Re: [torchwood] The Joke of Comic Con

  • KT
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 23, 2009
      Actually a couple clarifications.

      Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March. Hotel rooms for Comic Con are harder to get than tickets (as in by the beginning of April it is difficult to get a hotel reservation closer than El Cajon for those 3 days). The three day passes sell out within a month or two. It isn't until late May or June, when all the additional attendees have been advanced, that the single day tickets sell out. Yes the lines for the different rooms are freaking annoying. But the bottom line is no matter what the faults are San Diego Comic Con is an event experience that should not be missed.

      Be Well,
      Katie

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 23, 2009
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

        > Actually a couple clarifications.
        >
        > Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March.

        Uh...no. At least for the past few years, that definitely hasn't been the case. My online registration for 2009 is dated 8/19/2008. I'm pretty sure I registered shortly after they went on sale. By March this year, all of the 4-day passes were gone, and very few Saturday one-day passes were left.

        You can also pre-register at the con itself for the following year.

        Lynn
      • Vyolet
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
          Firstly, the talent/celebrities that appear on panels at Comic Con are asked by the studios and networks. They are not required nor obligated to make an appearance and can back out at any time. Their flights, hotel, and in some cases, meals, are paid for by the network or studio that they are doing promotions for, but they are not usually paid. And from what I have heard, there are some that have a cool experience and come back again willingly.

          In some cases, a promoter might entice a celeb/talent to come to their booth and sign autographs, but then a fee is charged for autographs. If you are being a charged a fee, then those celebs are being paid.

          It is true that you can pre-register on site at Comic Con for the next year, but online sales for Comic Con open up either in February or March. The four day passes were sold out by the middle of March this year. I may have to pre-reg on site this year for 2010.

          I have been attending since 1997 and have gone every year except for 1999. As this convention has evolved and grown I have adapted and I always have a great time. I love when I discover or get clued in to something new. After the announcement that David Tennant was made last week I received a couple of emails from friends who were asking if I was going to be attending because they tried to get tix and discovered it's sold out. My response was that of course it's sold out. And then I got a request from someone asking that if they can manage to get a ticket, if they could room with me? And I had to respond that no, they could not, because my hotel room is already full with 4 people. The four of us were on top of this ages ago.

          So if anyone is thinking that they would like to attend in 2010, I would say that now is the time to start your planning and be decided by the end of 2009.

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Actually a couple clarifications.
          > >
          > > Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March.
          >
          > Uh...no. At least for the past few years, that definitely hasn't been the case. My online registration for 2009 is dated 8/19/2008. I'm pretty sure I registered shortly after they went on sale. By March this year, all of the 4-day passes were gone, and very few Saturday one-day passes were left.
          >
          > You can also pre-register at the con itself for the following year.
          >
          > Lynn

        • Vyolet
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
            Ok, my BAD! I misread what you wrote, Lynn, and thought you wrote "...My onsite registration for 2009..." so I have to apologize.

            I recall being notified by a friend in February about getting passes, so that's why I was thinking that's when they went on sale.
          • Creatch
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
              Vyolet,

              Thanks really for so much information about the ins and outs of SDCC. I
              just started attending Dragon Con which is the only East coast con remotely
              like SDCC (though 1/5 the size) and I love the gazillion people, the myriad
              of fandoms and interests, and the total craziness. As a con veteran, I'm
              used to queuing for frakin' ever for everything from panels to bottled
              water. I also realize that if you really want to have some face time with
              John, Gareth, David, whomever, you're not only going to wait in line but pay
              big bucks for the privilege.

              I'm glad for the heads up about booking rooms and registering. One
              question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?

              Creatch
              SDCC newbie

              Firstly, the talent/celebrities that appear on panels at Comic Con are asked
              by the studios and networks. They are not required nor obligated to make an
              appearance and can back out at any time. Their flights, hotel, and in some
              cases, meals, are paid for by the network or studio that they are doing
              promotions for, but they are not usually paid. And from what I have heard,
              there are some that have a cool experience and come back again willingly.

              In some cases, a promoter might entice a celeb/talent to come to their booth
              and sign autographs, but then a fee is charged for autographs. If you are
              being a charged a fee, then those celebs are being paid.

              It is true that you can pre-register on site at Comic Con for the next year,
              but online sales for Comic Con open up either in February or March. The four
              day passes were sold out by the middle of March this year. I may have to
              pre-reg on site this year for 2010.

              I have been attending since 1997 and have gone every year except for 1999.
              As this convention has evolved and grown I have adapted and I always have a
              great time. I love when I discover or get clued in to something new. After
              the announcement that David Tennant was made last week I received a couple
              of emails from friends who were asking if I was going to be attending
              because they tried to get tix and discovered it's sold out. My response was
              that of course it's sold out. And then I got a request from someone asking
              that if they can manage to get a ticket, if they could room with me? And I
              had to respond that no, they could not, because my hotel room is already
              full with 4 people. The four of us were on top of this ages ago.

              So if anyone is thinking that they would like to attend in 2010, I would say
              that now is the time to start your planning and be decided by the end of
              2009.

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

              > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Actually a couple clarifications.
              > >
              > > Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March.
              >
              > Uh...no. At least for the past few years, that definitely hasn't been the
              case. My online registration for 2009 is dated 8/19/2008. I'm pretty sure
              I registered shortly after they went on sale. By March this year, all of
              the 4-day passes were gone, and very few Saturday one-day passes were left.

              > You can also pre-register at the con itself for the following year.
              >
              > Lynn

            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Creatch" <creatch829@...> wrote:

                > I'm glad for the heads up about booking rooms and registering. One
                > question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?
                >
                > Creatch
                > SDCC newbie

                The bayfront Marriott. Be prepared to pay ~$350 a night for the privilege. Most people settle for anywhere downtown (within 10-12 blocks of the convention center) that they can get for more reasonable prices. That includes the Omni, the Grand Hyatt, the Embassy Suites, either of the two Hiltons (Gaslamp or Bayfront) either of the two Westins, and the Horton Grand, among others. If it's in "blocks" from the convention center rather than "miles," that's where you want to be.

                (And just to be clear, passes go on sale online for the next year around August of the previous year. So if you want to go in 2010, start checking the CC web site in August of THIS year.)

                -Lynn
              • Creatch
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                  Lynn,

                  Muchas gracias! I really don't understand people whinging about attending
                  what seems like such a cool event. I hope to attend SDCC either 2010 or
                  2011..

                  Creatch

                  On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Lynn <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                  > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Creatch" <creatch829@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm glad for the heads up about booking rooms and registering. One
                  > > question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?
                  > >
                  > > Creatch
                  > > SDCC newbie
                  >
                  > The bayfront Marriott. Be prepared to pay ~$350 a night for the privilege.
                  > Most people settle for anywhere downtown (within 10-12 blocks of the
                  > convention center) that they can get for more reasonable prices. That
                  > includes the Omni, the Grand Hyatt, the Embassy Suites, either of the two
                  > Hiltons (Gaslamp or Bayfront) either of the two Westins, and the Horton
                  > Grand, among others. If it's in "blocks" from the convention center rather
                  > than "miles," that's where you want to be.
                  >
                  > (And just to be clear, passes go on sale online for the next year around
                  > August of the previous year. So if you want to go in 2010, start checking
                  > the CC web site in August of THIS year.)
                  >
                  > -Lynn

                • Craig J. Ries
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                    Creatch wrote:

                    > One question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?

                    Lynn gave a list of all the hotels that are right by the convention
                    center. However, if you don't mind a little bit of time on the bus
                    and/or trolley, you could look for hotels a bit out from the Convention
                    Center as well.

                    For example, for my 2nd SDCC, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sea World.
                    It's cheaper, isn't as hard to get a room, and it was only a 5 minute
                    bus ride to Old Town, where you can catch a trolley line (they usual run
                    a special line that weekend) straight to the convention.

                    The only place I don't recommend staying is along Hotel Circle. It's
                    just a bad location if you're relying on public transportation. And in
                    general, I just flat out don't recommend trying to drive to/from your
                    hotel to the convention center, as getting a parking spot is not easy.

                    Craig J. Ries
                  • PRATERAE@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 25, 2009
                      Perhaps because they've been and haven't enjoyed it? What one person
                      finds a great experience, another person finds overwhelming or too
                      large. We all have different ideas about what is a 'cool event'.

                      Ali

                      "Muchas gracias! I really don't understand people whinging about
                      attending
                      what seems like such a cool event. I hope to attend SDCC either 2010 or
                      2011.."

                      AOL Email goes Mobile! You can now read your AOL Emails whilst on the
                      move. Sign up for a free AOL Email account with unlimited storage today.
                    • Karel
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 1 4:43 AM
                        Just a reminder that today is the first TW radioplay, Asylum, on BBC4 radio!!

                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lg4c7

                        Check this link, though you might have to search a little for it. It start at 2:15 in UK, which I think is 9:15 on the east coast of the US. It's available for down load for seven days and the cds will be for sale later this month.

                        Two more radio plays to come, Thurs and Friday and Season 3 next week in the UK.

                        It's a Torchwood Summer!!!

                      • Karel
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 1 5:23 AM
                          Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load somewhere on the net.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 1 5:36 AM
                            IIRC, the BBC put Lost Souls up to download legally from them, it's just not standard practice with iPlayer.

                            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Karel" <jerseyjunior@...> wrote:

                            > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load somewhere on the net.

                          • Joni
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 1 8:02 AM
                              I'm in Canada and was able to download it from the BBC site.

                              Joni

                              2009/7/1 Karel <jerseyjunior@...>:

                              > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the
                              > initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from
                              > somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load
                              > somewhere on the net.
                            • Dorothy Burgess
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 1 8:19 AM
                                I’m in US and I downloaded it as well. I tried listening to it live and it kept cutting out.

                                2009/7/1 Karel <jerseyjunior@...<mailto:jerseyjunior%40comcast.net>>:

                                > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the
                                > initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from
                                > somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load
                                > somewhere on the net.

                              • Robert A. Rosenberg
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 1 12:59 PM
                                  At 12:36 +0000 on 07/01/2009, badblokebob wrote about [torchwood] Re:
                                  TW Radio Play today!!!:

                                  >IIRC, the BBC put Lost Souls up to download legally from them, it's
                                  >just not standard practice with iPlayer.

                                  Is it still accessible? If so, what is the URL or method of finding
                                  the download?

                                  Thank you.
                                • Karel
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 1 1:18 PM
                                    OK. It said on the BBC site UK only so I'm glad it all worked out. I had trouble with streaming and buffering trying to listen live so I think it will just be easier to down load it.

                                    2009/7/1 Karel <jerseyjunior@...>:

                                    > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the
                                    > initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from
                                    > somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load
                                    > somewhere on the net.

                                  • Robert A. Rosenberg
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 2 11:45 AM
                                      At 09:41 -0400 on 07/02/2009, pfyre wrote about Re: [torchwood] Re:
                                      TW Radio Play today!!!:

                                      >At 03:59 PM 7/1/2009, Robert A. Rosenberg, annotated:
                                      >
                                      >>At 12:36 +0000 on 07/01/2009, badblokebob wrote about [torchwood] Re:
                                      >>TW Radio Play today!!!:
                                      >>
                                      >>>IIRC, the BBC put Lost Souls up to download legally from them, it's
                                      >>>just not standard practice with iPlayer.
                                      >>
                                      >>Is it still accessible? If so, what is the URL or method of finding
                                      >>the download?
                                      >>
                                      >>Thank you.
                                      >>

                                      >goto:
                                      >< http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>
                                      >
                                      >as the plays are broadcast - they will become available for download

                                      Thanks for the reply. I know of that URL and have been downloading
                                      THIS WEEK's shows (which that link lists). My question is about a URL
                                      to download LAST YEAR's show (Lost Souls) which is not on that page.
                                      Is it still accessible or do I need to get it some other way (such as
                                      via BitTorrent)?

                                      Thank you.
                                    • badblokebob
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 2 3:17 PM

                                        > >goto:
                                        > >< http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>
                                        > >
                                        > >as the plays are broadcast - they will become available for download
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the reply. I know of that URL and have been downloading
                                        > THIS WEEK's shows (which that link lists). My question is about a URL
                                        > to download LAST YEAR's show (Lost Souls) which is not on that page.
                                        > Is it still accessible or do I need to get it some other way (such as
                                        > via BitTorrent)?

                                        Lost Souls is no longer available for free (legally) because it's been commercially released on CD (and through iTunes, etc, I believe).
                                      • Robert A. Rosenberg
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 2 8:36 PM
                                          At 22:17 +0000 on 07/02/2009, badblokebob wrote about [torchwood] Re:
                                          TW Radio Play today!!!:

                                          >> >goto:
                                          >> ><
                                          >><http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>
                                          >> >
                                          >> >as the plays are broadcast - they will become available for download
                                          >>
                                          >> Thanks for the reply. I know of that URL and have been downloading
                                          >> THIS WEEK's shows (which that link lists). My question is about a URL
                                          >> to download LAST YEAR's show (Lost Souls) which is not on that page.
                                          >> Is it still accessible or do I need to get it some other way (such as
                                          >> via BitTorrent)?
                                          >>

                                          >Lost Souls is no longer available for free (legally) because it's
                                          >been commercially released on CD (and through iTunes, etc, I
                                          >believe).

                                          Thanks. I'll go the iTunes route to get it.