torchwood/barrowman article round up

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2009
      TV Reviews
      Torchwood: Children of Earth - BBC One Monday,
      July 6 - Friday, July 10 9pm-10pm
      09:46 - 01 July 2009
      JOHN Barrowman returns as Captain Jack Harkness
      in a new five-part series of the sassy sci-fi drama, Torchwood.

      Captain Jack is joined by his loyal companions,
      Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles) and Ianto Jones (Gareth David-Lloyd)

      Entitled, Children of Earth the new series sees
      the alien fighting taskforce prompted into action
      after every single child in the world stops.

      A haunting message is then sent to the
      governments of Earth saying: 'We are coming'.

      With Captain Jack and his team being forced
      underground by the UK government, events escalate
      to such a degree that mankind faces extinction.

      source:
      <http://www.saffronwaldenreporter.co.uk/content/cambs24/entertainment/story.aspx?brand=Cambs24&category=--WhatsonReviewTV&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=entertainmentALL&itemid=WEED01%20Jul%202009%2009%3A48%3A22%3A400>http://www.saffronwaldenreporter.co.uk/content/cambs24/entertainment/story.aspx?brand=Cambs24&category=--WhatsonReviewTV&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=entertainmentALL&itemid=WEED01%20Jul%202009%2009%3A48%3A22%3A400

      ----------

      BBC America Comic Con 2009 Schedule

      Doctor Who - Planet of the Dead

      For those of you attending Comic Con later this
      month, I thought you might be interested to know
      that some of BBC America's shows will have
      panels, including Doctor Who, Torchwood, Being Human, and The Mighty Boosh.

      Check out the BBC AMERICA Comic-Con Panel and Signing Schedule below:

      Friday, July 24

      4:45-5:45pm The Mighty Boosh: creators-stars
      Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding along with
      actors Michael Fielding, Rich Fulcher and Dave
      Brown will be on stage to discuss the magical,
      bizarre and exciting world of The Boosh,
      currently airing on Adult Swim and released on
      DVD by the BBC two days before the convention
      begins. The San Jose Mercury News describes the
      show as "an acid-trip fantasy-comedy [that] is
      seriously deranged and seriously funny." Room 6A

      3:30-4:30pm The Mighty Boosh signing in the Autograph Area.

      Saturday, July 25

      3:00-4:00pm Being Human: creator Toby Whithouse
      and actors Russell Tovey, Lenora Crichlow and
      Aidan Turner signing at the BBC AMERICA booth (#3629).

      7:30-10:00pm Torchwood/Doctor Who: Key talent
      from both shows introduce the last episode of the
      five part series Torchwood: Children of Earth and
      an advance viewing of Doctor Who: Planet of the
      Dead, the first of four specials starring David Tennant. Room 6A

      Sunday, July 26

      10:00-11:00am Doctor Who: actor David Tennant,
      writer/executive producer Russell T Davies,
      director Euros Lyn and executive producer Julie
      Gardner discuss their creative process and
      experiences working on BBC AMERICA's Doctor Who
      with exclusive clips and a Q&A session. Ballroom 20

      2:15-3:45pm Being Human/Torchwood: Being Human
      creator Toby Whithouse and cast members Russell
      Tovey, Lenora Crichlow and Aidan Turner, are on
      stage to give an inside look at BBC AMERICA's
      U.S. premiere sci-fi drama about the lives of
      three twenty-somethings and their secret
      double-lives - as a werewolf, a vampire and a
      ghost. Following that actor John Barrowman,
      creator/writer/executive producer Russell T
      Davies, executive producer Julie Gardner and
      director Euros Lyn talk about the making of the
      epic five-night television event Torchwood:
      Children of Earth as well as take questions from the fans. Room 6BCF

      source:
      <http://www.daemonstv.com/2009/07/01/bbc-america-comic-con-2009-schedule/>http://www.daemonstv.com/2009/07/01/bbc-america-comic-con-2009-schedule/

      ----------

      Exclusive - Torchwood's Ianto speaks!

      Wednesday, July 1 2009, 9:04am EDT

      By Neil Wilkes, Editor
      After two series spent as the fifth fiddle, Ianto
      Jones has now been upgraded to third fiddle in the Torchwood team.

      This series Ianto is called upon more than ever
      before in the face of Torchwood's greatest threat
      to date. How does he cope with events? And what's
      the latest with Ianto and Jack? We caught up with
      the very softly-spoken Gareth David-Lloyd to find
      out. (Suggestion: turn your volume up)
      []

      direct link to video:
      <http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid20170988001?bctid=25018448001>http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid20170988001?bctid=25018448001
      source:
      <http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a162570/exclusive-torchwoods-ianto-speaks.html>http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a162570/exclusive-torchwoods-ianto-speaks.html

      ----------

      []
      John Barrowman reveals Torchwood's new secrets
      Jun 30, 2009

      John Barrowman returns as Captain Jack Harkness
      in five new episodes of Torchwood to be shown
      over one week. Here he tells What's On TV what we
      can expect in the latest adventure, Children Of Earth...

      Can you set the scene for the first episode?
      "I don't want to give too much away. But
      Torchwood is confronted with an awful situation -
      children are stopping in their tracks all over
      the world, making freaky noises. The frozen
      children start chanting 'We are coming' in unison
      and it's Torchwood's job to find out what's going
      on. The childrens' parents are beside themselves
      of course and it becomes us-and-them situation with the government."

      How is this series different from previous series of Torchwood?
      "For series one we were a newborn learning to
      crawl, in the second we were walking, but in this
      third series we're running. We've really found
      our feet. We still have the alien intervention,
      but we're more of a thriller drama and a lot darker."

      The time we see a side to Jack that we hadn't been aware of before…
      "That's right. Jack has a daughter and a
      grandson. That's really all I can say as it adds
      more depth to Jack and makes his decisions feel more weighty."

      Bearing in mind Jack is a sci-fi character that
      can't die - how does it affect him meeting his daughter and grandson?
      "One thing we know about Jack from previous
      episodes is that he watched his wife die. He
      watches people he loves get taken from him and
      that's really hard for him. Gwen has given him a
      reason to go on. But no one wants to outlive
      their children, do they? So to play the scene
      with my daughter was great, but I've had other
      stories where Jack's met people that have aged when he hasn't."

      Did you play Jack any differently this time?
      "No. I'm not one of those actors who mulls over
      things. I'm a huge science fiction fan anyway, so
      it's easy for me to escape into a fantasy role in
      any way that's needed. When I put on that coat and boots I'm Jack, not John."

      Is there a ruthless side to Jack?
      "Absolutely! I've said this from day one, the
      wonderful thing is that Jack is so determined,
      ruthless and focused. His objective is to save
      the planet. So if there's an evil alien inside
      you, I would shoot you. Gwen makes him see the
      other side - for example if a human has been
      taken over by an alien, she wants him to remember that."

      How did you feel when you read that the beloved Torchwood base gets blown up?
      "I really wanted to turn the page of my script to
      see what happens! But I can't tell you the secret behind it."

      There were only three members of Torchwood this
      time - was that strange for you?
      "With just three of us it's a new look at the
      team and that's exciting, but we do miss the
      others - Tosh and Owen - who died in the last series."

      Is this your dream job?
      "I love what I do, I get a thrill out of it. It's
      being a little boy living out his fantasy dream.
      This year my family will be over from the US
      watching it with me - that's what it is - family
      event television. I'm so excited."

      Do you like Jack's outfits?
      "I love them and have my own Captain Jack outfit
      that I wear around Cardiff. I'm not kidding!"

      Being only five episodes long, has this series
      given you more time for other projects?
      "Not really. Last year I got offered two series
      for American shows, but I turned them down
      because of my commitments here. It's gone to five
      because it has to make an impact on BBC1. It has
      to be an event. We're so happy with this, it's a brilliant piece of TV.

      Torchwood will be shown on BBC1 every evening at
      9pm from Monday July 6 until Friday July 10.

      source:
      <http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/drama/torchwood-2009/interviews/john-barrowman-reveals-torchwoods-new-secrets/6181>http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/drama/torchwood-2009/interviews/john-barrowman-reveals-torchwoods-new-secrets/6181

      ----------

      []
      John Barrowman talks Torchwood: Children of Earth
      and why the it may not be over (new video)
      July 1, 5:34 PM

      John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness

      The long awaited return of Torchwood will be over
      when Torchwood: Children of Earth airs on BBC
      America in a five-episode mini-season. John
      Barrowman, who plays Capt. Jack Harkness,
      promises it will be worth the wait when the
      series returns on July 20 for five consecutive
      nights. And word is, if it does well, we could expect more.

      "The story, without giving any inkling of what
      happened, the story is incredible," Barrowman
      said. "It's darker. It's filled with a lot more
      action. There's revelations about Jack that are
      just going to make people, ... let's say, ...
      crap themselves because they're so shocking.
      There's things that happen to each and every one
      of the team that will just blow your mind. It is
      a huge, big roller coaster, and there's one thing
      ... [producer] Russell [T. Davies] said this the
      other day in the panel, so I'm not saying, I
      think, anything that is out of line. But he said,
      'It shows you how things in our life can be
      disposable.' And he's not just talking about
      trash. He's talking about individuals."

      In the first episode, all the children on the
      Earth suddenly stop. Torchwood soon discovers an
      alien threat is behind it all. Captain Jack
      Harkness (John Barrowman), Gwen Cooper (Eve
      Myles), Ianto Jones (Gareth David-Lloyd), Rhys
      (Kai Owen) and PC Andy (Tom Price) all return for
      the third season. Torchwood: Children of Earth
      will be the first series on BBC America to be simulcast in HD.

      But will there be more Torchwood?

      Barrowman said, "That could happen. In fact, I
      had a discussion the other day with Russell. We
      were doing a panel, ... showed the first episode
      at the National Film Theater here in London with
      an audience of viewers and what we call punters,
      and we did a panel question thing afterwards. One
      of the things we came up with, we said, "If this
      does well, we could come back for [season] four,"
      which I would love and hope that we do. I
      said-and as Russell said-it could be two events,
      three events, but done in what we find the
      stories work over this five-day period as a
      one-off thing, but we could do maybe two events
      or three. So then you would get the full amount of episodes."

      This is great news to me and all other who love Torchwood. Give us lots more!
      []

      Following is a new extended trailer for the mini-series.

      direct link to video:
      <http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/262/torchwood-video.jsp?bclid=24196539001>http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/262/torchwood-video.jsp?bclid=24196539001

      source:
      <http://www.examiner.com/x-5903-Orlando-SciFi-Examiner~y2009m7d1-John-Barrowman-talks-Torchwood-Children-of-Earth-and-why-the-it-may-not-be-over-new-video>http://www.examiner.com/x-5903-Orlando-SciFi-Examiner~y2009m7d1-John-Barrowman-talks-Torchwood-Children-of-Earth-and-why-the-it-may-not-be-over-new-video

      ----------

      Eve on Torchwood Gwen's fast life

      1 day ago

      Torchwood beauty Eve Myles has said her character
      Gwen has no time to stop and think in the new action-packed five-part series.

      The Welsh actress, who stars alongside John
      Barrowman in the hit sci-fi drama, said her
      character Gwen faces "life and death every minute of the day".

      She said: "She's constantly evolving in this and
      there is no time to have second thoughts, it moves so quickly."

      She continued: "She's a massive decision maker
      this year and the first decision is the one she
      always goes with because there's no time for a
      plan b, c or d, it's plan a and she goes for it."

      Eve added that she would love for the show to
      have another series but its future depends on the
      success of the upcoming shows.

      "I would love to be able to say 'Yes I've been
      booked for 55 years,' but I have no idea. We've
      got amazing fans and people who support and
      follow it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed."

      :: Torchwood: Children Of Earth, a new five-part
      series for BBC runs every night next week starting Monday at 9pm.

      Copyright © 2009 The Press Association.

      source:
      <http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iBxwiD_y9IsdaeBH5QMK85KcazYw>http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iBxwiD_y9IsdaeBH5QMK85KcazYw

      ----------

      Young actress's excitement over Torchwood role
      Thursday, July 02, 2009, 12:46

      IT'S not every day that a seven-year-old girl
      gets caught up in an alien invasion.

      But that's exactly what happened to Gorseinon
      schoolgirl Aimee Davies when she was snapped up to appear in Torchwood.

      The latest run of Swansea writer Russell T
      Davies's smash-hit sci-fi series will be shown
      over five consecutive nights next week.

      And Aimee, who attends Gorseinon Infants School,
      will be seen in all five of them.

      She plays Mica Davies, the niece of regular
      series character Ianto Jones, filming her scenes
      with actor Gareth Lloyd Jones, who plays Ianto,
      and Eve Myles, from Ystradgynlais, who plays Gwen Cooper.

      Aimee is a member of the Mark Jermin Stage
      School. Her mum Sarah Davies said she would be
      allowed to watch it. "If I see anything I think
      is unsuitable, I will switch it over quickly,"
      said Sarah. "But Aimee does know it's all
      make-believe, and it does look such an amazing story."

      source:
      <http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Young-actress-s-excitement-Torchwood-role/article-1131665-detail/article.html>http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Young-actress-s-excitement-Torchwood-role/article-1131665-detail/article.html

      ----------

      []
      Torchwood coming to Comic-Con
      July 2, 9:36 AM

      The Torchwood universe spans DVDs, CDs, and
      books. Photo by Karen Sweeny-Justice.

      Two years ago, BBC television introduced
      Torchwood to a not-quite filled room at
      Comic-Con. That panel event introduced the show
      -- a spin-off from the popular Doctor Who series
      -- and featured the writers, who showed clips of
      the soon-to-air in the United States sci-fi
      program. This year, Comic-Con attendees can
      attend a panel discussion that features John
      Barrowman, star of the hit show. Other panelists
      include writer/producer Russell T. Davies,
      executive producer Julie Gardner and director Euros Lyn.

      The Torchwood panel discussion will be on July 26
      at 2:15 p.m. It comes on the heels of the airing
      of the third -- abbreviated -- season of
      Torchwood on BBCAmerica. The five-night
      event/mini-series airs the week of Comic-Con. (Check local listings.)

      Barrowman has gone on record that he felt that
      the BBC had short-changed Torchwood, one of its
      most popular series. The show moved from BBC3 to
      BBC2 and landed on BBC1 for the mini-series. In
      doing so, it went from a season of 13 episodes to
      the five that will air this month.

      "The five episodes, the mini-series as I call it,
      are incredible - I have no doubt about that - but
      personally, I felt like we were being punished,"
      Barrowman told The Radio Times, a BBC magazine.
      "Other shows move from BBC3 and 2 to 1, and they
      don't get cut. So why are we? It felt like every
      time we moved we had to prove ourselves."

      While it might have changed channels in the
      United Kingdom, Torchwood has successfully made
      the transition to DVD, has spun off a series of
      BBC Books, has a soundtrack CD, and is now being
      done as a series of radio plays.

      source:
      <http://www.examiner.com/x-14897-ComicCon-Examiner~y2009m7d2-Torchwood-coming-to-ComicCon>http://www.examiner.com/x-14897-ComicCon-Examiner~y2009m7d2-Torchwood-coming-to-ComicCon

      ----------

      []
      Celebrity gossip by Sam Peeps

      John Barrowman

      Torchwood star John Barrowman is due to return to
      our TV screens shortly, but when it comes to
      learning his lines, he has simple way of doing it...

      He told me: "I don't read it way ahead. I read
      it, I learn the lines and we do it. In the
      read-through I usually am reading it for the first time."

      That's either acting John, or just being plain
      lazy. Get your homework done, and learn those lines!

      source:
      <http://www.teletext.co.uk/entertainment/showbiz-spy/c9e65d45111313e212644dedaaeb19ee/Celebrity+gossip+by+Sam+Peeps.aspx>http://www.teletext.co.uk/entertainment/showbiz-spy/c9e65d45111313e212644dedaaeb19ee/Celebrity+gossip+by+Sam+Peeps.aspx

      ----------

      Exclusive - Torchwood's Gwen speaks!

      Thursday, July 2 2009, 9:47am EDT

      By Neil Wilkes, Editor
      On the penultimate day of Torchwood Week, we
      catch up with the delightful Eve Myles to get her
      take on the events of Children Of Earth.

      This series Gwen is forced to step up to the
      plate and take control after a devastating event
      rocks her world. She also has a very large
      personal revelation to contend with - and an
      awful lot of running to do. Click 'play' below to see:

      direct link to video:
      <http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid20170988001?bctid=24889817001>http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid20170988001?bctid=24889817001

      Additional reporting by Chris Allen

      source:
      <http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a162573/exclusive-torchwoods-gwen-speaks.html>http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a162573/exclusive-torchwoods-gwen-speaks.html

      ----------

      []

      Torchwood star to open summer fete

      8:40am Friday 3rd July 2009

      ACTOR John Barrowman will officially open Sully
      School's Summer Fete this Saturday (July 4).

      The 42-year-old star, who plays Captain Jack
      Harkness in BBC sci-fi hit Torchwood, will get
      proceedings underway at the school on Burnham Avenue, from 2pm.

      Mr Barrowman recently bought a home in the
      village, following repeated visits to south Wales for filming.

      Fete organiser Chris Fletcher says he was
      pleasantly surprised to secure such a big name.

      "It's great of John Barrowman to come and open the fete," he said.

      "I've seen him in Sully a few times so thought
      I'd be cheeky and put a note through his front door.

      "I was quite shocked when his agent called saying
      he'd be delighted to get involved!"

      The fete will have a red, blue and white theme as
      it takes place on American Independence Day.
      There will be music, displays from South Wales
      Fire and Rescue, vintage bus rides, tug-of-war,
      raffle and barbecue and other fair favourites. Entry is 50p.

      source:
      <http://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/news/latestnews/4468862.Torchwood_star_to_open_summer_fete/>http://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/news/latestnews/4468862.Torchwood_star_to_open_summer_fete/

      ----------

      Torchwood Week: Square Eyes Special Preview
      By Mark Wright on July 2, 2009 4:41 PM
      []

      Torchwood: Children of Earth - Day One

      I've had a somewhat uneven history with
      Torchwood. The first season, broadcast in 2006,
      didn't do much for me. It started well enough,
      but within a few episodes had descended into a
      juvenile mess that really didn't become the
      pedigree of the people making it. Cyberwoman
      still ranks as one of my most hated 45 minutes of
      drama ever made (which makes me feel bad now,
      with writer Chris Chibnall doing some sterling
      work on the recently recommissioned Law and
      Order: UK). I think it was a problem with
      identity, and early Torchwood was trying on different hats to see what fit.

      By the end of the first season, things had
      settled down somewhat, with the final two
      episodes of the season showing some of the promise that was to come.

      Season two was a stellar leap forward in terms of
      style and consistency. The tone was less forced
      and the writers knew the characters better. There
      was less emphasis on bolting on self-conscious
      adult content and it got on with telling good
      stories - Owen's journey throughout the season
      being particularly well thought out. There were
      some stumbles, but nothing's perfect, and this
      season finished with a brace of episodes that
      were action-packed and shocking in places - even
      if the lad playing Jack's brother had more wood than Epping Forest.

      And now we come to Children of Earth, effectively
      being Torchwood's coming of age - it's in the big
      league now, playing out on BBC1 over five nights.
      Many Torchwood fans are seeing this as a slight
      to the show, some kind of punishment and that
      it's a sure sign of the BBC wanting to kill it
      off. Which is, obviously, nonsense (although star
      John Barrowman takes a different view).

      Children of Earth: Day One, is a calm,
      considered, intelligently played and chilling
      piece of drama that sets up things for coming
      four episodes. It helps that this marks Russell T
      Davies's return to Torchwood, a series he
      created, as scriptwriter for the first time since
      Everything Changes. And it shows…

      On Doctor Who, Davies is often forced to play to
      the crowd, sometimes keeping Doctor Who's legacy
      in mind, and that, personally speaking, sometimes
      takes away the subtlety that his writing can so
      effortlessly deliver. With Children of Earth,
      after nearly five years' marathon running on
      Doctor Who (read The Writer's Tale, and you'll
      wonder how the man is still standing), he is
      clearly delighting in the gear change. There's no
      plot to resolve in 45 minutes or less here,
      there's another four episodes to follow. If
      anything, the sometimes-sedate pace of the first
      50 minutes or so might work against it.

      But after 26 episodes of Torchwood that ran at
      break neck speed, this is lovely stuff. This
      first episode is full of great character moments
      as the central mystery is established - just why
      did children all across the earth just stop -
      literally stop - between 8.40 and 8.41 (British
      time)? Who are the 456? Are Ianto and Jack an
      item? There's a great little scene between Gwen
      and Dr Rupesh, a character who is slowly being
      drawn into Torchwood's world, about how suicide
      rates have doubled since the first contact with
      aliens. It's as poetic a piece of writing as
      we've had from Davies in anything he's written.

      The action switches between Cardiff and London,
      as it becomes clear that somebody in Westminster
      knows more about why the children are being
      affected and why they're now chanting "We are
      coming" in spooky unison. But take a moment to
      readjust to seeing Peter Capaldi (brilliant as
      civil servant John Frobisher) against a political
      backdrop without a tirade of creative swearing. I
      swear he walks up the same flight of stairs that
      Malcolm Tucker does in In the Loop.

      There's a very tasty cast here - Capaldi,
      Nicholas Farrell, Lucy Cohu, amongst others. But
      it's Paul Copley (surely one of our most
      underrated actors) as Clement McDonald who steals
      the show, with a delightfully twitchy performance
      - again, a scene with Gwen is one of the highlights of the episode.

      And then, after all this layering, all this set
      up, the pace ups dramatically - with the gunshot
      that starts it practically acting like a starting
      pistol. As the credits run, you're left blinking
      at the breakneck speed in which the last 10
      minutes unfolds, ending with a cliffhanger that
      ensures you'll be back the following night.

      On the basis of this first episode, Torchwood:
      Children of Earth deserves to be a big success.
      It's an intelligent sci-fi drama with a good cast
      and an engaging story that is a million miles
      away from where this Doctor Who spin-off began. And not a Cyberwoman in sight.

      source:
      <http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/tvtoday/2009/07/torchwood-week-square-eyes-special-preview/>http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/tvtoday/2009/07/torchwood-week-square-eyes-special-preview/

      ----------

      []
      Kai: There has to be more Torchwood
      5 hours ago

      Kai Owen says the final episode of the new
      Torchwood mini-series is so "phenomenal" there
      has to be another round of the programme.

      The Welsh actor, who plays Gwen's love interest
      Rhys, said the cast are just waiting for the go-ahead.

      "Waiting for the nod, hopefully it will be
      happening - nothing has been confirmed yet but
      I'd do it forever, it's a brilliant job," he said.

      Kai continued: "I mean, it gets better after that
      first episode as well, it makes you want to watch
      the other four and they get better and better and
      better, episode five is so phenomenal, so it's got to happen again."

      Talking about the new series, which airs next
      week, he said: "It was just lovely to work on one
      big storyline all the way through it.

      "I loved that part about it really, because we
      all knew what was happening and we were all
      excited to see how it was gonna end because we knew it was all gonna tie in."

      :: Torchwood: Children Of Earth, a new five-part
      series for the BBC, runs every night next week starting on Monday at 9pm.

      Copyright © 2009 The Press Association.

      source:
      <http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iVQMeGaTcANMKgXwlHJr6-56mfQg>http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iVQMeGaTcANMKgXwlHJr6-56mfQg

      ----------

      []
      Young Barry star Luke (12) takes feature role in new series of BBC's Torchwood
      Friday, 03 July 2009
      1 2 Next

      REPORT by TIM CHAPMAN

      ONE of the most eagerly-anticipated television
      events of this summer is the latest BBC series of
      Torchwood, a five-part story on successive
      evenings starting on July 6 - and one of the stars is a youngster from Barry!

      Luke Perry, aged 12, a pupil at Ysgol Gyfun Bro
      Morgannwg, was already an experienced performer
      by the time he landed the role of David in Torchwood: Children of the Earth.

      Luke told The GEM: "I started getting involved in
      amateur dramatics when I was six years old.

      "At the age of seven, I joined Anita's Theatre
      School and then, because my mother Lisa belonged
      to the adult section of Billboard Ensemble
      Theatre Group, I decided to audition for the junior section and was accepted."

      Luke's big break came when he appeared as the
      body double of the ‘Empty Child' in Dr Who.

      "I was then taken on at The Workshop run by the
      Cardiff agent Peter Wooldridge and since then
      I've appeared in theatre and TV productions."

      In a stage production of Peter Pan, he played the
      part of Michael Darling, acting alongside Paul
      Nicholas who took the role of Captain Hook; and
      in A Christmas Carol, swift costume changes
      enabled him to play four children's parts opposite Ron Moody.

      Until Torchwood, his most prominent TV part was
      as the son of a farmer in an episode of Casualty.

      Torchwood is one of the BBC's most successful
      shows in recent years and has quickly acquired a cult following.

      So how did he land his latest role?

      "I was chosen at an audition last summer. In
      August I had my first read through - Russell T
      Davies, the producer walked in, then John Barrowman, and then Eve Myles!

      "I was very nervous. I even had to read a second
      part on top of my own because one boy hadn't turned up to the read through.

      "In Children of Earth, David is Ianto's nephew,
      and I appear in each of the five episodes.

      "I acted with Eve Myles more than John Barrowman,
      and she was great - so nice and funny. The
      filming took nine days in and around Cardiff, some of it in a studio.

      "At the end of filming, I was even invited to the
      wrap-up party at John Barrowman's house!"

      Luke's enthusiasm for performing is stronger than ever.

      "In the future, I'd like to do a comedy. One of
      my favourite actors is Lee Evans."

      For Luke's mum Lisa, his acting ambitions have
      meant quite a bit of running around.

      Lisa explained: "On Tuesday it's Billboard,
      Wednesday, The Acting Workshop, Thursday, singing
      lessons, and Friday, The Lorri Guppy School of
      Dance, so it's hard work for a parent!

      "Luke and Jay Ruckley (Luke's friend who stars in
      BBC's Grandpa in My Pocket) are proof that
      youngsters from south Wales can make it into
      productions on national television.

      "One of the nice things about Torchwood was that
      a lot of the stars speak Welsh, so Luke was able to talk to them in Welsh."

      Torchwood: Children of Earth starts on Monday, July 6 at 9pm on BBC1.

      source:
      <http://www.barry-today.co.uk/tn/news.cfm?id=26457&headline=Young%20Barry%20star%20Luke%20(12)%20takes%20feature%20role%20in%20new%20series%20of%20BBC%E2%80%99s%20Torchwood>http://www.barry-today.co.uk/tn/news.cfm?id=26457&headline=Young%20Barry%20star%20Luke%20(12)%20takes%20feature%20role%20in%20new%20series%20of%20BBC%E2%80%99s%20Torchwood

      ----------

      []

      Torchwood Week: John Barrowman
      By Scott Matthewman on July 3, 2009 1:31 PM

      John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness

      Torchwood week on TV Today

      And so Torchwood Week starts to draw to a close
      here on TV Today, with the last of our
      interviews. After yesterday's talk with Eve
      Myles, Wednesday's conversation with Gareth
      David-Lloyd and our two-part interview with
      Russell T Davies on Monday and Tuesday, we've
      saved the biggest, brashest player till last: John Barrowman.

      As before, expect some spoilers ahead. And, as
      before, the questioning took place a few weeks
      ago after the press screening of Children of
      Earth: Day One - hence why there are no questions
      about his comments to the Radio Times.

      So for readers coming fresh to Children of Earth, can you set the scene for us?

      I don't want to give too much away, but in
      episode 1 what you get is Torchwood confronted
      with a situation of children stopping in their
      tracks all over the world, making freaky noises.
      Torchwood is trying to work out what's going on.
      Normally, Torchwood would be working together
      with the government, although the government
      thinks that Torchwood is a pain in the ass.

      You've got this new kind of structure going on
      where the government aren't really helping with
      Torchwood. So it becomes about us and them. And
      then you've got the 456, who are an alien race
      named after the frequency they used to contact
      Earth in the 1960s. And the past is coming back to haunt.

      When you started work on this series, did you get
      a sense that it was a different show? It's quite
      a different set up to the previous seasons.

      Yes. In series one, we were like a newborn,
      learning to crawl. Series 2, we were learning to
      walk. And now, in Series 3, we're running. We've
      found our feet and what we're about. We still
      have the alien intervention, in a way. We're more
      of a thriller, and a lot darker, which is what
      Russell wanted Torchwood to be in the first place
      - but we tried different things and now we've finally landed, in a sense.

      But you've also got the family aspects that Captain Jack hasn't had before.

      Yeah. Which is nice. And it's how and where that
      goes. Jack has a daughter and a grandson, and
      that's really all I can say about that. It adds a
      whole new, it adds more depth to Jack and it
      makes his decisions feel more weighty.

      How early on in the process did you find out you
      were getting a daughter who looked your age, if not older?

      When I read the script. The one thing I don't
      interfere with is asking what we would like or
      how this would be done. I like to be surprised
      like the rest of us. And that's happened since
      I've been in Doctor Who, finding out that Jack's
      the Face of Boe, and things with Torchwood…
      That's what makes it exciting for me to go to
      work as an actor. When I read it, I go, "Right, how am I going to play this?"

      So I knew about it when that script landed in front of me.

      How do you go about playing those scenes with
      Jack and his daughter? Because it's an odd
      scenario. Do you visualise her as being much younger than you?

      No. I'm not one of those actors who mulls over
      things like that, I'll be totally honest with
      you. I get up and I do it. For me, it's easy to
      take myself out of who I am and go into this
      fantasy role and believe, because I'm a huge
      science fiction fan. Watching science fiction, I
      take myself out of reality and put myself into
      their reality. So it's very easy for me to do
      that. When I'm in that coat and in that outfit,
      I'm Jack. I don't think of myself os John. When I
      look at that guy on screen, I don't see John. I see Jack.

      And we've met people from Jack's past before,
      such as the fairy episode (Series 1's Small
      World) where we met a woman he was in a
      relationship with who was now in her eighties.
      But it's all about relationships, and for me they
      are easy to play. I've said this, even going back
      to musical theatre, you have to make yourself, or
      allow yourself, to fall in love with the person
      in order to have a relationship with them. And I find that quite easy to do.

      Bearing in mind that Jack is this larger than
      life sci-fi character who can never die, how does
      giving him a family change him?

      The obvious things. You know that his wife has
      died, he's watched her die. That's one thing you
      know about Jack from other episodes, that he
      watches people he loves go and that's really hard
      for him. His outlook has completely changed: in
      season 1, he wanted to die, as he had no reason
      for living - and Gwen showed him that. In season
      2, he was using his ability to help save the world.

      But no-one wants to outlive his children.

      As well as the bond between them, we also see a bit of Jack's ruthless side.

      Absolutely. That's Jack. I've said this from day
      one, and it's the wonderful thing that Russell
      has done, Jack is so determined with his
      objective and his focus. Even I talk about this
      often when we're together as Jack and Gwen, and
      we're looking at stuff. We've just done the
      Torchwood radio plays. We were reading it and
      something didn't work and we said, "Jack wouldn't
      say that, Gwen would say that and Jack would just
      barrel ahead." So we switched the lines.

      But yeah, he is focussed, he is ruthless. His
      objective is to save the planet, and if that
      means shooting you because you have an alien inside you, he'll shoot you.

      That's what Gwen is there for. Gwen is trying to
      make him see the other side, you know, for
      instance if it is a human being taken over by an
      alien. I mean, that was in Series 2's Sleeper.
      Jack just wanted to kill them, but Gwen was like,
      you've got to see the human side of this.

      And it turns out that they were just going to
      destroy people and kill people, so we had to kill them.

      How does the team dynamic feel now that you've lost Naoko Mori and Burn Gorman?

      Eve, Gareth and I will always miss them. That's
      one thing we wanted to make sure in the show,
      that we have a little moment. Because they were
      there with us since day one, and they were part
      of of the beginning of Torchwood, and they'll
      always be part of Torchwood. Although they're not
      there physically, they are there in spirit. And
      they do get mentioned at times throughout. Just
      as at the end of the last series of Doctor Who,
      where it was Tosh who had created the time bubble
      to save Gwen and Ianto. So there are little bits like that all the time.

      It's kind of like a new start for Torchwood.

      It is a new start. It's a new look at the team.
      We're tighter, just the three of us. That's not
      to say that some others don't get involved.

      Do you like the fact that the Torchwood team is more vulnerable this series?

      Um. We don't know that yet, because you don't
      know what's yet to come. At the end of episode 1,
      yes, things happen. But put it this way, do you
      think that Jack has not stashed stuff? He might have, he might not…

      That's one of the interesting things to watch:
      where they go from that point. And I really don't
      want to say more, because it's exciting for the
      audience. You'll enjoy watching it. That's why I
      haven't watched the rest of the episodes yet.
      Obviously I filmed them, so I know what happens,
      but I want to wait until they air to watch them.

      I love sitting and watching. And like I said,
      these are characters that are heroes, and I love
      watching the show! I enjoy it. I totally detach
      myself. I'm not one of those actors who goes, "I
      can't watch myself." That's bullshit. Don't agree
      with it. Why are you doing it if you can't watch
      yourself? And it's not like any psychological
      thing. I know it's me, but I see him as Captain Jack. I can detach from it.

      Normally, what we've done in the past - and I
      have pictures of this in my book - I have
      everybody around and we watch on the big screen.
      Then when each of comes on screen, we take a
      picture of each other in front of the screen. So that's one thing.

      I absolutely love what I do, I get a real thrill
      out of it. It's being the little boy, living his
      little fantasy dream. But this year, I will be in
      Wales watching it on television.

      So you will be having a party all five nights?

      We might! My family will be there this time
      because they are coming over from the States. So
      we're going to sit down and make it what it is: a
      family event television. Although we don't have
      any kids in the family any more - they're all old enough to watch it.

      So not to labour the point, but does that mean
      you stay away from seeing rushes and things like that?

      I don't see rushes. I don't think there's a need.
      You know, Russell's the producer and writer. We
      hire editors and directors. They're doing their
      job. As an actor you should trust in those
      people, and know that they are doing their job
      brilliantly. I know that they wouldn't hire
      anybody crap. So why do I need to see rushes?

      That's not a flippant answer, that's good sense.

      I like to sit and watch it as someone to be
      entertained by it. I think it's awesome. It moves
      like lightning. There's a lot of information to
      give the viewer, especially those who are going
      to join us for the first time on BBC1.

      There are rumours that you've been filming some
      scenes for David Tennant's final episodes of Doctor Who.

      Why would you ask that? [smiles]

      There have been photos.

      I have a confession: I have my own Captain Jack
      outfit and I wear it around Cardiff. You think
      I'm lying? I think they caught me coming out of Tesco and running to the car…

      Coming back to Torchwood. Was the shooting
      schedule different as a result of the five-episode storyline?

      It wasn't as long, it was tighter. A lot of us
      had busy schedules - Eve, Gareth and I are all
      doing other things so we had to work around that.
      And we had other cast members, so they were able
      to film scenes with other characters while we
      were finishing up what we were doing. So yeah, it was a bit different.

      Did you film episode by episode?

      No, it was all completely out of sequence. One
      day we might film something from episode 5, then
      unique for us as actors, because normally we film
      each episode and then move to the next. So we
      were learning as we went. Euros Lyn, our
      director, was great. Also, our continuity woman
      helped. We would say, "Right, where are we? Where
      have we come from, where are we going?" On a
      daily basis, you job as an actor is to know the
      lines you have in the scenes coming up, but you
      sometimes don't have the knowledge of what's just happened.

      So how would you like the series to progress from here?

      Again, I don't think of those things. I'll leave
      that up to the writers. If we do come back for a
      fourth series, I'd like to see more episodes, though.

      So with the reduced filming schedule this year,
      has that opened up your diary for other work?

      Yes and no. If we did a series 4, we'd have to
      start pencilling it in right away because of
      other things I've got to do. Last year, BBC
      America offered me two series for American
      television, and I turned them down because of my
      commitments here. And I've always said that I
      would come back here. So yes it does open
      everything up, but that's not why we have a
      shorter series this time. It's not because of me!

      At the launch of series 2, you seemed a bit
      battered by the rigours of the production
      schedule. Did that have any bearing on the reduced length?

      Yeah, I was, but that wasn't the reason. We
      needed to make an impact on BBC1, we have to have
      an event to bring that BBC1 audience in, although
      we're bringing the audience we already have
      along. That's why I think it was done, but that's
      a question you'll have to direct to other people and not to myself.

      But we're so happy with this. It's going to be a
      brilliant piece of television, and it works. But
      if there's a future for Torchwood, I'd just like more! Who wouldn't?
      []

      source:
      <http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/tvtoday/2009/07/torchwood-week-john-barrowman/>http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/tvtoday/2009/07/torchwood-week-john-barrowman/