Re: [torchwood] DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA

  • Patrick Power
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
      I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

      Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
      JMO, but I think he already went through that change of heart during
      his travels with the Doctor and Rose. When he parted from them in
      Parting of the Ways and says his goodbyes to them, it appeared to me
      he was crediting the Doctor specifically for that through the kiss and
      telling him he was better off as a coward. I didn't really see much of
      the conman in him after the midpoint of The Doctor Dances when he
      becomes more of a hero figure. In The Doctor Dances, he takes
      responsibility for getting rid of the 'bomb' knowing it could lead to
      his own death. In Boom Town he helps capture Margaret to bring her to
      justice. In Bad Wolf, his first thought after escaping is to find and
      rescue the Doctor and Rose. And in The Parting of the Ways, he's the
      first to go into battle against the Daleks, helping to plan and
      organize the campaign, again knowing it could lead to his own death.

      After those expierences, I don't see it as much of a stretch for him
      to become a kind of rogue law enforcement figure/leader after finding
      his way off the space station.

      On 3/14/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

      > So he's not some sort of law enforcement officer, Terrestrial or otherwise?
      > He's a conman/criminal, right?  I guess he's going to have a change of heart
      > as some point.
      >

      > Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
      > It's the same character in both shows.
      >

      > On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm confused...
      > >
      > > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters?  The guy in Torchwood
      > > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
      > >
      > > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
      > >
      > > Amanda
      > >
      > > John Hopkins <emaillists@...>
      > wrote:
      > > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
      > > By Cameron Robertson
      > >
      > > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
      > >
      > > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
      > > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
      > >
      > > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
      > > television and especially This Morning."
      > >
      > > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who
      > as
      > > the bisexual conman.
      > >
      > > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an
      > adult
      > > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
      > >
      > > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids'
      > show
      > > Live and Kicking.
      > >
      > > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
      > > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
      > > Schofield's Easter break.
      > >
      > > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
      > > This Morning."

      Patrick Power
      http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

      American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
      http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

    • Don
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
        I get the impression that Jack started out as the hero, as a member of
        the Time Patrol (or something like that), but when he discovered that
        they wiped a full year of memories from his mind he felt betrayed.
        This is when he went Rogue, on a one man quest to find the truth.

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...>
        wrote:

        > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
        just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
        seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 16, 2006
          Am I right in thinking that we still know almost nothing about Jack's
          mysterious original employers?

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
            I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

            wrote:

            > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
            just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
            seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

            Patrick Power
            http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

            American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
            http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

            Yahoo! Mail

          • starhawk2197
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 18, 2006
              <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

              > I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

              I think the cover Jack uses in 1941 London covers a great deal of
              who we're supposed to see Jack as. In British fiction American
              volunteers in the RAF before Dec.'41, were generally seen as heroic,
              happy-go-lucky swashbuckler types. Davies said he wanted an American
              type action hero. Stephen Mofatt seems to have prefered Gene Kelly's
              D'artangion, Burt Lancaster's "Crimsom Pirate," and Erol
              Flynn's "Robin Hood," as his model for American Action Heros.

              Jack's former employers seem to be somewhat modeled onthe
              European view of the CIA. It occures to me that, just as the Doctor
              was wrong about the Daleks being wiped out, there may be other
              Galifreyans still around, and the secret masters of the Time Patrol.
              Neither, the Master, the Rani, the Valiyard, the War Chief, nor the
              Meddler, would be a good choice for the secret master of the Time
              Patrol. Susan or Romana, if corrupted or trapped into bad choices,
              would make far more dangerous foes.
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 19, 2006
                Thanks for those musings. RTD's (apparent) premise that there are no
                other surviving Time Lords is obviously absurd. The idea that all the
                Daleks "out there" might turn up for the Time War is one thing. But
                all the Time Lords, including all the renegades? C'mon!!!

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>