The Joke of Comic Con

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 22, 2009
      I went to a Comic Con a long time ago for one day. It was very crowded and I actually bought a one day membership at the door. It was the year that "Mimic" came out. That does not appear to be possible any longer. This multi-media convention has become so large that the only way of actually getting an autograph means bumping into a star at a local Rubio's or fast food joint away from the San Diego Convention Center.

      Everybody thinks it so great to see David Tennant, Russell T. Davies or John Barrowman this year, but the convention has been totally sold out for months.

      The room they have the Doctor Who and Torchwood panels in can handle only so many people. Once the panels are over, they will go some place in the dealer rooms where they will sign a set number of autographs before writer's block sets in. Of course, many of the actors are going to charge some fee for their signature and glossy 8 x 10.

      In however many of the dealer rooms they have there, there will be other actor and actresses sitting at a table, signing autographs and posing for pics because they are starving thespians. Yes, they did a few horror pics where they have topless stills from or they played a Klingon on two Star Trek episodes. That has made them enduring to some people.

      This time next year, the 2010 Comic Con will be sold out. This is a very real scenario that in no way can be construed as based on fact.

      Matt Smith is going to be very big next year. His new stories will have aired in England and may have already aired here in the US on BBC America or SyFy Channel. An announcement will be that Matt Smith and Karen Gillan will appear together with John Simm and Kylie Minogue at the Doctor Who panel. Catherine Tate might even show up also. Billie Piper has not confirmed yet.

      Everybody sees this stellar lineup and their jaw drops to the floor. They have to go see all these people in person. They go to the website and it has been sold out since February 3, 2010. People in this group go on and on gushing about how great Comic Con has all these great Doctor Who guests.

      Like it or not, Comic Con is getting too big for its own good and people are being left in the lurch. All these guests and more are very likely. As soon as 2010 packages are on sale, buy them for yourself or you will be disappointed when you hear that Freema Agyeman was the hit of the weekend.

      You might see their talk from the nose bleed section of the room their talk is in, but you will get to see them live and in person. Or you can go to Rubio's and lay in wait as various stars walk by to go and get something to eat. The choice is yours.

      Enjoy what I said in its context. The big names at this con are getting bigger and bigger. If Matt Smith has not been booked already, the organizers must be working real hard at him to get him to answer his phone or open his door.

      One last thing:

      August 7th is the release date for GI Joe The Movie, a film you have been looking forward to being made ever since the date you got your first GI Joe doll that came equipped with its own missile launcher.

      There will be either a New York or Hollywood premiere for the film. As Christopher Eccleston (Claude from the show "Heroes", plays the head bad guy in the movie, he will very likely show up at either the New York or Hollywood premieres. bring your Doctor Who stuff because you stand a much better chance of getting his autograph at a Hollywood movie theater than you would in the madhouse they call the San Diego Comic Convention.

      Thanks,

      Dean L. Kaufman
      West Coast, USA
    • Savannah-Beth Brady
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 23, 2009
        Sorry but sounds to me like you might just be a bit jealous .. next time I suggest you like the rest of us buy a ticket months in advance ..

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 23, 2009
          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

          > Everybody thinks it so great to see David Tennant, Russell T. >Davies or John Barrowman this year, but the convention has been >totally sold out for months.

          Comic-con is what it is, and everyone pretty much knows it at this point. It's unspeakably huge, the hotel room prices are ridiculous, it's a 2 mile walk to anything and no guarantee you'll get inside any panel that you want.

          All of that and more is true. Everyone knows this. Yet every time I've been, something really cool manages to happen, too. It's up to each person to decide if the potential cool happenings are worth the expense and hassle.

          >An announcement will be that Matt Smith and Karen Gillan will appear >together with John Simm and Kylie Minogue at the Doctor Who panel. >Catherine Tate might even show up also. Billie Piper has not >confirmed yet.

          It's highly unlikely that you would ever see anyone other than the current stars at Comic-Con. Comic-Con is not a Doctor Who convention. The guests are brought over by the channel airing the show to promote the current episodes, not highlight guest stars who appeared in 3 episodes or less years ago. (And I can't imagine any scenario under which John Simm or Kylie Minogue would show up at Comic-Con anyway. At least not for Doctor Who.)

          > Like it or not, Comic Con is getting too big for its own good and >people are being left in the lurch.

          The whole point of the con selling out is to keep it from becoming any bigger. They just started this a couple of years ago. You're trying to have it both ways. You can't really argue on the one hand, it's a "joke" that the con sells out early, and on the other that it's becoming too big. The point of limiting the number of passes for sale is to keep it from becoming any bigger.

          The bottom line is that if you even think you might want to go to Comic-Con, you need to buy a pass when they go on sale. You have up until about 5 weeks prior to request a full refund if you decide not to go.

          > Enjoy what I said in its context. The big names at this con are
          > getting bigger and bigger.

          This is not news. And the biggest names of the con, I'm afraid, have nothing to do with Doctor Who (or Torchwood).

          >If Matt Smith has not been booked already, the organizers must be >working real hard at him to get him to answer his phone or open his >door.

          No, really, they aren't. If Matt Smith comes next year, it will be because either BBCA or Sci-Fi decided to bring him. The con organizers will have nothing to do with it. This is the essential difference between Comic-Con and a con like, say, Gallifrey. It's why stars like Hugh Jackman and the entire casts of TV shows come -- because it's part of their promotional duties. It's also why the con has grown larger and larger over the years.

          -Lynn
        • Craig J. Ries
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 23, 2009
            Savannah-Beth Brady wrote:
            > Sorry but sounds to me like you might just be a bit jealous ..
            > next time I suggest you like the rest of us buy a ticket months in
            advance ..

            I must admit, my thoughts on the subject were going to amount to the
            same thing.

            This will be my 3rd SDCC. I went in '05, '07' and now '09. In 2005, the
            attendance was around 100k. IIRC, it 'sold out' for the first time in
            '06 at 125k. After '07, they stopped day of/door sales. Last year, the
            convention sold out a few weeks before. This year, a few months before.

            None of this should be a surprise, as SDCC is this country's premiere
            convention for basically all entertainment and media sans sports. The
            thing is, this is a convention that even before I went the first time I
            knew I would have to plan for it. Does this bother me? No, or I wouldn't
            be going back.

            Will Ballroom 20 fill up for the Torchwood/Doctor Who stuff? Quite
            possibly. It did NOT 2 years ago for the Torchwood panel that Noel
            Clarke attended (and I did get his autograph and a photo at a signing
            after the panel). I also tried to get into a Futurama panel in the same
            room on another day, and the line stretched literally for a mile; I
            ended up watching a video online of the panel a couple of weeks later.
            I've never tried to get into Hall H; I go to the convention with this
            kind of preparation in mind.

            In the end, Doctor Who and Doctor Who will NOT be the marquee event at
            the convention; sorry, but that's just simple fact. There will be far
            bigger names and far longer lines for other signings/events. I was at
            the Marvel booth 2 years ago when Favreau and Downey Jr signed up for
            autographs... on the main convention floor. To be honest, I hope the
            convention never allows something like that again, as it was literally
            an insane sea of humanity around that booth.

            But so what. Plan for SDCC. Prepare for it. Know what you're getting
            into and know that guests and events made be added months or even weeks
            before the convention begins.

            And never, NEVER plan to go to SDCC just for one individual or one
            panel. That is NOT how this convention is designed, nor should it be.

            On top of that, SDCC has no control over the fact that the BBC/BBCA
            didn't announce this month ago so a handful of Who fans could go *just*
            for this. So your blame is completely misplaced... not that there's any
            blame to begin with.

            Craig J. Ries
          • KT
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 23, 2009
              Actually a couple clarifications.

              Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March. Hotel rooms for Comic Con are harder to get than tickets (as in by the beginning of April it is difficult to get a hotel reservation closer than El Cajon for those 3 days). The three day passes sell out within a month or two. It isn't until late May or June, when all the additional attendees have been advanced, that the single day tickets sell out. Yes the lines for the different rooms are freaking annoying. But the bottom line is no matter what the faults are San Diego Comic Con is an event experience that should not be missed.

              Be Well,
              Katie

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 23, 2009
                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

                > Actually a couple clarifications.
                >
                > Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March.

                Uh...no. At least for the past few years, that definitely hasn't been the case. My online registration for 2009 is dated 8/19/2008. I'm pretty sure I registered shortly after they went on sale. By March this year, all of the 4-day passes were gone, and very few Saturday one-day passes were left.

                You can also pre-register at the con itself for the following year.

                Lynn
              • Vyolet
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                  Firstly, the talent/celebrities that appear on panels at Comic Con are asked by the studios and networks. They are not required nor obligated to make an appearance and can back out at any time. Their flights, hotel, and in some cases, meals, are paid for by the network or studio that they are doing promotions for, but they are not usually paid. And from what I have heard, there are some that have a cool experience and come back again willingly.

                  In some cases, a promoter might entice a celeb/talent to come to their booth and sign autographs, but then a fee is charged for autographs. If you are being a charged a fee, then those celebs are being paid.

                  It is true that you can pre-register on site at Comic Con for the next year, but online sales for Comic Con open up either in February or March. The four day passes were sold out by the middle of March this year. I may have to pre-reg on site this year for 2010.

                  I have been attending since 1997 and have gone every year except for 1999. As this convention has evolved and grown I have adapted and I always have a great time. I love when I discover or get clued in to something new. After the announcement that David Tennant was made last week I received a couple of emails from friends who were asking if I was going to be attending because they tried to get tix and discovered it's sold out. My response was that of course it's sold out. And then I got a request from someone asking that if they can manage to get a ticket, if they could room with me? And I had to respond that no, they could not, because my hotel room is already full with 4 people. The four of us were on top of this ages ago.

                  So if anyone is thinking that they would like to attend in 2010, I would say that now is the time to start your planning and be decided by the end of 2009.

                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                  > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Actually a couple clarifications.
                  > >
                  > > Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March.
                  >
                  > Uh...no. At least for the past few years, that definitely hasn't been the case. My online registration for 2009 is dated 8/19/2008. I'm pretty sure I registered shortly after they went on sale. By March this year, all of the 4-day passes were gone, and very few Saturday one-day passes were left.
                  >
                  > You can also pre-register at the con itself for the following year.
                  >
                  > Lynn

                • Vyolet
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                    Ok, my BAD! I misread what you wrote, Lynn, and thought you wrote "...My onsite registration for 2009..." so I have to apologize.

                    I recall being notified by a friend in February about getting passes, so that's why I was thinking that's when they went on sale.
                  • Creatch
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                      Vyolet,

                      Thanks really for so much information about the ins and outs of SDCC. I
                      just started attending Dragon Con which is the only East coast con remotely
                      like SDCC (though 1/5 the size) and I love the gazillion people, the myriad
                      of fandoms and interests, and the total craziness. As a con veteran, I'm
                      used to queuing for frakin' ever for everything from panels to bottled
                      water. I also realize that if you really want to have some face time with
                      John, Gareth, David, whomever, you're not only going to wait in line but pay
                      big bucks for the privilege.

                      I'm glad for the heads up about booking rooms and registering. One
                      question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?

                      Creatch
                      SDCC newbie

                      Firstly, the talent/celebrities that appear on panels at Comic Con are asked
                      by the studios and networks. They are not required nor obligated to make an
                      appearance and can back out at any time. Their flights, hotel, and in some
                      cases, meals, are paid for by the network or studio that they are doing
                      promotions for, but they are not usually paid. And from what I have heard,
                      there are some that have a cool experience and come back again willingly.

                      In some cases, a promoter might entice a celeb/talent to come to their booth
                      and sign autographs, but then a fee is charged for autographs. If you are
                      being a charged a fee, then those celebs are being paid.

                      It is true that you can pre-register on site at Comic Con for the next year,
                      but online sales for Comic Con open up either in February or March. The four
                      day passes were sold out by the middle of March this year. I may have to
                      pre-reg on site this year for 2010.

                      I have been attending since 1997 and have gone every year except for 1999.
                      As this convention has evolved and grown I have adapted and I always have a
                      great time. I love when I discover or get clued in to something new. After
                      the announcement that David Tennant was made last week I received a couple
                      of emails from friends who were asking if I was going to be attending
                      because they tried to get tix and discovered it's sold out. My response was
                      that of course it's sold out. And then I got a request from someone asking
                      that if they can manage to get a ticket, if they could room with me? And I
                      had to respond that no, they could not, because my hotel room is already
                      full with 4 people. The four of us were on top of this ages ago.

                      So if anyone is thinking that they would like to attend in 2010, I would say
                      that now is the time to start your planning and be decided by the end of
                      2009.

                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                      > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Actually a couple clarifications.
                      > >
                      > > Comic Con tickets usually go on sale in March.
                      >
                      > Uh...no. At least for the past few years, that definitely hasn't been the
                      case. My online registration for 2009 is dated 8/19/2008. I'm pretty sure
                      I registered shortly after they went on sale. By March this year, all of
                      the 4-day passes were gone, and very few Saturday one-day passes were left.

                      > You can also pre-register at the con itself for the following year.
                      >
                      > Lynn

                    • Lynn
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Creatch" <creatch829@...> wrote:

                        > I'm glad for the heads up about booking rooms and registering. One
                        > question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?
                        >
                        > Creatch
                        > SDCC newbie

                        The bayfront Marriott. Be prepared to pay ~$350 a night for the privilege. Most people settle for anywhere downtown (within 10-12 blocks of the convention center) that they can get for more reasonable prices. That includes the Omni, the Grand Hyatt, the Embassy Suites, either of the two Hiltons (Gaslamp or Bayfront) either of the two Westins, and the Horton Grand, among others. If it's in "blocks" from the convention center rather than "miles," that's where you want to be.

                        (And just to be clear, passes go on sale online for the next year around August of the previous year. So if you want to go in 2010, start checking the CC web site in August of THIS year.)

                        -Lynn
                      • Creatch
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                          Lynn,

                          Muchas gracias! I really don't understand people whinging about attending
                          what seems like such a cool event. I hope to attend SDCC either 2010 or
                          2011..

                          Creatch

                          On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Lynn <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Creatch" <creatch829@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I'm glad for the heads up about booking rooms and registering. One
                          > > question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?
                          > >
                          > > Creatch
                          > > SDCC newbie
                          >
                          > The bayfront Marriott. Be prepared to pay ~$350 a night for the privilege.
                          > Most people settle for anywhere downtown (within 10-12 blocks of the
                          > convention center) that they can get for more reasonable prices. That
                          > includes the Omni, the Grand Hyatt, the Embassy Suites, either of the two
                          > Hiltons (Gaslamp or Bayfront) either of the two Westins, and the Horton
                          > Grand, among others. If it's in "blocks" from the convention center rather
                          > than "miles," that's where you want to be.
                          >
                          > (And just to be clear, passes go on sale online for the next year around
                          > August of the previous year. So if you want to go in 2010, start checking
                          > the CC web site in August of THIS year.)
                          >
                          > -Lynn

                        • Craig J. Ries
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 24, 2009
                            Creatch wrote:

                            > One question, what is the hotel that I totally want to be in?

                            Lynn gave a list of all the hotels that are right by the convention
                            center. However, if you don't mind a little bit of time on the bus
                            and/or trolley, you could look for hotels a bit out from the Convention
                            Center as well.

                            For example, for my 2nd SDCC, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sea World.
                            It's cheaper, isn't as hard to get a room, and it was only a 5 minute
                            bus ride to Old Town, where you can catch a trolley line (they usual run
                            a special line that weekend) straight to the convention.

                            The only place I don't recommend staying is along Hotel Circle. It's
                            just a bad location if you're relying on public transportation. And in
                            general, I just flat out don't recommend trying to drive to/from your
                            hotel to the convention center, as getting a parking spot is not easy.

                            Craig J. Ries
                          • PRATERAE@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 25, 2009
                              Perhaps because they've been and haven't enjoyed it? What one person
                              finds a great experience, another person finds overwhelming or too
                              large. We all have different ideas about what is a 'cool event'.

                              Ali

                              "Muchas gracias! I really don't understand people whinging about
                              attending
                              what seems like such a cool event. I hope to attend SDCC either 2010 or
                              2011.."

                              AOL Email goes Mobile! You can now read your AOL Emails whilst on the
                              move. Sign up for a free AOL Email account with unlimited storage today.
                            • Karel
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                                Just a reminder that today is the first TW radioplay, Asylum, on BBC4 radio!!

                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lg4c7

                                Check this link, though you might have to search a little for it. It start at 2:15 in UK, which I think is 9:15 on the east coast of the US. It's available for down load for seven days and the cds will be for sale later this month.

                                Two more radio plays to come, Thurs and Friday and Season 3 next week in the UK.

                                It's a Torchwood Summer!!!

                              • Karel
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                                  Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load somewhere on the net.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                                    IIRC, the BBC put Lost Souls up to download legally from them, it's just not standard practice with iPlayer.

                                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Karel" <jerseyjunior@...> wrote:

                                    > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load somewhere on the net.

                                  • Joni
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                                      I'm in Canada and was able to download it from the BBC site.

                                      Joni

                                      2009/7/1 Karel <jerseyjunior@...>:

                                      > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the
                                      > initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from
                                      > somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load
                                      > somewhere on the net.
                                    • Dorothy Burgess
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                                        I’m in US and I downloaded it as well. I tried listening to it live and it kept cutting out.

                                        2009/7/1 Karel <jerseyjunior@...<mailto:jerseyjunior%40comcast.net>>:

                                        > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the
                                        > initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from
                                        > somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load
                                        > somewhere on the net.

                                      • Robert A. Rosenberg
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                                          At 12:36 +0000 on 07/01/2009, badblokebob wrote about [torchwood] Re:
                                          TW Radio Play today!!!:

                                          >IIRC, the BBC put Lost Souls up to download legally from them, it's
                                          >just not standard practice with iPlayer.

                                          Is it still accessible? If so, what is the URL or method of finding
                                          the download?

                                          Thank you.
                                        • Karel
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                                            OK. It said on the BBC site UK only so I'm glad it all worked out. I had trouble with streaming and buffering trying to listen live so I think it will just be easier to down load it.

                                            2009/7/1 Karel <jerseyjunior@...>:

                                            > Correction on that. You should be able to listen to it even after the
                                            > initial play. Only UK can download it but I downloaded Lost Souls from
                                            > somewhere - I can't remember where - so it should be available to down load
                                            > somewhere on the net.

                                          • Robert A. Rosenberg
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                                              At 09:41 -0400 on 07/02/2009, pfyre wrote about Re: [torchwood] Re:
                                              TW Radio Play today!!!:

                                              >At 03:59 PM 7/1/2009, Robert A. Rosenberg, annotated:
                                              >
                                              >>At 12:36 +0000 on 07/01/2009, badblokebob wrote about [torchwood] Re:
                                              >>TW Radio Play today!!!:
                                              >>
                                              >>>IIRC, the BBC put Lost Souls up to download legally from them, it's
                                              >>>just not standard practice with iPlayer.
                                              >>
                                              >>Is it still accessible? If so, what is the URL or method of finding
                                              >>the download?
                                              >>
                                              >>Thank you.
                                              >>

                                              >goto:
                                              >< http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>
                                              >
                                              >as the plays are broadcast - they will become available for download

                                              Thanks for the reply. I know of that URL and have been downloading
                                              THIS WEEK's shows (which that link lists). My question is about a URL
                                              to download LAST YEAR's show (Lost Souls) which is not on that page.
                                              Is it still accessible or do I need to get it some other way (such as
                                              via BitTorrent)?

                                              Thank you.
                                            • badblokebob
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009

                                                > >goto:
                                                > >< http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>
                                                > >
                                                > >as the plays are broadcast - they will become available for download
                                                >
                                                > Thanks for the reply. I know of that URL and have been downloading
                                                > THIS WEEK's shows (which that link lists). My question is about a URL
                                                > to download LAST YEAR's show (Lost Souls) which is not on that page.
                                                > Is it still accessible or do I need to get it some other way (such as
                                                > via BitTorrent)?

                                                Lost Souls is no longer available for free (legally) because it's been commercially released on CD (and through iTunes, etc, I believe).
                                              • Robert A. Rosenberg
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                                                  At 22:17 +0000 on 07/02/2009, badblokebob wrote about [torchwood] Re:
                                                  TW Radio Play today!!!:

                                                  >> >goto:
                                                  >> ><
                                                  >><http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/torchwood/download/>
                                                  >> >
                                                  >> >as the plays are broadcast - they will become available for download
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Thanks for the reply. I know of that URL and have been downloading
                                                  >> THIS WEEK's shows (which that link lists). My question is about a URL
                                                  >> to download LAST YEAR's show (Lost Souls) which is not on that page.
                                                  >> Is it still accessible or do I need to get it some other way (such as
                                                  >> via BitTorrent)?
                                                  >>

                                                  >Lost Souls is no longer available for free (legally) because it's
                                                  >been commercially released on CD (and through iTunes, etc, I
                                                  >believe).

                                                  Thanks. I'll go the iTunes route to get it.