Re: Sweet Adelaide

  • Vyolet
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
      Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being referenced in the original post.

      I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
      drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
      barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

      Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a movie or cartoon instance
      when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

      > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
      >
      > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
      >
      > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
      > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
      >
      > Lynn
    • Diana Williams
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
        Err, It's Sweet Adeline.

        Adelaide is the name of one of the female leads in "Guys and Dolls", a singer in a nightclub. Adelaide is also my grandmother's name (and oddly enough, she was a singer in a nightclub before her marriage).

        Diana W.

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
          On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Vyolet <soccerryot@...> wrote:

          > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
          > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
          > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

          Yes, "Sweet Adeline" is a barbershop quartet standard. In fact, there
          is a female quartet locally who are called the Sweet Adelines.

          Nancy Kaminski
        • Russ
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
            "Sweet Adeline" was also a CLASSIC skit on I LOVE LUCY, Ricky, Fred
            and Ethel were doing a barbershop quartet in a barbershop, the 4th
            person in the chair ended up being Lucy, and she was so horrid that
            Ricky ended up shoving the shaving cream in her mouth.

            Classic comedy!

            Wow that brings back memories. LOL

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

            > Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being
            referenced in the original post.

            > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it
            was usually sung by a
            > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have
            been used as a
            > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.
            >
            > Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a
            movie or cartoon instance
            > when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?
            >

            > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
            > >
            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
            > >
            > > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
            > >
            > > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
            > > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
            > >
            > > Lynn

          • beatlefanfcb
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
              Adelaide is a wonderful character from the musical Guys and Dolls.

              Sweet Adeline is a song usually associated with barbershop quartets. I
              have never heard of this as a drinking song.

              Frank Caesar Branchini
              Edgewater, MD USA