Re: [torchwood] Re: Torchwood theme?

  • Elizabeth Holden
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
      --- donutsweeps <donutsweeps@...> wrote:

      > Jack does stress that the problems in ep.13 stem
      > from Owen opening the rift without knowing what
      > he was doing. Maybe it isn't as
      > dangerous to use the rift machine if you DO know
      > what you are doing?

      Presumably not. Remember too that Bilis crossed out
      some of the numbers Tosh had written. Having those
      numbers might have changed everything. The "not
      knowing what you were doing" factor might simply be
      "you didn't know you were doing just what Bilis wanted
      you to do".

      > Although, it's completely possible that the
      > devise had an alternative purpose that the team
      > was unaware of, perhaps it wasn't
      > supposed to open the rift, but instead to use the
      > rift as like a time machine of sorts.... who knows

      Or perhaps its purpose (sort-term anyway) was to close
      the rift, rather than to open it. A machine to do
      what Gwyneth did so long ago.

      My argument that it is actually a time machine being
      designed by Jack comes from the notion that it looks
      like the TARDIS mechanism, and that we know Jack is
      growing a TARDIS on his desk. Perhaps the machine is
      only really viable when the TARDIS
      consciousness/organism/whatever is amalgamated with
      the machine.

      I suspect Jack is faking it, or at least experimenting
      to see how it works as he goes, but he knows the
      dangers in what he is doing and Owen does not.

      namaste,
      Elizabeth