Jun 21, 2010