More on Adelaide - SPOILER WARNING

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2009
      Hi there:

      My previous post about Lindsay Duncan taking on the role of Adelaide was true on some respects but false on a few others. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE THREE NEXT SPECIALS. FEEL FREE TO DELETE OR SKIP THIS MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING FURTHER.

      The next special of Doctor Who as many already know is called "The Water of Mars" Lindsay Duncan plays a character named Adelaide in that story who helps the Doctor out. The character does not continue at all into the two remaining stories.

      The Ice Warriors came from Mars and never actually called themselves Ice Warriors. The first ones seen had been frozen in a glacier.

      "The Ambassadors of Death" used Mars as a contact point to make contact with the British space program.

      The Osirans used Mars as a prison for Sutekh.

      The Fendahl Core passed through Mars on its way to Earth, possibly forcing the beings known as Ice Warriors away from the planet.

      "The Waters of Mars" appears to be a very scary story along the lines of "The Impossible Planet" with beings that can possess people and channel water as a weapon. There has not been a being like that before on Who to my knowledge so we are looking at some new type of alien.

      Remember "Human Nature" and "The Family of Blood"? Doctor John Smith wrote down his dreams and nightmares into a "Journal of Impossible Things". A woman named Verity Newman (played by Jessica Hynes who played Joan Redfern in those stories)is doing a book-signing of the book. With all the things about the Doctor and his travels in the Doctor, the Doctor finds himself thrust back into the lives of Donna Noble and her grandfather Wilfred Mott. Will too much about the Doctor come out in this book for his own good? Two specials highlight the Doctor up against this Verity Newman woman.

      After Donna and everybody else, the Doctor is shell-shocked about taking on another companion. If he does take anybody on, it is to take on a major threat where he needs their help or taking them on board the TARDIS.

      Matt Smith has not yet chosen his look for the Doctor. There has not been any announcement of anybody chosen to start filming with the new Doctor as a companion. It is highly likely at this point, that encountering Donna again, even for a brief moment, may alter his perception that traveling alone is not really an option for him.

      Wikipedia has stated that Sarah Jane Smith and Luke Smith will be in the final two specials. John Simm is also in the specials, possibly as a nightmare version of "The Master" as the character was killed a few season back. Of course, Wikipedia stated the Doctor was going to be the one to dig Jack Harkness out of the grave his brother buried him in. Believe what you will, but the Doctor's journal causing problems seems far more credible.

      There is a really bad rumor that the special after the Mars special involves the Zarbi. I doubt the Zarbi are coming back any time soon.

      For those wondering about Sci-Fi or BBC America and what they plan to do, put yourself in their shoes.

      When David Tennant closes out his time as the Time Lord, there will be five unaired specials that either network can air. You can put those over five nights or five weeks and that blows them out real good and real fast.

      or

      Matt Smith and his first 13 stories are coupled in a package with the five specials and then you have a package with 18 stories that can air over 18 weeks. I think that either BBC America or Sci Fi, whatever network buys the package first, will opt for an 18 story package as opposed to 5 specials in one package and the 13 new Matt Smith as part of another package.

      It is also highly likely that BBC Video will put all five specials out in a box set as soon all specials have aired and they have syndicated the package they want to syndicate.

      The companion the Doctor chooses to travel with him is going to be a defining moment for the show. The companion won't be in love with the Doctor. The companion won't be one of the Doctor's Warriors of Time as Davros put it. Losing this companion for however long the companion lasts for some reason will not be an issue for the Doctor. Somehow, the Doctor will be on an equal footing with this companion. Who that character is, we will see the actor or actress when publicity photos get published of Matt Smith in the outfit as his version of the Doctor. Seeing some pretty face or "mug" standing next to Matt Smith in a few months won't tell you anything about the companion. The proof about who that character is in the telling of the story. The producers of the show have to change the game because they rewrote the rules of the game.

      Either network could surprise us and air the specials much earlier, but that would whet people's appetites for more episodes they could not immediately deliver on.

      All for now.

      Dean L. Kaufman
      Santa Ana, CA USA
    • Joni
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2009
        2009/4/19 Dean L. Kaufman <deanlkaufman@...>

        > Hi there:
        >
        > My previous post about Lindsay Duncan taking on the role of Adelaide was true on some respects but false on a few others. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE THREE NEXT SPECIALS. FEEL FREE TO DELETE OR SKIP THIS MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING FURTHER.

        > The next special of Doctor Who as many already know is called "The Water of Mars" Lindsay Duncan plays a character named Adelaide in that story who helps the Doctor out. The character does not continue at all into the two remaining stories.

        > Remember "Human Nature" and "The Family of Blood"? Doctor John Smith wrote down his dreams and nightmares into a "Journal of Impossible Things". A woman named Verity Newman (played by Jessica Hynes who played Joan Redfern in those stories)is doing a book-signing of the book. With all the things about the Doctor and his travels in the Doctor, the Doctor finds himself thrust back into the lives of Donna Noble and her grandfather Wilfred Mott. Will too much about the Doctor come out in this book for his own good? Two specials highlight the Doctor up against this Verity Newman woman.

        This seems very likely since we've already seen spoiler pictures of
        the book signing, the book, the Doctor looking at the book along with
        pictures of Donna, her grandfather and her Mom. John Simm has also
        been photographed on set.

        I figure Donna might start to remember things if she sees them in the
        book so the Doctor is worried about her.

        Joni