3 More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 10, 2009
      I realize that message volume in this list will get out of control when "Children of Earth" airs late next month. I have more to say later on that later in this post. However, for those who follow such things, three weeks from now are more new Torchwood episodes also.

      On BBC Radio 4 are three new Torchwood radio dramas that not only feature the Torchwood cast but also apparently bridge the gap between the last radio program months back "Lost Souls" but lead to next month's miniseries. These radio dramas will air over three days from July 1 to July 3 in the afternoon in the UK.

      They are:

      Asylum
      Golden Age
      The Dead Line

      I have not been able to find any information as to what the plots are for these radio dramas, except for me, Torchwood is Torchwood. You can listen to these radio dramas and imagine Rhys and the gang doing battle against various alien invasions of Cardiff, a city of immense strategic military importance or so I've heard.

      Three Torchwoods in three days. That is amazing and it so close away.

      For those familiar with the wacky antics of program schedulers at BBC America who cut episodes of Doctor Who and Torchwood to make room for multitudes of commercials, the original episodes bore almost no resemblance sometimes to what was shown on BBC America.

      For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

      However, there is good news about that on another note. I received the double issue TV Guide yesterday and saw the listing for BBC America's airing of "The Next Doctor" on Saturday night, June 27th, which for those with math anxiety, is 17 days away. The first ever airing on BBC America of "The Next Doctor" is getting a 90 minute time slot, so any material edited out will very likely be minimal or existential. As that Doctor Who Christmas special ran one hour, that leaves plenty of time for commercials with minimal loss to the finished product.

      That could also mean that BBC America has gotten enough flack from purists about their botched editing jobs that they have woken up to smell the coffee and may very likely extend the time slots each night from July 20th to July 24th for airings of each of the five episodes of Children of Earth.

      While there has not been announcement that I have heard for the uncut showings on BBC One that are supposed to precede BBC America, the only other thing BBC America has going for it that programs are close captioned for those having trouble with low-volume dialogue and hard to understand Welsh or British accents.

      Whatever those radio shows are about, remember that they are Torchwood and people here should be encouraged to listen to them and comment here without spoiling it for people who are not able to listen to them in other parts of the world.

      Thanks,

      Dean L. Kaufman
      Santa Ana, CA USA
    • flashn9wdq@charter.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
        Ahh, you did mean to say 5 episodes of 1 hour each, right? Surely this is not 25 hours (5 nights of 5 hours each) !

        dennis

        ---- "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

        > For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

      • Karel
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
          (Sorry about the color - I can't get it to change to black.)

          Asylum by Anita Sullivan
          The story of a teen runaway called Freda who is brought to the attention of Torchwood by PC Andy. As Gwen, Jack and Ianto investigate where this troubled girl has come from, Andy finds himself drawn closer than ever before into the world of Torchwood.

          Golden Age by James Goss
          Torchwood go to India to investigate the disappearance of hundreds of people. The trail leads them to an old colonial club which seems strangely stuck in the past as does its young and beautiful owner, the Duchess.

          The Dead Line by Phil Ford
          A series of mysterious phone calls lead Jack into danger, and result in 'a very emotional moment for Ianto'.

          These three new Torchwood radio plays will each have an approximate running time of forty five minutes and they will all air on BBC Radio 4. The episodes will be broadcast before Torchwood series three's transmission in the Summer and they will star; John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper and Gareth David-Lloyd as Ianto Jones

          Message -----

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
            I see what you're referring to. I hate the fact BBCA does all those damn commercials. To be honest, that's why I not only purchase Region 1 DVD's but also Region 2. It's a chance to see what was cut from our versions. I've written to BBCA about airing uncut versions but I'll be writing to them again about this.

            Lori

            > > For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

          • Melissa Ivey
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
              They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and Region 2 contained the same stuff.

              Melissa

              I see what you're referring to. I hate the fact BBCA does all those damn commercials. To be honest, that's why I not only purchase Region 1 DVD's but also Region 2. It's a chance to see what was cut from our versions. I've written to BBCA about airing uncut versions but I'll be writing to them again about this.

              Lori

              > > For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:03 AM, l63ks<loribw411@...> wrote:

                > I see what you're referring to. I hate the fact BBCA does all those damn
                > commercials. To be honest, that's why I not only purchase Region 1 DVD's but
                > also Region 2. It's a chance to see what was cut from our versions. I've
                > written to BBCA about airing uncut versions but I'll be writing to them
                > again about this.

                What BBCA does has nothing to do with the DVDs. For Torchwood, the R1
                and R2 DVDs have been the identical, uncut versions of the episodes.
                There is really no reason to buy both.

                Even if BBCA does not cut for time, they will still bleep any language
                they deem unacceptable, and any strong sexual moments. So even if
                they choose to air the show in a 75 or 90 minute time slot, it doesn't
                mean you'll be getting the same version as the UK. It will be better
                than cutting 15-17 minutes, of course, but it still won't be complete.

                I'm really sorry HDNet lost Torchwood. :( It was the only way to see
                uncut, complete versions in the US on TV. And in hidef to boot.

                -Lynn
              • Lynn
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Ivey" <mjmivey@...> wrote:

                  > They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and >Region 2 contained the same stuff.

                  They don't cut anything from the DVDs; the episodes are exactly the same.

                  -Lynn
                • loribw411@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                    *** People seem to be confusing what I said/meant. My apologies.? I know that
                    BBCA cuts TW with commercials, etc.? I like to puchase the Region 2 DVD'S to see the UK versions.? Those are uncut and shown on their Telly with no commercials. The DVD's are exactly what are shown on the TV. (UK & US? I just happen to like both versions.

                    Lori

                    They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and Region 2 contained the same stuff.

                    Melissa

                    I see what you're referring to. I hate the fact BBCA does all those damn commercials. To be honest, that's why I not only purchase Region 1 DVD's but also Region 2. It's a chance to see what was cut from our versions. I've written to BBCA about airing uncut versions but I'll be writing to them again about this.

                    Lori

                    > > For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

                  • Robert A. Rosenberg
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                      At 12:03 +0000 on 06/11/2009, l63ks wrote about [torchwood] Re: 3
                      More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!:

                      >I see what you're referring to. I hate the fact BBCA does all those
                      >damn commercials. To be honest, that's why I not only purchase
                      >Region 1 DVD's but also Region 2. It's a chance to see what was cut
                      >from our versions. I've written to BBCA about airing uncut versions
                      >but I'll be writing to them again about this.
                      >
                      >Lori

                      There is also the issue that they tend to sit on a show for up to a
                      year after it is broadcast on BBC UK before bothering to air it (When
                      season X of a show starts airing on BBC UK, they finally start to air
                      Season X-1). This has become less of an issue recently (they are
                      airing sooner but still take their time before it shows up). This is
                      the first time that I can remember that they air something so soon
                      after the BBC UK airing (although this was originally supposed to be
                      a SIMULCAST event).

                      As an example of their "We will eventually allow you to see it"
                      policy, the XMAS 2008 Doctor Who ("The New Doctor") is FINALLY being
                      aired next month (6 Months late). I will not even get into their
                      refusal to post the UK Web Site Contents on the BBCA Site even after
                      they finally air an episode. The UK sites are 100% blocked to US IP
                      Addresses even after the show airs on BBCA so that is not an option.
                    • Robert A. Rosenberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                        At 12:03 -0700 on 06/11/2009, Lynn wrote about Re: [torchwood] Re: 3
                        More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!:

                        >Even if BBCA does not cut for time, they will still bleep any language
                        >they deem unacceptable, and any strong sexual moments.

                        IOW: They broadcast the "Watershed" editions of the show (or are they
                        doing their own editing of the full versions instead?).
                      • Lynn
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <rarpsl@...> wrote:

                          > IOW: They broadcast the "Watershed" editions of the show (or are
                          > they doing their own editing of the full versions instead?).

                          As far as I know, they do their own editing, which would make sense, as the UK is far more concerned about violence, and the US far more uptight about sex.

                          BBCA's editing for content is admittedly quite mild -- in season 1, the only real edits for content (besides bleeping certain language) was the bathroom sex scene in Day One and the sex scenes between Owen and Diane in Out of Time. I stopped watching BBCA altogether in season 2, as HDNet was running the show, so I'm not sure of the differences there, but I imagine they were similar.

                          -- Lynn
                        • Judy Ralston
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                            Is this a misprint? Did you mean to say that the miniseries is 5 nights of 5 hours each or did you mean 5 nights of 1 hour each?

                            > > For those not aware with all the promo commercials on BBC America for Children of Earth, this miniseries is five nights of five hours each. If BBC America airs those episodes in an hour time slot, that means 17 minutes must be cut from each episode to fit inside the time slot.

                            Recent Activity

                            3
                            New MembersVisit Your Group

                            Give Back
                            Yahoo! for Good

                            Get inspired
                            by a good cause.

                            Y! Toolbar
                            Get it Free!

                            easy 1-click access
                            to your groups.

                            Yahoo! Groups
                            Start a group

                            in 3 easy steps.
                            Connect with others.
                            .

                          • scott mccowan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                              5 nites i heard-then 3 bbc4 audio dramas
                              scott

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                                At 15:26 -0400 on 06/11/2009, loribw411@... wrote about Re:
                                [torchwood] Re: 3 More Weeks To New Torchwood!!!:

                                >They cut material from the DVDs? I thought that both Region 1 and
                                >Region 2 contained the same stuff.
                                >
                                >Melissa

                                Not in all cases. For Example, the Doctor Who R1 DVDs had edited (to
                                15 minutes from the original 30 minutes) of the Doctor Who
                                Confidential (the making of sidebar series that airs right after the
                                first UK broadcast of a new episode) Episodes. I do not know if this
                                occurred with all the Seasons but I know Season 1 had this done to
                                it. I think they also fool with or do not include the Torchwood
                                Declassified Making of Show.
                              • Lynn
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 11, 2009
                                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <rarpsl@...> wrote:

                                  > Not in all cases. For Example, the Doctor Who R1 DVDs had edited (to
                                  > 15 minutes from the original 30 minutes) of the Doctor Who
                                  > Confidential (the making of sidebar series that airs right after the
                                  > first UK broadcast of a new episode) Episodes.

                                  This is no different than the UK version -- all the Confidentials on the DVDs are the "cut down" versions.

                                  This thread is sort of getting really unnecessarily confusing :) As far as I know or have ever heard, the actual episodes on the Dr Who and Torchwood DVDs are the same in the US and the UK.

                                  The only difference I've ever heard of in the extras is the commentary on the last episode of season 3. On the US version, the podcast commentary with the producers was used instead of the actor commentary due to some rights issues.

                                  I'm not aware of any other difference on any (new) Who or Torchwood DVD between the US and UK versions. The only difference is the region and the encoding. There is really no reason to buy both versions.

                                  Lynn
                                • badblokebob
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 12, 2009
                                    Other way round -- 3x BBC 4 radio dramas, then 5x 1 hour TV episodes.

                                  • flashn9wdq@charter.net
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 12, 2009
                                      If you want to watch the uncut UK versions, your best bet is to download the torrent. These are usually available within a day of the broadcast. Also solves that minor problem of our being on the wrong side of the pond.

                                      dennis