Re: [torchwood] Re: 3 More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!

  • Melissa Ivey
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
      They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and Region 2 contained the same stuff.

      Melissa

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Ivey" <mjmivey@...> wrote:

        > They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and >Region 2 contained the same stuff.

        They don't cut anything from the DVDs; the episodes are exactly the same.

        -Lynn
      • loribw411@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
          *** People seem to be confusing what I said/meant. My apologies.? I know that
          BBCA cuts TW with commercials, etc.? I like to puchase the Region 2 DVD'S to see the UK versions.? Those are uncut and shown on their Telly with no commercials. The DVD's are exactly what are shown on the TV. (UK & US? I just happen to like both versions.

          Lori

          They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and Region 2 contained the same stuff.

          Melissa

          I see what you're referring to. I hate the fact BBCA does all those damn commercials. To be honest, that's why I not only purchase Region 1 DVD's but also Region 2. It's a chance to see what was cut from our versions. I've written to BBCA about airing uncut versions but I'll be writing to them again about this.

          Lori

          > > For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

        • Robert A. Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
            At 12:03 +0000 on 06/11/2009, l63ks wrote about [torchwood] Re: 3
            More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!:

            >I see what you're referring to. I hate the fact BBCA does all those
            >damn commercials. To be honest, that's why I not only purchase
            >Region 1 DVD's but also Region 2. It's a chance to see what was cut
            >from our versions. I've written to BBCA about airing uncut versions
            >but I'll be writing to them again about this.
            >
            >Lori

            There is also the issue that they tend to sit on a show for up to a
            year after it is broadcast on BBC UK before bothering to air it (When
            season X of a show starts airing on BBC UK, they finally start to air
            Season X-1). This has become less of an issue recently (they are
            airing sooner but still take their time before it shows up). This is
            the first time that I can remember that they air something so soon
            after the BBC UK airing (although this was originally supposed to be
            a SIMULCAST event).

            As an example of their "We will eventually allow you to see it"
            policy, the XMAS 2008 Doctor Who ("The New Doctor") is FINALLY being
            aired next month (6 Months late). I will not even get into their
            refusal to post the UK Web Site Contents on the BBCA Site even after
            they finally air an episode. The UK sites are 100% blocked to US IP
            Addresses even after the show airs on BBCA so that is not an option.
          • Robert A. Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
              At 12:03 -0700 on 06/11/2009, Lynn wrote about Re: [torchwood] Re: 3
              More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!:

              >Even if BBCA does not cut for time, they will still bleep any language
              >they deem unacceptable, and any strong sexual moments.

              IOW: They broadcast the "Watershed" editions of the show (or are they
              doing their own editing of the full versions instead?).
            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <rarpsl@...> wrote:

                > IOW: They broadcast the "Watershed" editions of the show (or are
                > they doing their own editing of the full versions instead?).

                As far as I know, they do their own editing, which would make sense, as the UK is far more concerned about violence, and the US far more uptight about sex.

                BBCA's editing for content is admittedly quite mild -- in season 1, the only real edits for content (besides bleeping certain language) was the bathroom sex scene in Day One and the sex scenes between Owen and Diane in Out of Time. I stopped watching BBCA altogether in season 2, as HDNet was running the show, so I'm not sure of the differences there, but I imagine they were similar.

                -- Lynn
              • Judy Ralston
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                  Is this a misprint? Did you mean to say that the miniseries is 5 nights of 5 hours each or did you mean 5 nights of 1 hour each?

                  > > For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

                  Recent Activity

                  3
                  New MembersVisit Your Group

                  Give Back
                  Yahoo! for Good

                  Get inspired
                  by a good cause.

                  Y! Toolbar
                  Get it Free!

                  easy 1-click access
                  to your groups.

                  Yahoo! Groups
                  Start a group

                  in 3 easy steps.
                  Connect with others.
                  .

                • scott mccowan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                    5 nites i heard-then 3 bbc4 audio dramas
                    scott

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                      At 15:26 -0400 on 06/11/2009, loribw411@... wrote about Re:
                      [torchwood] Re: 3 More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!:

                      >They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and
                      >Region 2 contained the same stuff.
                      >
                      >Melissa

                      Not in all cases. For Example, the Doctor Who R1 DVDs had edited (to
                      15 minutes from the original 30 minutes) of the Doctor Who
                      Confidential (the making of sidebar series that airs right after the
                      first UK broadcast of a new episode) Episodes. I do not know if this
                      occurred with all the Seasons but I know Season 1 had this done to
                      it. I think they also fool with or do not include the Torchwood
                      Declassified Making of Show.
                    • Lynn
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <rarpsl@...> wrote:

                        > Not in all cases. For Example, the Doctor Who R1 DVDs had edited (to
                        > 15 minutes from the original 30 minutes) of the Doctor Who
                        > Confidential (the making of sidebar series that airs right after the
                        > first UK broadcast of a new episode) Episodes.

                        This is no different than the UK version -- all the Confidentials on the DVDs are the "cut down" versions.

                        This thread is sort of getting really unnecessarily confusing :) As far as I know or have ever heard, the actual episodes on the Dr Who and Torchwood DVDs are the same in the US and the UK.

                        The only difference I've ever heard of in the extras is the commentary on the last episode of season 3. On the US version, the podcast commentary with the producers was used instead of the actor commentary due to some rights issues.

                        I'm not aware of any other difference on any (new) Who or Torchwood DVD between the US and UK versions. The only difference is the region and the encoding. There is really no reason to buy both versions.

                        Lynn
                      • badblokebob
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 12, 2009
                          Other way round -- 3x BBC 4 radio dramas, then 5x 1 hour TV episodes.

                        • flashn9wdq@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 12, 2009
                            If you want to watch the uncut UK versions, your best bet is to download the torrent. These are usually available within a day of the broadcast. Also solves that minor problem of our being on the wrong side of the pond.

                            dennis