Capt. Jack, Hero or Lovable Rogue

  • Don
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
      I get the impression that Jack started out as the hero, as a member of
      the Time Patrol (or something like that), but when he discovered that
      they wiped a full year of memories from his mind he felt betrayed.
      This is when he went Rogue, on a one man quest to find the truth.

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...>
      wrote:

      > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
      just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
      seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 16, 2006
        Am I right in thinking that we still know almost nothing about Jack's
        mysterious original employers?

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <whistlingdeath42@...> wrote:

        > I get the impression that Jack started out as the hero, as a member
        of
        > the Time Patrol (or something like that), but when he discovered
        that
        > they wiped a full year of memories from his mind he felt betrayed.
        > This is when he went Rogue, on a one man quest to find the truth.

      • Patrick Power
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
          I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

          wrote:

          > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
          just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
          seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

          Patrick Power
          http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

          American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
          http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

          Yahoo! Mail

        • starhawk2197
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 18, 2006
            <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

            > I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

            I think the cover Jack uses in 1941 London covers a great deal of
            who we're supposed to see Jack as. In British fiction American
            volunteers in the RAF before Dec.'41, were generally seen as heroic,
            happy-go-lucky swashbuckler types. Davies said he wanted an American
            type action hero. Stephen Mofatt seems to have prefered Gene Kelly's
            D'artangion, Burt Lancaster's "Crimsom Pirate," and Erol
            Flynn's "Robin Hood," as his model for American Action Heros.

            Jack's former employers seem to be somewhat modeled onthe
            European view of the CIA. It occures to me that, just as the Doctor
            was wrong about the Daleks being wiped out, there may be other
            Galifreyans still around, and the secret masters of the Time Patrol.
            Neither, the Master, the Rani, the Valiyard, the War Chief, nor the
            Meddler, would be a good choice for the secret master of the Time
            Patrol. Susan or Romana, if corrupted or trapped into bad choices,
            would make far more dangerous foes.
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 19, 2006
              Thanks for those musings. RTD's (apparent) premise that there are no
              other surviving Time Lords is obviously absurd. The idea that all the
              Daleks "out there" might turn up for the Time War is one thing. But
              all the Time Lords, including all the renegades? C'mon!!!

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>