When You Do See "Planet of the Dead" SPOILER ALERT!

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19 9:08 AM
      Mod Note

      Amended title in order to allow people to delete/avoid totally

      Added extra space to prevent personal opinion acting as spoilers.

      Stuart

      End of mod note

      Hi there:

      For those out there who have seen the recent Doctor Who special, "Planet of the Dead" or plan to see it in the future when either a boxed DVD set comes out of the specials or the Sci Fi Channel of BBC America deigns to air them in the summer or later of 2010, here are some things to look out for.

      As much as I like Doctor Who, one of the best shows around, I don't like it when things get sloppy.

      Assuming you have not seen the special yet, then the following could be considered spoilers and deserves spoiler space. Do not read any further if you don't want to know anything about this special that aired the Saturday of Easter weekend.

      Essentially, a master thief named Lady Christina de Souza (Michelle Ryan) has stolen a gold chalice from the International Gallery on Easter. Her getaway goes bad and she is forced to board a doubledecker buss that is soon boarded by the Doctor who is tracking a spatial disturbance. With cops in pursuit, the bus plunges through a wormhole onto a desert planet that held billions of people on it one year ago. Forming an alliance with crashed aliens, the Doctor and bus passengers must find a safe way back to Earth before they face a storm of creatures that had wiped out the whole planet.

      My points on the matter are:

      If you have a very valuable display in a museum, why are you going to put directly under a domed roof where the top of the dome can be removed? Who was in charge of putting the display directly under roof access?

      How did the police know about Lady Christina and her crime spree? There was no backstory on that?

      How did the Doctor's pyschic paper work as a bus pass?

      Doctor Who has gone a long time without resorting to toilet humor. The Doctor's lengthy explanation about the Tritovore's trade mission to the planet left little to the imagination. Why did the show have to sink to toilet humor?

      It would have been nice to know what the Doctor was reacting to when being talked to by the Tritovore.

      If the Tritovore were diplomats to the planet, why were they dressed like common handymen?

      Doubledecker buses in England are like a big tourist thing. Why did the bus driver not obey traffic laws and pull over for the police?

      Why did no other cars slip through on to the planet when even police cars were right on tail of bus?

      Why did UNIT allow a woman to escape the area in a bus with anti-gravity devices on it? They did not seem concerned in the least that somebody is flying over the skies of London in a doubledecker bus.

      How can the armor-plated sting rays actually be killed? That was not exactly made clear?

      What exactly fell to the ground from the bus driver's remains?

      All for now.

      Dean L. Kaufman
      Santa Ana, CA USA
      Western Hemisphere
    • Pippin Ionad
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19 9:47 AM
        my comments in red

        "It's not a streak, it's a way of life"

        http://aranellaurelote.livejournal.com

[...]

        How did the Doctor's pyschic paper work as a bus pass? - a mega-rider??
         - I would use it for that!
        Doctor Who has gone a long time without resorting to toilet humor. The Doctor's lengthy explanation about the Tritovore's trade mission to the planet left little to the imagination. Why did the show have to sink to toilet humor?

        It would have been nice to know what the Doctor was reacting to when being talked to by the Tritovore.

        If the Tritovore were diplomats to the planet, why were they dressed like common handymen?

        Doubledecker buses in England are like a big tourist thing. Why did the bus driver not obey traffic laws and pull over for the police? - because he is a bus driver and they are evil *coughreallyalienscough* (I thought that too though!) - I must admit I didn't think there were actually any red buses on the roads anymore - but being a northener I'm probably wrong ;D

        Why did no other cars slip through on to the planet when even police cars were right on tail of bus?

        Why did UNIT allow a woman to escape the area in a bus with anti-gravity devices on it? They did not seem concerned in the least that somebody is flying over the skies of London in a doubledecker bus. - I spose noone would actually believe anyone who saw it.... really? they probably shot it down as soon as the credits rolled... but it is a kids show as well

        How can the armor-plated sting rays actually be killed? That was not exactly made clear?

        What exactly fell to the ground from the bus driver's remains?

        All for now.

        Dean L. Kaufman
        Santa Ana, CA USA
        Western Hemisphere

      • sweetkitty
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19 9:53 AM
          That story line reminds me to much of Riddick's Pitch Black.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19 1:47 PM
            Ooh the pain - all the worries about the whys and what ifs - io just sat back and watched and let it be

            ________________________________
[...]

            Enjoy a safer web experience. Upgrade to the new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7. Get it now.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 19 2:30 PM
              At 04:47 PM 4/19/2009, kerry hewitt, annotated:
              >Ooh the pain - all the worries about the whys and what ifs - io just
              >sat back and watched and let it be

              ITA - although the new Doctor Who series episodes have been for the
              most part much more plausible - they have never truly been properly
              scientific and there are frequently plot holes large enough to fly
              the Sontaran or even Dalek fleet through

              frankly I enjoyed the episode (watched if via torrent) - I kinda
              enjoy the "companion of the special" thing they have going - and
              frankly they rarely give much back story for the characters or
              temporary companions - just a tidbit here or there

              *shrug*

              I for one enjoyed it - I didn't try to analyze it though

              the same can be said of the storylines in Torchwood as well - there
              are implausibilities, contradictions and impossibilities as well as
              plot holes by the dozens that would let the weevils stroll through en
              mass - for instance I completely and thoroughly love 112 Captain
              Jack Harkness but it's hardly perfect in regards to total
              plausibility and sound plot

              jmo
              pfyre