Re: Freema's New Show

  • Tom Beck
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
      For the first season (at least) of L&O:UK, they took scripts from the
      American original and revised them to match the London location,
      characters, and British law.

      I don't know if they will continue to do this should there be future
      series, and although they hope to export the series to the US, as of
      now there is no deal in place with any US network or channel.

      It's interesting, because this was L&O creator Dick Wolf's original
      idea for exploiting the franchise: city-specific spinoffs. At first he
      wanted to do it within the US (the way CSI later spread from Vegas to
      Miami and then to New York); when NBC didn't want to do that, he came
      up with the idea of spinoffs set in different branches of the NYPD:
      SVU and Criminal Intent. (Also Trial By Jury, which ran only one half-
      season, and Deadline, a series about a New York tabloid newspaper set
      in the L&O universe, which also ran less than a full year before being
      canceled.) And there were crossovers with Homicide.

      Internationally, however, he has succeeded in his original expansion
      plan, with a version of CI in Paris as well as a Russian and now a
      British version of the original.

      Does UK television air any or all of the American Law & Order shows?

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...>
      wrote:

      > Freema Agyeman's new show, "Law and Order UK" premiered in the UK
      > Monday evening with little fanfare. The show does strongly resemble
      > the original Law and Order and the episode was apparently a remake
      of
      > a past episode of the original although I am not well-versed in the
      > history of the original. Whether these episodes get sold to the US,
      > have no idea. I do know that apparently there are 12 more weeks of
      > this premiere season.
      >
      > Dean

    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
        > Does UK television air any or all of the American Law & Order shows?

        I don't know exact details, but Five air at least one (and quite
        possibly all three) L&O shows here in the UK. The website is
        www.five.tv if you're interested.

        I do wonder if ITV tried to acquire them after commissioning the UK
        version, but if they did I haven't read any reports about it.
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
          I never heard about Deadline before. I do remember they did a spin-off
          called Conviction where Stephanie March reprises her role as Alexandra Cabot
          (from Special Victims Unit). It really didn't revolve too much around the
          trials, but revolving around the personal lives of the lawyers especially
          with some of them very young as well.

          I was very curious about Law & Order: UK so hopefully we'll have someone air
          it here in the US.

          On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Tom Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

          > For the first season (at least) of L&O:UK, they took scripts from the
          > American original and revised them to match the London location,
          > characters, and British law.
          >
          > I don't know if they will continue to do this should there be future
          > series, and although they hope to export the series to the US, as of
          > now there is no deal in place with any US network or channel.
          >
          > It's interesting, because this was L&O creator Dick Wolf's original
          > idea for exploiting the franchise: city-specific spinoffs. At first he
          > wanted to do it within the US (the way CSI later spread from Vegas to
          > Miami and then to New York); when NBC didn't want to do that, he came
          > up with the idea of spinoffs set in different branches of the NYPD:
          > SVU and Criminal Intent. (Also Trial By Jury, which ran only one half-
          > season, and Deadline, a series about a New York tabloid newspaper set
          > in the L&O universe, which also ran less than a full year before being
          > canceled.) And there were crossovers with Homicide.
          >
          > Internationally, however, he has succeeded in his original expansion
          > plan, with a version of CI in Paris as well as a Russian and now a
          > British version of the original.
          >
          > Does UK television air any or all of the American Law & Order shows?
          >

          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Freema Agyeman's new show, "Law and Order UK" premiered in the UK
          > > Monday evening with little fanfare. The show does strongly resemble
          > > the original Law and Order and the episode was apparently a remake
          > of
          > > a past episode of the original although I am not well-versed in the
          > > history of the original. Whether these episodes get sold to the US,
          > > have no idea. I do know that apparently there are 12 more weeks of
          > > this premiere season.
          > >
          > > Dean

        • Thomas Beck
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2009
            Deadline starred Oliver Platt as Wallace Benton, a rather lordly but
            willing to get down-and-dirty columnist for the "New York Ledger," a
            tabloid daily (basically a combination of the New York Daily News and
            the New York Post; frequently seen in the various Law & Order
            versions). It had a great cast, too - Bebe Neuwirth, Lili Taylor, Hope
            Davis, Tom Conti. Benton was always investigating something or other
            that didn't want him to be poking into its affairs and was always
            trying to make trouble for him for doing so. Very little connection to
            the other L&Os, and a totally different style (no "duh-duh" sound for
            instance).

            There were only 13 episodes. I liked it, but I'm one of the few.

            Here's some more info:

            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247086
            http://epguides.com/Deadline
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadline_(TV_series)

            On Feb 25, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Robert wrote:

            > I never heard about Deadline before. I do remember they did a spin-off
            > called Conviction where Stephanie March reprises her role as
            > Alexandra Cabot
            > (from Special Victims Unit). It really didn't revolve too much around
            > the
            > trials, but revolving around the personal lives of the lawyers
            > especially
            > with some of them very young as well.

            Tom Beck

            Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

            Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
            almost perfectly.