Freema's New Show

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
      Freema Agyeman's new show, "Law and Order UK" premiered in the UK
      Monday evening with little fanfare. The show does strongly resemble
      the original Law and Order and the episode was apparently a remake of
      a past episode of the original although I am not well-versed in the
      history of the original. Whether these episodes get sold to the US, I
      have no idea. I do know that apparently there are 12 more weeks of
      this premiere season.

      Dean
    • msunshne
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
        I read the ratings were all right. It beat it's competition in it's time slot but got fewer viewers than what aired at the same time last week.

        Melissa
      • Tom Beck
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
          For the first season (at least) of L&O:UK, they took scripts from the
          American original and revised them to match the London location,
          characters, and British law.

          I don't know if they will continue to do this should there be future
          series, and although they hope to export the series to the US, as of
          now there is no deal in place with any US network or channel.

          It's interesting, because this was L&O creator Dick Wolf's original
          idea for exploiting the franchise: city-specific spinoffs. At first he
          wanted to do it within the US (the way CSI later spread from Vegas to
          Miami and then to New York); when NBC didn't want to do that, he came
          up with the idea of spinoffs set in different branches of the NYPD:
          SVU and Criminal Intent. (Also Trial By Jury, which ran only one half-
          season, and Deadline, a series about a New York tabloid newspaper set
          in the L&O universe, which also ran less than a full year before being
          canceled.) And there were crossovers with Homicide.

          Internationally, however, he has succeeded in his original expansion
          plan, with a version of CI in Paris as well as a Russian and now a
          British version of the original.

          Does UK television air any or all of the American Law & Order shows?

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...>
          wrote:

          > Freema Agyeman's new show, "Law and Order UK" premiered in the UK
          > Monday evening with little fanfare. The show does strongly resemble
          > the original Law and Order and the episode was apparently a remake
          of
          > a past episode of the original although I am not well-versed in the
          > history of the original. Whether these episodes get sold to the US,
          > have no idea. I do know that apparently there are 12 more weeks of
          > this premiere season.
          >
          > Dean

        • badblokebob
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
            > Does UK television air any or all of the American Law & Order shows?

            I don't know exact details, but Five air at least one (and quite
            possibly all three) L&O shows here in the UK. The website is
            www.five.tv if you're interested.

            I do wonder if ITV tried to acquire them after commissioning the UK
            version, but if they did I haven't read any reports about it.
          • Robert
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
              I never heard about Deadline before. I do remember they did a spin-off
              called Conviction where Stephanie March reprises her role as Alexandra Cabot
              (from Special Victims Unit). It really didn't revolve too much around the
              trials, but revolving around the personal lives of the lawyers especially
              with some of them very young as well.

              I was very curious about Law & Order: UK so hopefully we'll have someone air
              it here in the US.

              On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Tom Beck <tomfodw@...> wrote:

              > For the first season (at least) of L&O:UK, they took scripts from the
              > American original and revised them to match the London location,
              > characters, and British law.
              >
              > I don't know if they will continue to do this should there be future
              > series, and although they hope to export the series to the US, as of
              > now there is no deal in place with any US network or channel.
              >
              > It's interesting, because this was L&O creator Dick Wolf's original
              > idea for exploiting the franchise: city-specific spinoffs. At first he
              > wanted to do it within the US (the way CSI later spread from Vegas to
              > Miami and then to New York); when NBC didn't want to do that, he came
              > up with the idea of spinoffs set in different branches of the NYPD:
              > SVU and Criminal Intent. (Also Trial By Jury, which ran only one half-
              > season, and Deadline, a series about a New York tabloid newspaper set
              > in the L&O universe, which also ran less than a full year before being
              > canceled.) And there were crossovers with Homicide.
              >
              > Internationally, however, he has succeeded in his original expansion
              > plan, with a version of CI in Paris as well as a Russian and now a
              > British version of the original.
              >
              > Does UK television air any or all of the American Law & Order shows?
              >

              > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Freema Agyeman's new show, "Law and Order UK" premiered in the UK
              > > Monday evening with little fanfare. The show does strongly resemble
              > > the original Law and Order and the episode was apparently a remake
              > of
              > > a past episode of the original although I am not well-versed in the
              > > history of the original. Whether these episodes get sold to the US,
              > > have no idea. I do know that apparently there are 12 more weeks of
              > > this premiere season.
              > >
              > > Dean

            • Thomas Beck
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 26, 2009
                Deadline starred Oliver Platt as Wallace Benton, a rather lordly but
                willing to get down-and-dirty columnist for the "New York Ledger," a
                tabloid daily (basically a combination of the New York Daily News and
                the New York Post; frequently seen in the various Law & Order
                versions). It had a great cast, too - Bebe Neuwirth, Lili Taylor, Hope
                Davis, Tom Conti. Benton was always investigating something or other
                that didn't want him to be poking into its affairs and was always
                trying to make trouble for him for doing so. Very little connection to
                the other L&Os, and a totally different style (no "duh-duh" sound for
                instance).

                There were only 13 episodes. I liked it, but I'm one of the few.

                Here's some more info:

                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247086
                http://epguides.com/Deadline
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadline_(TV_series)

                On Feb 25, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Robert wrote:

                > I never heard about Deadline before. I do remember they did a spin-off
                > called Conviction where Stephanie March reprises her role as
                > Alexandra Cabot
                > (from Special Victims Unit). It really didn't revolve too much around
                > the
                > trials, but revolving around the personal lives of the lawyers
                > especially
                > with some of them very young as well.

                Tom Beck

                Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?

                Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them
                almost perfectly.